Old 04-18-2019, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 979 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
Everything is a no brainer until you think about the logistics.

Step 1: Someone wants PDGA to run all aspects of tour

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit!!
I think you may have missed my point
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2019, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 129
Niced 506 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Thanks, ok...so the PDGA does not own Udisc, but if they invested in it, I would assume there is some level of ownership for future roi. Membership fees are paying for the investment of internal app development, udisc partnerships, udisc doing live scoring for pdga events. You have no problem with your membership fees paying for that, but you wouldn't want your fees also going toward growing the pro side...
Correct. UDisc has some (admittedly small) benefit to me, whereas growing a redundant pro tour (or taking over the current one and locking out any other media) does not.

TBH, I'm not sure what UDisc has to do with the discussion at hand, other than it's something else the PDGA is spending money on...
Old 04-18-2019, 03:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 262
Niced 92 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post

We are going to fail to see this the same way, because I think the idea of a non-player fan base is a fantasy.
So much this. Growth in disc golf is not being done because of the pro side. Growth in disc golf is from grassroots initiatives at local courses through tournaments, minis and casual rounds.

Paul McBeth is making thousands of dollars for Discraft based on new discs that he is selling to players who are already playing, but any new player who has no idea about any pro tour is not going to care about McBeth, or his switch in sponsors, or his 4 time world championship.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 768 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_a_miller View Post
So much this. Growth in disc golf is not being done because of the pro side. Growth in disc golf is from grassroots initiatives at local courses through tournaments, minis and casual rounds.
The grass roots rise of casual disc golf is amazing to say the least, but this thread is about growing public awareness of the pro side and how the pro side may or not benefit from the PDGA taking a larger interest in it.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,037 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
As a PDGA member - if there was a bump in membership fees and it went toward producing high quality coverage? Awesome. A lot of people here are very against "supporting the pros" with the money of the members - but what I want as a fan, in addition to being a tournament player, is great coverage. If the pro players are elevated financially by the exposure - I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with this kind of money being involved directly in paying players on the tour - but their elevation as a result of having great live product? Sweet.

I'm okay with what the PDGA has done thus far for me as a player, what has happened in establishing IDGC, and so on - so I like how things are set up now. But if someone can find a way to afford better coverage, I'm for it.
There simply aren't enough of you.

Not enough to justify the PDGA putting considerable resources into media productions.

And if there were.....the PDGA wouldn't have to, because there would be media companies and sponsors competing for your eyeballs.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,037 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
The grass roots rise of casual disc golf is amazing to say the least, but this thread is about growing public awareness of the pro side and how the pro side may or not benefit from the PDGA taking a larger interest in it.
The PDGA has already squandered considerable resources on trying to grow public awareness of the pro tour. For a couple of years they had a well-paid position in charge of such things, which I think resulted in a cider sponsorship. They put disc golf on cable TV, with clips on The Beach Channel. During the ADGT fiasco in 2016, I believe Brian said they had looked into ESPN3 but dismissed it as not practical. I'm sure they're still looking for ways to promote the pro tour side of disc golf.

No one has cracked the nut of getting non-disc-golfers to watch, and many of us consider it a folly to think we ever will. It's much more of a participation sport, than a spectator sport.

But, who knows---the grass-roots growth, in courses and players and youth programs and scholastic programs and the rest---may one day yield a large enough base to create a sufficient fan base.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-18-2019, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,076 Times in 518 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, ok...so the PDGA does not own Udisc, but if they invested in it, I would assume there is some level of ownership for future roi. Membership fees are paying for the investment of internal app development, udisc partnerships, udisc doing live scoring for pdga events. You have no problem with your membership fees paying for that, but you wouldn't want your fees also going toward growing the pro side. okayyyyyy..

I haven't been around disc golf that long, but it's completely obvious the pro side is severely lacking when it comes to public awareness. Seems like every few years something comes along trying to get to the next level (which has to be growing the non player fan base). And then it sputters out. Why hasn't the PDGA addressed this...years ago? Is the am side of the organization so financially lucrative the pro side just isn't a priority?

If so...why not just keep things as they are with the PDGA and get a team together and start working on the PDGATOUR which focuses just on the pros? Would that be such a bad thing?

Dude, the people who have been around for decades are trying to tell you.

The Pro Side push has been tried over and over again.

It hasn't worked and proved to be a big money pit, that's why it sputters out.

We've had corporate dollars involved in Pro Disc Golf in the past and they left because it wasn't sustainable.

Everyone eventually figured out that AMs are what fuel disc golf growth and that it would probably be smarter to focus on resources with them.

That kind of bottom up growth is more sustainable.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 97 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Dude, the people who have been around for decades are trying to tell you.

The Pro Side push has been tried over and over again.

It hasn't worked and proved to be a big money pit, that's why it sputters out.

We've had corporate dollars involved in Pro Disc Golf in the past and they left because it wasn't sustainable.

Everyone eventually figured out that AMs are what fuel disc golf growth and that it would probably be smarter to focus on resources with them.

That kind of bottom up growth is more sustainable.
Agreed.

Disc golf is a participant sport...not a spectator sport. Of course, there are opportunities to showcase the sport played at its highest level, but growth will continue to be from the bottom up.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 129
Niced 506 Times in 243 Posts

Even the larger spectator sports have been played (at least) recreationally by a sizeable portion of their viewers.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 217 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
The difference would be that the PDGA offers funding assistance to Tournament Directors or in some cases funds all of the media production.
We definitely do this for National Tour and Major events.