Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

Maybe the solution is to be psychic and pick a drought year or two, in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 680 Times in 585 Posts

I was thinking the Native Locust, has thorns on it that protect the plant. Not sure how that plant would do being submerged for 2 months of the year. I know it survives being buried in snow all winter during a winter that can last 5-6 months as a plant 3 feet high or higher.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-18-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 140
Niced 25 Times in 16 Posts

I'm not sure where you're located, I'm in zone 8b as well, but the PNW is a unique environment so what grows well here may not fare as well in your area. Bald cypress, as mentioned, is a good choice--not particularly fast growing here, but they are a tough tree and can take abuse. Members of the poplar genus tend like wet soil and are fast growing--black cottonwood (Populus trichocarpa), white poplar (Populus alba), and quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides) to name a few. They also like to send out suckers, so they can really fill out an area once established--sort of a double edged sword though, depending on the maintenance aspect. The aforementioned tulip poplar is incidentally not actually a poplar, but it is a very solid choice. Western redcedar (Thuja plicata) is a favorite of mine and it does well in wet soil. Red maple, aka "swamp maple" is another good choice as its name implies. Red alder (Alnus rubra) likes wet conditions, but I'd advise against it--it's a relatively short lived tree and a lot of fairways get opened up as they secede. Plus, beavers seem to really like them. Willows are generally good choices too, they tend to grow fairly bushy though, depending on what you're looking for. Red twig dogwood (Cornus sericea) also does well in wet conditions, but is kind of in the large shrub/small tree category, so may or may not be what you're after.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 142
Niced 316 Times in 137 Posts

I love all this tree talk.

I planted a handful of small (1" or less trunk diameter, 2-3' in height) bald cypress last spring here in Northern Kentucky. They didn't do a whole lot last year but this year they've really filled out nicely and are starting to add some height. In the fall they do get a little bit of bronze-ish color before they drop their needles which is cool. 2 of the 5 or so I planted, I put in right on my pond's typical water-line where the base of the tree is submerged at least 1/2 the time. 1 of the 2 is doing awesome, the other isn't, but it was a bit rough going in to begin with.

I'm really itching to add a Dawn Redwood, some red maples (deer destroyed the one I planted 2 seasons ago), and more tulip poplars somewhere on my ridge top.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 PM
Par Member

Niced 50 Times in 25 Posts

Cottonwood types (Populas sp) are candy to beavers but they fill all the other boxes. Any size tree can be cut in winter and "planted" into a post hole where the bottom extends into moist soil. I've had good success with 2-4" trunks as they are easily handled. This is a common riparian restoration method.Cage them as high as you can to discourage beavers. Beaver control may be necessary if your area allows. USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service office will help. I can get you a contact if wanted. Ditto some state Depts of Natural Resources.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 308 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Maybe the solution is to be psychic and pick a drought year or two, in advance.
I've tried that and am hoping that the Paulownias will get the benefit of that for next year. But still, they probably won't make it.

One of the problems is that this particular property is now seeing longer and more frequent flooding that it has in the past and even young native species are dying due to complete submersion during the spring.

There are number of native varieties that would work but some are extremely slow growers. Persimmons do well, but put on about 1 foot or less per year (at least so far). Lacebark elm grows relatively fast and has some flood tolerance, but I would have to transplant these.

There just may be no way around trying to transplant larger trees to give some chance of surviving the flooding.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 1340
Niced 552 Times in 220 Posts

Buckthorn grows pretty fast..

Old 06-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 6
Niced 457 Times in 246 Posts

Black locust grow like weeds, and in my area, grow right in our swamps. I'm far from an arborist, but I would think they'd handle flooding too.