Old 09-06-2020, 11:38 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 93 Times in 61 Posts
Default Modifying disc profile

Is it ‘legal’ to use sandpaper to slightly change the profile of a disc?

Case-1 lightly sand the edge of the lip to make it more comfortable and less sharp

Case-2 aggressively sand the profile down to change the disc from stable to understable
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2020, 12:05 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,604 Times in 2,021 Posts

Case 1 = legal... perfectly fine to remove flashing
While it may techilnically be part of the manufacturing process, the disc wasn't meant to be produced that way.

Case 2= illegal (section B, below)

Quote:
813.01 Illegal Disc
Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 09:47
A. Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.

B. A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded, or painted with a material of detectable thickness, are illegal. Adding a device to make a disc easier to find (for example, a light, ribbon, or chalk dust) is allowed only when night or snow play has been announced by the Director.

C. A disc which is cracked or has a hole in it is illegal.

D. A disc that is questioned by another player or an Official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.

E. A player who throws an illegal disc during play receives two penalty throws. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.03 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked. A player receives a warning for the first throw of an unmarked disc. A player receives one penalty throw for each subsequent throw of an unmarked disc.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-07-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:35 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

I will also say the rules above also allow the use of minor sanding to wear during play. Large enough chunks/gouges into discs as the discs most likely will be then illegal too and sanding to have a smooth spot again would be more then a light sanding is how one tells if a wear spot is too much. Fortunately modern premium plastics have mostly eliminated the need for sanding during a round or between rounds though it will happen at times be the run of plastic was a bit soft in a Star/ESP like plastic or you hit a hard enough object/object close enough.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:32 AM
Birdie Member

Good comments, thank you!
Old 09-08-2020, 12:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 121
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 392 Times in 184 Posts

i was just having a discussion over the weekend with someone who had boiled a dx firebird then placed it under something heavy to make it flat. he said he did it before that was deemed illegal. it never lost it's stability.

this makes me wonder about innova's flattening fee... they are flattening discs after they have been molded. since they are the producer of the disc, do they have the right to modify a disc after molding to alter flight characteristics?
Old 09-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 92 Times in 73 Posts

The Nate Sexton 2020 in the bag showed us that he carries a foam sanding block in his side pouch for handling those unfortunate nicks that things like rocks and metal can introduce.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:48 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
The Nate Sexton 2020 in the bag showed us that he carries a foam sanding block in his side pouch for handling those unfortunate nicks that things like rocks and metal can introduce.
I remember that. After sanding is there an ‘inspector’ or does Nate get called by Paul for illegal mod?
Old 09-10-2020, 09:57 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
Wow, this is really good news.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,306 Times in 871 Posts

Personally if I have a sharp rim, I use a 10" long very worn bastard file. It straddles both sides of the disc so it does an even job with just two strokes all the way around. If I was right handed and buying a file I would get something finer like a "mill" cut. The trick is having it long enough and doing it evenly. It makes the disc less LSS for sure and a little less HSS.

If you sand the underside of the nose on the wing you will decrease the HSS more than the LSS. (Should there be sharp plastic there)

Old 09-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Personally if I have a sharp rim, I use a 10" long very worn bastard file. It straddles both sides of the disc so it does an even job with just two strokes all the way around. If I was right handed and buying a file I would get something finer like a "mill" cut. The trick is having it long enough and doing it evenly. It makes the disc less LSS for sure and a little less HSS.

If you sand the underside of the nose on the wing you will decrease the HSS more than the LSS. (Should there be sharp plastic there)
I sanded the bottom edge off a 175g Destroyer so it wouldn’t cut my knuckle again, and it did take it from meathook to usable at modest arm speed and with imperfect form. It’s nothing like the turning, beat up 165g, but usable.