Old 07-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 105 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
PIAS had a new shipment in and now I have a lipstick red Star Wraith. It looks like its 166 grams. A few throws in, and I like it. Be interesting to compare and contrast it with the 173 champ one I have.
The lighter weight stars are awesome. I have a 166 that's an absolute bomber
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 872 Times in 415 Posts

About 4 months ago I started to click with my form changes and decided to try out some old discs I had laying around. I only 1-step because of some lower back injuries I have.

I grabbed a 170 DX Wraith that wasn't quite right for me a few summers ago. This time it was perfect. I really like Pro and since Pro is more stable than DX I decided to try a 158 Pro Wraith (the lightest Infinite had). I've never had a disc that felt so 'lively' and 'snappy' before. It was strange to see it get up to speed so quickly and just start sailing.

Last Friday I was practicing at the course and was easily surpassing baskets I couldn't reach before. I decided to hit the Soccer field on the way to the parking lot. I thought it would be fun to throw through the goalposts. The first shot was short, as were all the others. My best shots were constantly 20-30' short. I was so disappointed in myself...not because I couldn't reach the magic '300' number, but because what I thought was improvement was actually a regression.

I thought about it and figured Soccer must be Metric so I got onto Google Maps and measured the field. It was 370' long. That's when I realized Soccer fields aren't 300', and I'm a moron who can throw 350'.

Long live the Wraith!

Old 07-12-2020, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 632
Niced 2,703 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I carry a couple pros and a star. I put a dx Wraith in my bag for my last road trip in case of any sketchy water carries. Now I kind of like it and it's in and out quite a bit. Really straight flight with a dependable fade at the end at first, now I get a little turn out it on a good throw.

Plus they're like 8 bucks.
that was my problem i started to carry them as water discs and i found that i loved them

Niced: (1)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,555 Times in 741 Posts

I almost threw the damn thing in a pond yesterday too.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-12-2020, 09:22 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 93 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirepizza View Post
The lighter weight stars are awesome. I have a 166 that's an absolute bomber
It's a newer star plastic. Candy coat shiny, with a few sparkles in it. Be interested to see how it breaks in.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 13 Times in 6 Posts

How do Pro wraiths fly right out of the box? I carry a beat in EchoStar that I use for longer turn overs. A Champ for straight to slight fade. Will it fly like either of those?
Old 07-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmonty10 View Post
How do Pro wraiths fly right out of the box? I carry a beat in EchoStar that I use for longer turn overs. A Champ for straight to slight fade. Will it fly like either of those?
Longer turnover sounds about right. I lose discs too often to beat them into flippy, so I like a Pro Wraith for the flippy distance slot to complement my Stars.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 319 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmonty10 View Post
Ive been bagging a low 170s flatter gummier pro wraith for flippier forehand distance shots and like it a lot. It was pretty true to numbers right out of the box, and now has picked up a little more high speed turn, and the fade has mellowed a bit (didnt fade a ton even when new).

Only issue I have with it, and its more me than the disc...I like throwing it with a hair of hyzer and if Im not clicking with my timing I have a tendency to wrist roll at the end of the hyzer release and itll turn and burn. Flat releases with a beefier disc it doesnt tend to happen, I have the same issues when I need to thread the needle with a roadrunner on a hyzerflip and try to put too much on it.

On a good clean pull I can get it out over 400 on pretty much a straight hyzerflip laser beam.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 13 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Ive been bagging a low 170s flatter gummier pro wraith for flippier forehand distance shots and like it a lot. It was pretty true to numbers right out of the box, and now has picked up a little more high speed turn, and the fade has mellowed a bit (didnt fade a ton even when new).

Only issue I have with it, and its more me than the disc...I like throwing it with a hair of hyzer and if Im not clicking with my timing I have a tendency to wrist roll at the end of the hyzer release and itll turn and burn. Flat releases with a beefier disc it doesnt tend to happen, I have the same issues when I need to thread the needle with a roadrunner on a hyzerflip and try to put too much on it.

On a good clean pull I can get it out over 400 on pretty much a straight hyzerflip laser beam.

Awesome thanks for the response. I think I will pick one up and try it out. I love the wraith more and more every time I play

Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

My 171g Star Wraith has beaten in sweetly and has a nice controllable turn. Looking for a fresh, heavy, OS complement to it, but stock is low at all my shops.

Anyone tried the Val Mandujano signature run? Curious if it's as OS as a typical Star.

(Or I might pay a premium for one of the Halos - I hear they're pretty beefy).