Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-08-2021, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,634 Times in 931 Posts

Anyone happen throw a Discmania Origin and compare to the Uplink?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2021, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,569 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunk flugget View Post
I need to probably take only the uplink out to get a feel for it but I threw it several times yesterday. Goes without saying it's not as understable as the Paradox but the one thing that struck me is how late it was turning over. Some shots with the paradox feel like they are already flipping out of my hand. The uplink seemed to go straight for quite a while and then rotated. It was certainly nice to see that.
I'm with you there! Thing I found cool is how it sort of has a predisposition to just go straight. Sure it might turn a little, it might fade a little but it's generally right near the line. The late turning anhyzer has been a little interesting and it's ability to hold an anny line up short fairly easily...

You would think from the numbers for turn/fade that they are very similar discs. I guess it's hard to say the uplink has less fade than the paradox but it sets down smoother with a slow panning fade and a much better chance of fighting out of a gentle turn... but it also turns on short 150' easier than my fresh esp comet. Paradox is a very late dump and done and can get some crazy side to side action etc.

Be interesting to play a competition round with only it as my mid and a couple putters and drivers.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:45 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 140 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
You would think from the numbers for turn/fade that they are very similar discs. I guess it's hard to say the uplink has less fade than the paradox but it sets down smoother with a slow panning fade and a much better chance of fighting out of a gentle turn... but it also turns on short 150' easier than my fresh esp comet. Paradox is a very late dump and done and can get some crazy side to side action etc.
I'd say the Uplink is noticeably more HSS with similar LSS to the paradox. The paradox is just...not stable anywhere in flight and I love it lol

Niced: (1)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Popped a 125' ish lazer through a 3' gap with the uplink into a tonal, carding my first ace with it. Nothing great haha, first shot, I usually hit that one with a seasoned glow comet, #8 at my place.

Uplink held better ground against the paradox about even tonight with the ace and the bad turn for the paradox on my steep downhill, the uplink held it like a champ... flat and straight to a late turn about halfway which it held locking onto the pin, then took a slow fade for an easy putt. I thought the paradox had a bunch of hyzer but I was very very. Very wrong. It just kept on turning ended up about 150' wide haha.

Uplink is still having trouble going too far...

Old 12-18-2021, 01:06 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 126
Niced 363 Times in 191 Posts

Possibly an unpopular take, but after a friend got me an Uplink, I'm less than impressed. I need to throw it some more, for sure, but I was hoping for a HEX "SS" and got something with significantly less HSS. Based on the reviews here, I can't even imagine a Paradox if this is more overstable....... Again, I'm not done with it, but my initial impression is somewhat less than glowing.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
Possibly an unpopular take, but after a friend got me an Uplink, I'm less than impressed. I need to throw it some more, for sure, but I was hoping for a HEX "SS" and got something with significantly less HSS. Based on the reviews here, I can't even imagine a Paradox if this is more overstable....... Again, I'm not done with it, but my initial impression is somewhat less than glowing.
Haha it's your personal results either way... no sense not having an opinion.

Yeah the uplink is more broken in comet than hex ss. In fact the middle ground would be a 176 Z comet (in my bag). The cool late turn with the uplink is definitely a little unique as well.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

First league competition round with the uplink, pretty much that 2 envy's and a couple drivers. Played it way more than I should have haha. Had some trouble getting it good and straight and on line.

One downhill little high, right on target, glided for miles over top.

Couple real straight to straight lofty fade always 8' off line haha.

Best was the long lofty huge arc anhyzers.. Wow. Got some crazy long pans and the best loft just amazing! Even at some short distances it just held them all without going too deep.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:04 PM
Eagle Member

Update: Threw the Uplink some more Sunday afternoon at the home course. Really only a couple of holes that call for it, but I wanted to make sure I gave it a fair shake. I wouldn't say that I fell in love by any means, or even that I'll bag it, but the Uplink was much more impressive this go 'round. The key seems to be that you have to throw it on hyzer no matter how hard you throw it......120' upshot, throw with hyzer, 330' drive, throw with hyzer. I was honestly a bit impressed with the distance potential, and even more so with the (believe ThrowaEnvy mentioned this) absurd, like last few revolutions, late turn. I don't recall another disc that doesn't really start turning til the last 1/3 of the flight. That being said, it may be too finicky for me to throw, and I love Meteors, so perhaps it wasn't meant to be, regardless. Looking forward to letting some other folks throw it and see what they think. Kinda hoping that the next iteration of US mid from MVP has a thicker (think Hex/Reactor) feeling rim, but perhaps I'm in the minority here.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
Update: Threw the Uplink some more Sunday afternoon at the home course. Really only a couple of holes that call for it, but I wanted to make sure I gave it a fair shake. I wouldn't say that I fell in love by any means, or even that I'll bag it, but the Uplink was much more impressive this go 'round. The key seems to be that you have to throw it on hyzer no matter how hard you throw it......120' upshot, throw with hyzer, 330' drive, throw with hyzer. I was honestly a bit impressed with the distance potential, and even more so with the (believe ThrowaEnvy mentioned this) absurd, like last few revolutions, late turn. I don't recall another disc that doesn't really start turning til the last 1/3 of the flight. That being said, it may be too finicky for me to throw, and I love Meteors, so perhaps it wasn't meant to be, regardless. e.
Hey so meteor? How does that compare to the uplink? I threw a star meteor fr for a few years, the comet won out but I'd always thought the meteor would be awesome in Z or glow Z, it just needed a touch more stability for me. At the time it was only crystal Z special runs and Jay samms had that market cornered.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:10 AM
Eagle Member

Meteor responds better to my power level, seems like the grip is more forgiving for my release. I throw both Z and ESP. They made Glo Z for a while but those are now OOP. Meteors have amazing glide, and the flight path can be manipulated to resemble a 350' FH, which is good, cuz I don't have that in me. The Meteor and Buzzz SS are similar, with the Meteor liking a bit more height and less power to shape. Good discs. The VvD tour series sparkles may be on the more OS (if that's a thing for a flippy mold) end of the spectrum.