Old 07-05-2019, 01:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 656 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Cool, good to know. I've got a gift card to burn at the local shop, and plan to use it testing out potential replacements for my Ballista and Ballista Pros. I'm wanting something faster than Wraith class but not quite as wide-rimmed as the Ballista class. Raider and Shryke will get first crack if they feel good in the hand -- Raider seems like a potential Ballista Pro replacement and Shryke seems like a Ballista replacement. Although I'm planning to pick up both a Glow Champ Shryke and Star Shryke, so if the plastic variant is big enough than I might be able to replace both Ball/Ball Pro with just that one mold.
I find I can hammer on my Raider better than my Ballista Pro. The Ballista Pro is way faster, but it won't hold flat as long. It wants to fade sooner, and more harshly than the Raider. The Raider also glides better than the Ballista Pro. I'd choose the Ballista Pro over the Raider for headwinds. Any other condition, give me the Raider.

My Ballista Pro is stubborn. I can occasionally get a little turn on it, but most times not. If I want to max it out on distance I have to force it over high, hard, and anny.

If you're going to get a Shryke, I'd recommend a star. They fly great and would make a nice Ballista replacement. Obviously the Shryke's a speed slower than the Ballista, but it will go every bit as far with floatier glide.

BTW, I have one glow champion Shryke, and its my least favorite model. Very flat, with less glide than other Shrykes. Its that flippy disc that doesn't glide very well, and has a harsh late fade. In other words, I didn't like the glow champ Shryke very much. If you get a star Shryke, look for a domey one. Those things are f'ing incredible for glide and distance.

Personally, I prefer the Shryke to the Ballista. The Shryke glides a little better, and isn't as touchy. Make no mistake though, the Ballista is a very good mold. It's also on my top 10 list of longest molds.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Twmccoy; 07-05-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'd choose the Ballista Pro over the Raider for headwinds. Any other condition, give me the Raider.
I tend to only bag one distance mold to cover everything I need, even windy days. I agree with you on Fuzion Raiders not being the best for headwinds. But the Lucid and Hybrid Raiders hold up pretty well in the wind. Give them a little hyzer and they'll pop up to flat but still hyzer out in 10-15 mph headwinds.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 391 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
I find I can hammer on my Raider better than my Ballista Pro. The Ballista Pro is way faster, but it won't hold flat as long. It wants to fade sooner, and more harshly than the Raider. The Raider also glides better than the Ballista Pro. I'd choose the Ballista Pro over the Raider for headwinds. Any other condition, give me the Raider.

My Ballista Pro is stubborn. I can occasionally get a little turn on it, but most times not. If I want to max it out on distance I have to force it over high, hard, and anny.

If you're going to get a Shryke, I'd recommend a star. They fly great and would make a nice Ballista replacement. Obviously the Shryke's a speed slower than the Ballista, but it will go every bit as far with floatier glide.

BTW, I have one glow champion Shryke, and its my least favorite model. Very flat, with less glide than other Shrykes. Its that flippy disc that doesn't glide very well, and has a harsh late fade. In other words, I didn't like the glow champ Shryke very much. If you get a star Shryke, look for a domey one. Those things are f'ing incredible for glide and distance.

Personally, I prefer the Shryke to the Ballista. The Shryke glides a little better, and isn't as touchy. Make no mistake though, the Ballista is a very good mold. It's also on my top 10 list of longest molds.
Good info on Glow Champ Shrykes. I'll look for a really domey one, but if I can't find one then I will definitely look to other plastic types instead. I agree that flat, fast, and understable is typically a bad combination.

I always appreciate your input TWM. Even though you throw a lot further than me, you also throw at a higher elevation and I feel that, in general, we get similar flight shapes out of discs.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Good info on Glow Champ Shrykes. I'll look for a really domey one, but if I can't find one then I will definitely look to other plastic types instead. I agree that flat, fast, and understable is typically a bad combination.

