Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,430 Times in 665 Posts

I used to throw most of my grenades with a G* Leopard. Not often, but they worked well for up and over, don't think I can throw it over 200ft though. I practiced for a while throwing everything in my bag, you can shape them left or right depending on the stability.

I used to throw chicken wings when I played freestyle. I can throw a putter around 150ft. Never tried with anything else and I have only used it once in a round that I can remember when I had to get out of a bush. Don't see much use for the shot, there are other shots I have thrown since when in those spots that are far more accurate.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,036 Posts

I guess if you absolutely had no FH or ability to throw a BH anny/turnover and you aren't ambidextrous enough to throw off-handed, then a chicken wing could be useful for counter-clockwise shots. But I'd be hard-pressed to see the chicken wing as easier to learn the other three.

I actually threw a grenade on a total whim the other day and it actually worked. I've always sucked at throwing spike hyzers on enough vertical angle so I might try throwing grenades more often.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 171 Times in 91 Posts

the 'chicken-wing' is more appropriately called the 'over-hand wrist flip'...

Niced: (3)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.2
Courses Played: 239
Niced 1,528 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
the 'chicken-wing' is more appropriately called the 'over-hand wrist flip'...
Lol.....what are the appropriate names for the tomahawk, scoobie, grenade, flick, hyzer, patent pending......

I have heard this called a chicken wing for decades,
Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 132
Niced 920 Times in 489 Posts

I started throwing some chickenwings for fun the other day and realized I am pretty good at it.

It seems like a really useful escape shot - basically you can throw a LHBH flight path from a release point way out right. I've used it a couple times already where it probably saved me a stroke getting out of jail.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-14-2019, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 172
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 137 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I started throwing some chickenwings for fun the other day and realized I am pretty good at it.

It seems like a really useful escape shot - basically you can throw a LHBH flight path from a release point way out right. I've used it a couple times already where it probably saved me a stroke getting out of jail.
A RHFH shot can do the same thing?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 132
Niced 920 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
A RHFH shot can do the same thing?
Yeah. It's not quite the same, but mostly yeah. Chxwngz are more fun though.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 142
Niced 248 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
I've thrown grenades many times in tournaments/leagues. Usually when you need to get over a tall obstacle and it's a fast green. Meaning- you need the disc to stop where it lands without skipping or rolling away. Disc goes up, disc comes straight down. Less side to side movement and less potential ground action than a thumber/tomahawk. Also less affected by the wind. But a little harder to get a clean release and range properly IMO. I see no real practical disc golf application for a chicken wing, it's really more of a specialty/trick ultimate frisbee shot.

I dare anyone to post a video throwing a grenade 350'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Even Simon probably can't throw one 350' that's crazy far for a grenade. One of my favorite shots to throw, I'd say I use it once every two rounds give or take?

@Buzzz you mess with putters/drivers/overstable/understable with them or just stick to one mold?
I guarantee that with an inverted bonapane grip Simon could throw a grenade way... way... WAY beyond 350'. The way that the disc sits in your hand allows you to get much more over the top of the disc allowing you to start the disc closer to flipping back to right-side-up, and then it just carries looking like a backhand from the opposite hand (it also hurts a LOT less on the release). I can only do it with very flippy stuff, though - VERY FLIPPY. I'd say nothing more stable than a low-160s disc of the Roadrunner/Destiny type (I once had a Pro Destroyer with six full years of use on it that I could do it with). I threw one with a Diamond Lite that mashed a tree on the fly on a 330' straight shot about two months ago practicing with some friends. I threw one last week with a 172 Star Roadrunner that I failed to get 225'. Definitely need a mega flippy disc.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 435 Times in 221 Posts

I love the grenade. I'm one of the many folks who can't throw overhand shots because my weak/injured shoulder, so the discovery of the grenade was a game changer. I have also found that the grenade always hits and sticks exactly where it lands. No ground play/roll like other overhand shots.

I watched a guy throw a chicken wing at my local course. Then I punched him in the face.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 247 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Even Simon probably can't throw one 350' that's crazy far for a grenade. One of my favorite shots to throw, I'd say I use it once every two rounds give or take?

@Buzzz you mess with putters/drivers/overstable/understable with them or just stick to one mold?
I’ve messed around with various discs over the years. Typically for all of my “specialty” shots my first choice is a Firebird or very overstable midrange (Gator/Caiman). For grenades specifically, I find that drivers are too rough on the thumb. Prefer to throw the Caiman if I need to put a lot on it. But usually just a Wizard for relatively short distance grenades, just to get over a tall line of bushes or something.