Old 02-24-2018, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 210
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 244 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnipseed View Post
We could bicker about this 'til next Friday, but I have a few other things to do. The point is that we, I, broke the rules and no one involved cares. I would guess that this happens at most events, for a variety of reasons, and very rarely hasany impact on so-called competitive fairness. Most humans are bright enough to evaluate complex situations and make quick and essentially correct decisions. The rules may not be able to anticipate complex situations, and do not create or guarantee an equal playing field. How about this: would you break the rules to your own disadvantage in the interests of sportsmanship and fair play? I sure would.
Quote:
I would never break rules to be nice to my group. I have as much spine as a normal boy ought, and regularly call other's faults. It DOES very often happen that examples such as those given are actually thought to be common sense, full stop. They are not ways of interpreting or enforcing a rule. They are outside the rules, and depend on character over legislation.

Your comment regarding "no one involved cares," is not quite accurate (with one minor exception). EVERYONE in your division is involved in the decisions to follow rules or not follow rules. SO unless everyone in your DIVISION was consulted, you cannot accurately make the assertion that "no one involved cares." None of the players you consulted with cared, yes. And the rest of your quote (in red above) is supposition. It may happen in the cards you're on, but if you haven't, for example, routinely observed other cards in your division and collected significant amounts of data, then your guess is only supposition if that's true also.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 79
Niced 33 Times in 19 Posts

This does post an interesting question to an event we run. We usually run it unsanctioned, but did do it PDGA once. Basically, we ran it at two 9 hole courses about a 1/4 mile or so from each other. You basically play one 9 hole loop, then go play the other, but we count it as one 18 hole round. Most chose to drive from course A to B, but they did so in their own vehicles, or carpooled. It does pose a good question to if this is technically legal. It's probably one of those things that no one cares about if it is illegal, but it may technically be against the rules.

Of course, as I said, it's usually run unsanctioned, so we can just do what we want.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 210
Niced 244 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
This does post an interesting question to an event we run. We usually run it unsanctioned, but did do it PDGA once. Basically, we ran it at two 9 hole courses about a 1/4 mile or so from each other. You basically play one 9 hole loop, then go play the other, but we count it as one 18 hole round. Most chose to drive from course A to B, but they did so in their own vehicles, or carpooled. It does pose a good question to if this is technically legal. It's probably one of those things that no one cares about if it is illegal, but it may technically be against the rules.

Of course, as I said, it's usually run unsanctioned, so we can just do what we want.
I don't see the problem therein; however, if you would like to be sure, then simply message or email the BIg Dog for a tour manager ruling.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:00 AM
Par Member

Niced 82 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Your comment regarding "no one involved cares," is not quite accurate (with one minor exception). EVERYONE in your division is involved in the decisions to follow rules or not follow rules. SO unless everyone in your DIVISION was consulted, you cannot accurately make the assertion that "no one involved cares." None of the players you consulted with cared, yes. And the rest of your quote (in red above) is supposition. It may happen in the cards you're on, but if you haven't, for example, routinely observed other cards in your division and collected significant amounts of data, then your guess is only supposition if that's true also.
You are correct. Every player was involved in our decision. It would be more accurate of me to say that everyone who was aware of the situation was consulted. I was and am unconcerned about the potential feelings of every contestant, only about the real consequences of real actions. The people in an obvious position, as eyewitnesses, to be emotionally and mentally impacted by the decision are the only ones I care about.

I have, incidentally, accumulated an enormous mass of data regarding player attitudes and behavior.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,037 Times in 1,365 Posts

The ones to ask are the ones on other cards who lost a stroke due to something unfortunate happening, took their stroke in accordance with the rules, and lost to someone who didn't.

There are likely some players who didn't have that misfortune, but know that if they had, they would have accepted it, too.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The ones to ask are the ones on other cards who lost a stroke due to something unfortunate happening, took their stroke in accordance with the rules, and lost to someone who didn't.

There are likely some players who didn't have that misfortune, but know that if they had, they would have accepted it, too.
Ddddddavey... what they don't know can't hurt them. Besides, I beat way too many people to poll them all and offer reparation.

I played a lowly C-tier a couple of weeks ago (funny how people pretend that the tier has something to do with keeping to the rules... "C-tiers are supposed to be relaxed, fun events," and I'm not sure what As and Bs are for) and two of us on my card made a game of counting another players penalties according to the rules. He was an older, experienced player who didn't care, so he picked up gimmes, didn't mark his lie, drank Coors Light, and burned his pipe. By the rules, he would have been disqualified, and would have racked up something around 20 violations in one round. Of course, he may have behaved himself if we complained, but darnit, we just could find any reason to complain. He didn't care about the sillier of the rules but he never tried to do anything unfair.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-03-2018, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,037 Times in 1,365 Posts

Sigh.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 507 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Ddddddavey... what they don't know can't hurt them. Besides, I beat way too many people to poll them all and offer reparation.

I played a lowly C-tier a couple of weeks ago (funny how people pretend that the tier has something to do with keeping to the rules... "C-tiers are supposed to be relaxed, fun events," and I'm not sure what As and Bs are for) and two of us on my card made a game of counting another players penalties according to the rules. He was an older, experienced player who didn't care, so he picked up gimmes, didn't mark his lie, drank Coors Light, and burned his pipe. By the rules, he would have been disqualified, and would have racked up something around 20 violations in one round. Of course, he may have behaved himself if we complained, but darnit, we just could find any reason to complain. He didn't care about the sillier of the rules but he never tried to do anything unfair.
The most fun I've ever had was playing with guys like this that DGAF. The least fun I've ever had was playing with win-at-all-cost anal jerks who would have called every violation, and then some.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 67
Niced 236 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:

I would start believing your stories more if they were posted by someone not hiding behind a screen name.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
I would start believing your stories more if they were posted by someone not hiding behind a screen name.
Credibility on this forum means about as much to me as a festering bowl of dog snot!