I always appreciate your input TWM. Even though you throw a lot further than me, you also throw at a higher elevation and I feel that, in general, we get similar flight shapes out of discs.
Yeah, I try to give a disc quite a few throws in varying conditions before I come on here and voice opinions about it. Obviously I've only thrown the 1 Fuzion Raider. I'd be interested to try that mold in Lucid. My Fuzion Raider is rock solid. I have a good feel for that disc and I know what it'll do when I throw it. I don't quite get 450' out of it, but it'll pass 400' pretty easily.

Shrykes are pretty consistent discs. Very seldom do I see one that flies outside the norm. I've probably thrown 20 Shrykes in all plastics. I find that the flatter the Shryke, the less I like it. They flip up OK, but don't glide or penetrate that well.

I've thrown about a dozen Ballistas. Those things (for the most part) are great. A little flippier and touchier than a Shryke, but every bit as long. Great hyzerflip bomber disc. I've gone over 450' quite a few times with Ballistas.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 176 Times in 95 Posts

I've done some field testing and played first round today. 1 SE, AND 1 fuzion. Both fly the same, for now. Im seeing better glide and definite distance increase, especially on forehands. I'll spend the rest of the summer working these in for next year, and finally boot the outlaws out of the bag. I love the legacy plastic, but dynamic is pretty good too
Old 07-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 376 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:

Regardless of plastic, you want a domey one. The flat ones are flippy, the domey ones are the bombers. Just like Terns, domey is better, as I found the flat Terns to be stubbornly unglidey, whereas flat Shrykes like to flip and burn.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Regardless of plastic, you want a domey one. The flat ones are flippy, the domey ones are the bombers. Just like Terns, domey is better, as I found the flat Terns to be stubbornly unglidey, whereas flat Shrykes like to flip and burn.
I agree. I don't like ANY flat distance drivers, other than perhaps very overstable stuff. If I'm looking for max glide and distance, I want dome.

Flat Shrykes stink. My Raider isn't flat, but it isn't super domey either. It flies perfectly and glides great.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 48
Niced 784 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
I agree. I don't like ANY flat distance drivers, other than perhaps very overstable stuff. If I'm looking for max glide and distance, I want dome.
Yay! I found something I can agree with you on. lol
Old 07-12-2019, 03:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 26
Niced 391 Times in 237 Posts

I just tested out a Raider for the first time in 168g Fuzion. Color me impressed. I'm not sure how it flies so fast for such a comfortable disc, but it does. Obviously I'm still in the honeymoon stage but it performed well both in the field and on the course. I typically max around 360' and the Raider was performing right at my max distance threshold. I got one out to 372' and a bunch more in the 340'-360' range. For me it flies like a longer and faster Wraith.

The Raider is immediately going in the bag since I don't have any tourneys coming up soon. I typically bag both a pure distance (Ballista Pro) and control (Wraith) disc with this flight shape but the Raider was stealing both discs' jobs. I can grip it comfortably and release clean and consistent like I do with a Wraith, but chew up distance like I do with a Ballista Pro. Very promising disc.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I just tested out a Raider for the first time in 168g Fuzion. Color me impressed. I'm not sure how it flies so fast for such a comfortable disc, but it does. Obviously I'm still in the honeymoon stage but it performed well both in the field and on the course. I typically max around 360' and the Raider was performing right at my max distance threshold. I got one out to 372' and a bunch more in the 340'-360' range. For me it flies like a longer and faster Wraith.

The Raider is immediately going in the bag since I don't have any tourneys coming up soon. I typically bag both a pure distance (Ballista Pro) and control (Wraith) disc with this flight shape but the Raider was stealing both discs' jobs. I can grip it comfortably and release clean and consistent like I do with a Wraith, but chew up distance like I do with a Ballista Pro. Very promising disc.
My Raider is the same weight and plastic as yours. I love it. I agree it flies like a faster Wraith. What really sells me on the Raider is the fact that it isn't in any hurry to fade. It goes straight for a long time. I've gotten mine out to 430'ish. It isn't quite my longest driver, but it isn't far behind.

The Raider for me doesn't seem lightning fast, but it gets top tier distance. I'm impressed.