Old 06-16-2019, 10:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 423 Times in 269 Posts

I never clicked with the flat tops. Had a perfect beat DX roc but lost it. I have a couple backups that just aren’t quite there, probably just haven’t built confidence in them yet. I’ll throw a flat top in the mix for my next yard session. And see if anything has changed
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 517 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
I never clicked with the flat tops. Had a perfect beat DX roc but lost it. I have a couple backups that just aren’t quite there, probably just haven’t built confidence in them yet. I’ll throw a flat top in the mix for my next yard session. And see if anything has changed
I bagged a DX and a Flat Top DX yesterday. IMO they have a different feel in the hand. For me, I prefer the sleeker feel of the FT. The FT has less glide than a regular Roc and I prefer it when elevation comes into play. I can control the finish better with the FT. The regular DX gets 'easier' distance than the FT because of it's glide. I like the way they compliment each other.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.4
Courses Played: 95
Niced 736 Times in 284 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I removed my Star Roc3 and replaced it with a Rancho Star/Special Blend USDGC Roc. Gonna try that for a while to see how it works compared to my Roc3.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 18 Times in 18 Posts

I've finally found a putter I click with, both putting and throwing--JK Aviars. How this relates to Rocs: I'm curious if the Roc feels and flies like a longer beaded Aviar. I noticed most folks that bag beaded Aviars also bag KC and/or DX Rocs, which is encouraging. I'm currently bagging Buzzz's in a couple different plastics along with a Drone to cover all the midrange shots. I like the idea of cycling a single mold, especially if they feel, fly, and age like beaded Aviars. I apologize if this has either been covered or a rudimentary question.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 171
Niced 651 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseetailor View Post
I've finally found a putter I click with, both putting and throwing--JK Aviars. How this relates to Rocs: I'm curious if the Roc feels and flies like a longer beaded Aviar. I noticed most folks that bag beaded Aviars also bag KC and/or DX Rocs, which is encouraging. I'm currently bagging Buzzz's in a couple different plastics along with a Drone to cover all the midrange shots. I like the idea of cycling a single mold, especially if they feel, fly, and age like beaded Aviars. I apologize if this has either been covered or a rudimentary question.
The Roc flies like a longer BB aviar for sure. Ive been throwing the two for years now because they both start out as slightly overstable and they both beat in nicely. I also like the feel of the bead so a roc and a BB aviar are a good combo. The only issue I have with anything is that the bb aviar will flutter and turn more then I would like at low speeds. Its great at high speeds but slowing it down is slightly unpredictable.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
The Roc flies like a longer BB aviar for sure. Ive been throwing the two for years now because they both start out as slightly overstable and they both beat in nicely. I also like the feel of the bead so a roc and a BB aviar are a good combo. The only issue I have with anything is that the bb aviar will flutter and turn more then I would like at low speeds. Its great at high speeds but slowing it down is slightly unpredictable.
This is what I was hoping to hear; thanks for the info! I'll have to gives Rocs a go. The only bummer is the amount of money I have wrapped up in Buzzz's..

I have noticed that with BB Aviars. It's strange, but it makes me extra conscious of the angles I'm releasing my shorter upshots on.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:46 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,102 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
I mean Avair/Roc is just a classic combination. It's actually hard to stop and think about it. It's more of a "they go together like peas and carrots" thing. I can't think of a bad thing to say about pairing them.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean Avair/Roc is just a classic combination. It's actually hard to stop and think about it. It's more of a "they go together like peas and carrots" thing. I can't think of a bad thing to say about pairing them.
It's a paring that I've always heard about but for the longest time beaded putters never clicked with me so I never gave either a shot. Over the last few months I've played a lot of putter-only rounds and I've grown to really enjoy JK Aviars. As a result my Buzzz's just don't give me the same confidence they used to since they're missing the bead.

I'm assuming the best starting point would just be some good ol' DX Rocs? Maybe a fresh KC for hyzer midrange shots once a DX starts to show some wear?
Old 07-05-2019, 02:06 PM
*Super Moderator*

Yeah, starting with DX and adding in KC's after you have some DX's beat in is a good plan.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
As a result my Buzzz's just don't give me the same confidence they used to since they're missing the bead.
The Buzz/Roc thing is a little weird for me. They more or less overlap, but I throw them very differently. The Buzzz is more of a "throw it low and hard like a driver" disc and the Roc I can throw more like a putter. I can range a Roc better than a Buzzz and I can throw a Roc a lot farther than a Buzzz because it fits my throw better than the Buzzz. That's just me, though. Other people get the opposite effect and have better success with the Bizzz. I think it just sorta depends.