Old 04-25-2019, 12:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 210
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 244 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If taking the scorecard(s) for the group removes any notice of hole assignments from the board, I'll say it again, the TD is doing it wrong. There should be a scoreport card for each player on the board, and then a separate scorecard for the group (or separate scorecards for each player if that's how it's done). The end result of everyone being sent out on the course should not be an empty/blank scoreport.
That's what we had. Scorepoint. Every player is listed under his/her starting hole. AND each hole has one scorecard for the entire hole. Except this tournament had two full courses and two full Scorepoints.

Now, semantics with the ifs/ands/buts/candies/and/nuts... but Player A (top of card) ultimately took the rules sheet and the scorecard for the group. He just got lost and went to the front course #15 instead of back course #15.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2019, 12:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
The best way I have seen these type of situations handled is the TD announces each card starting with the furthest hole and the foursome walks to the hole together. Yes it is a pain but it only takes 15 minutes or so. This prevent the great pile up after the player meeting at the board.

What type of TD places someone at the top of the card that does not know where they are going? It is not the type of issue I see in our area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
Well versed TD don't put players unfamiliar with the course at the top. If it's unavoidable I always say at players meeting if you are not sure where you are going to ask me. I'll happily instruct players on the shortest walk to their starting hole.
Two things problematic there.

1)We had 185 players (1 ghost card apparently) on 36 holes. Players from all over the area, some from out of the area, some from out of state. A very popular B-tier. No way he knows who all's not familiar with the course.
2) PDGA comp manual doesn't even allow the TD "to select certain people to be on certain cards" anymore, without the special exception for media coverage. Otherwise he has three ways to assign the card/group assignments - Random, by rating (within divisions) with the S-curve or without the S-curve, or by ratings without the S-curve
Old 04-25-2019, 12:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Further, no where in the rules does the phrase "benefit of the doubt" appear. The actual text of the only rule in which a derivative of the word "benefit" is referenced (801.A): "When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the ruling is based on the interpretation that is most beneficial to the thrower."

The concept of benefit of the doubt isn't supposed to be an invitation to choose not to enforce a rule, it is, as robdeforge quoted, merely supposed to be a tiebreaker if the group is split on a ruling. In the OP's case, there's really no split or gray area of doubt. There's only (somewhat understandable) reluctance to enforce the rules as written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
that is a common misconception
Can I "SUPER-NICE" a comment?

Niced: (1)

Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoloseth View Post
In the spirit of being fair, especially on courses that have long distances from tournament central to starting holes I would give the player about 3 minutes to show up - he’s lost just like his disc ;-). After that I’d have to give him par plus 4 for not being there and proceed according to the rules. I’ve been on both ends of that (got completely lost at my first tournament at cedar hill trying to run through coyote and find my hole)
Seth!

How ironic. This happened at Coyote.