Old 04-26-2022, 08:37 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Trying to get my backhand form to 400ft and beyond

I got into disc golf in September of last year, and have been pretty consumed with trying to improve my backhand form. I naturally made some progress, as my form was so bad when I first started, but Iíve hit a wall in the last month or so. Itís hard to say what my typical max distance is, as I have a hard time on focusing on one aspect of my throw to fix. However, I feel safe in saying that a good throw with a Teebird3 for me goes about 340ft. I throw a few 370ft shots when I do fieldwork, but they arenít consistent at all.

Here is a link to my most recent fieldwork:
https://youtu.be/1dMzkkBrya4

This is a pretty average/slightly above average throw for me. Probably went 340ft.

List of things I need to work on:

1. My hands are way too high up in the power pocket when I do my x-step. I also need to get rid of the disc twitch thing I do. It all started with me trying to make sure Iím ďpouring the coffee.Ē Itís been incredibly hard to break.

2. I ďreachbachĒ way too early in my throw. This actually is the hardest thing Iíve tried to fix and would love some drills to work on it. Itís one of those things I feel like Iím not doing, but when I watch the film back, Iím always doing it.

3. Iím not sure, but I think I open up my shoulder way too soon. What do yíall think? Any drills for this?

4. I canít really tell if Iím properly transferring my weight into my plant leg. I donít think I do as I donít sweep my back foot behind me after planting, like SeaBas22 describes in the power of posture video. Should I just keep working on the one leg drill? Kicking the ball? Crushing the can?

Thatís what Iíve noticed but would love to hear other thoughts on what I should focus on first.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2022, 10:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 257
Niced 7,274 Times in 4,185 Posts

You need to get your body to shift in dynamic alignment/balance to the front leg/heel. You stay on your toes and thrust/tip your upper spine/head over top the front leg. Keep your chin up above your shoulder/s so they can swing freely underneath the centered head.

Crush the Can, Swivel Stairs, One Leg, Turbo Encabulator, Door Frame, Bow and Arrow Drills.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=118948
Old 04-28-2022, 10:55 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I spent some time working on the one leg drill, but I donít think Iím doing it right. I went out today and almost solely went back to standstills as I felt really out of wack trying to work on shifting my weight into my plant leg.

Link to todayís practice:
https://youtu.be/3f0h-8hsNYM

All the standstills I did felt super powerless and itís got to be related to my weight transfer. Iím timing it incorrectly? I canít tell if my weight has shifted onto my back foot.

Should I feel all my weight on my back foot at the start of the throw?

It feels super unnatural to keep all my weight on my back foot and step toward the target with my plant foot. Is that what Iím supposed to be doing or should I have already started shifting my weight at that point? I didnít focus on my ďreachbackĒ today, but itís still extremely early.

Lots of questions, but I feel completely lost at the moment.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:29 PM
* Ace Member *

See the previous link I posted about weightshift. Shift first then swing. You are swinging before you shift.

I feel the vast majority of my weight pressure shift to the front foot before the swing starts forward. See KJUSA below.

Kinetic Sequence
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133319

Niced: (1)
Old 04-29-2022, 04:48 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 177 Times in 128 Posts

i hope this helps. for me this feeling to get it right is difficult because i feel like i am going to fall away from the teepad when my rear foot picks up. (if im standing still and i pick up my rear leg then i start to fall in the direction that my leg gets picked up, i think thats what my body is used to and needs help overwriting). however, when done correctly (with the momentum of of my body going towards the basket) when the rear foot picks up i dont fall away from the teepad. i dont know if im explaining it correctly but to me there almost feels like i have a pause at the peak of the backswing to then when my rear foot picks up. when the rear leg goes off the ground i feel more weight on my front leg and my body starts to automatically uncoil (or to me it feels this way)
Old 05-08-2022, 12:03 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

[QUOTE=sidewinder22;3806211]See the previous link I posted about weightshift. Shift first then swing. You are swinging before you shift.

I feel the vast majority of my weight pressure shift to the front foot before the swing starts forward. See KJUSA below.]

Iíve been really trying to focus on the weight shift during my fieldwork and have varying success. I actually broke 400í for the first time last weekend with a 411Ē throw. It felt basically effortless and I really felt the timing with my plant footís heel coming down before I started my swing. No arm movement was felt. It was like my body forced my arm to move once my heel came down and basically ďjerkedĒ my upper body around. Unfortunately I didnít film it, but I donít think it would matter as I only recreated it once more. Since then Iíve been getting a lot of 360-390ft throws with a lot of trash throws mixed in.

Iím going to video myself today and post it this afternoon. However, I wanted to clarify on what the weight shift feels like for the back leg (right for me as Iím a lefty). Are you pushing off your back leg towards the target? Iíve been doing a lot of reading and have seen some people refer to it as being similar to be riding a skateboard. Iíve never skateboarded, but after trying to get my back leg off the ground by sweeping it backwards, I could see how it might be how it feels to skateboard.

Also, when your brace leg lands, is the ball of your foot the first part that touches the ground? It looks like in that Kevin Jones image that the inside of his foot has hit the ground first. Currently the ball of my foot hits the ground, and then I ďslamĒ my heel down. Which then causes my upper body to rotate towards the target. A problem IĎve noticed with slamming my heel down is I will sometimes end up throwing a turnover, just because the weight shifts to my heel and I end up rotating on the back of my feet. Obviously doing something wrong there, but I havenít read anyone having a similar issue. Itís not a disc issue because I definitely donít have the power to be turning over a Wraith
Old 05-09-2022, 12:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Correct. If you are getting more speed it will turn the disc more. Throw it with more hyzer.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:50 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Correct. If you are getting more speed it will turn the disc more. Throw it with more hyzer.
I didn’t get any footage yesterday; however, I didn’t really see any improvements. Managed to get one out to 420ft, but I’m worried my form isn’t actually improving and I’m just flexing my overstable drivers out to these distances.

Today’s form: https://youtu.be/s-Fs6GLyBNM

Here is my form from today. This was a 400ft shot. I still feel like I’m starting my “reach back” and rotation too early. Does my brace look any better? I can tell my upper body is still getting ahead of my lower body, but I think my brace is somewhat better. It never feels as strong as it does when I’m going through the motions in my living room without a disc.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

You can't really brace or swing or rotate properly unless you are shifting in dynamic balance.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134415

Old 05-10-2022, 04:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 194 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
Does my brace look any better? I can tell my upper body is still getting ahead of my lower body, but I think my brace is somewhat better. It never feels as strong as it does when Iím going through the motions in my living room without a disc.
Unfortunately no, you're not really braced. What you're doing in the latest clip with your shoulder shouldn't happen when you got the timing and brace right. Shoulders should rotate, not pull.

I feel like your X-step is messing up a lot here. It goes too far beyond your left foot, and as a result your right leg is pointed away from the target more than it should be, making it hard to shift your center of gravity forward.