Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 54 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Discsport here in Sweden have 37pc of Frontline-X Mortar in stock, and only 5 Euro in shipping

But is the Mortar really that close to a Caiman? . .i have a few of the Pink Grow Mortar and i was thinking of trying a FR Caiman just for fun
Mortar has more glide in the Frontline-X plastic than a Star Caiman, but they are very similar.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2020, 01:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 744 Times in 450 Posts

I've got a 175g Champion Caiman (flat) & when it was new it showed that 5.5 speed out of my hand. As it's worn in a bit I've noticed it's gotten more sluggish. I didn't notice this with the BuzzzOS & for the time being I've switched back to it. Caiman is still great but I didn't expect that.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 246 Times in 89 Posts
Default Caiman

It's all a matter of arm speed and use pattern. I use a Zone and Caiman in similar situations on approaches. Caiman (164g) if I need glide, Zone (also 164g) if I want plop, 90% touch forehands on both. I'm 67 and both are outstanding touch discs. I used a Recon Mortar for a while (169g) and at my arm speed and use pattern definitely didn't get glide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Riverdog; 03-11-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 617 Times in 402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
It's all a matter of arm speed and use pattern. I use a Zone and Caiman in similar situations on approaches. Caiman (164g) if I need glide, Zone (also 164g) if I want plop, 90% touch forehands on both. I'm 67 and both are outstanding touch discs. I used a Recon Mortar for a while (169g) and at my arm speed and use pattern definitely didn't get glide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is kind of crazy the level of glide you can get out of the Mortar vs some of these other OS options.

The Mortar and the Caiman are compared pretty regularly, but they are surprisingly different. Innova has the fast OS upshot disc slot covered with the Caiman - interested to see if they can figure out something slower and OS. AviarX3 seems like a good option, if not a little deep when compared to the Zone etc.

Personally I rock a Rhyno/Mortar combo for that brick/glidey OS coverage.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 54 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
It is kind of crazy the level of glide you can get out of the Mortar vs some of these other OS options.

The Mortar and the Caiman are compared pretty regularly, but they are surprisingly different. Innova has the fast OS upshot disc slot covered with the Caiman - interested to see if they can figure out something slower and OS. AviarX3 seems like a good option, if not a little deep when compared to the Zone etc.

Personally I rock a Rhyno/Mortar combo for that brick/glidey OS coverage.
The slower speed makes the AviarX3 much more valuable for short upshots than a 4-speed Zone or Harp, in my opinion. It is deeper, but still comes out clean. If I need something faster, I go to the Caiman (or Mortar if that's what I'm bagging at the time).

I personally can't imagine bagging both a Zone and a Mortar.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 617 Times in 402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
The slower speed makes the AviarX3 much more valuable for short upshots than a 4-speed Zone or Harp, in my opinion. It is deeper, but still comes out clean. If I need something faster, I go to the Caiman (or Mortar if that's what I'm bagging at the time).

I personally can't imagine bagging both a Zone and a Mortar.
I would not bag a Zone and a Mortar, especially not a more mild, glidey Zone. However I will admit that they do fly like a putter and a mid respectively, with the mortar having more lateral movement overall regardless of stability.

I would for sure rather bag one or two Zones, or alternatively a slower AX3 or Rhyno plus a faster Caiman or Mortar.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:02 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 92 Times in 73 Posts

Picked up a Champ Caiman in a hazy mint green. 'Softer' feeling, and seems more prone to scuffing than any of my other champion discs. Flat, just like my Big Jerm Mortar which it is in competition with for that spot in my bag. So far. I like the Caiman a bit more. It seems to get more distance (easier) which takes care of the overlap problem I was experiencing with carrying the Mortar and the Aviarx3.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 744 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
Picked up a Champ Caiman in a hazy mint green. 'Softer' feeling, and seems more prone to scuffing than any of my other champion discs. Flat, just like my Big Jerm Mortar which it is in competition with for that spot in my bag. So far. I like the Caiman a bit more. It seems to get more distance (easier) which takes care of the overlap problem I was experiencing with carrying the Mortar and the Aviarx3.
The Champion Caiman is really good. I've done a fair amount of work between my Caiman, Drone, BuzzzOS & Zone. The Caiman just feels the best for my FH grip & that keeps the consistency.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 313 Times in 153 Posts

I’ve got a pink protostar star caiman that I throw once in a blue moon. Are the flatter champs any more beefy? I’ve felt a few of the opaque flat champs and they seem nice. Or thrown either compared to the croc? Felt up a few crocs and they’ve got a bit of a weird shape but look like they’d be beefy. Felt some flat ones, but also saw some domey ones.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:04 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
I’ve got a pink protostar star caiman that I throw once in a blue moon. Are the flatter champs any more beefy? I’ve felt a few of the opaque flat champs and they seem nice. Or thrown either compared to the croc? Felt up a few crocs and they’ve got a bit of a weird shape but look like they’d be beefy. Felt some flat ones, but also saw some domey ones.
Try a Metal flake Gator, those have the least amount of glide of any disc I have seen.