Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 391 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
My Raider is the same weight and plastic as yours. I love it. I agree it flies like a faster Wraith. What really sells me on the Raider is the fact that it isn't in any hurry to fade. It goes straight for a long time. I've gotten mine out to 430'ish. It isn't quite my longest driver, but it isn't far behind.

The Raider for me doesn't seem lightning fast, but it gets top tier distance. I'm impressed.
Agreed on all accounts (well, other than distance achieved). Raider seems to be exactly what I was hoping for.
I picked up a Shryke too but haven't clicked with it as quickly. Still sorting out what direction it's going to end up. But as for pure distance it's a crusher. My first measured Shryke throw was over 380', which for me is a great toss.
The Raider and Shryke seem different enough to potentially warrant bagging both. Stability wise the Shryke seems to fall about halfway between the Raider and the Ballista. I'll likely end up bagging the Raider plus one of the two between Ballista and Shryke.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2019, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 658 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Agreed on all accounts (well, other than distance achieved). Raider seems to be exactly what I was hoping for.
I picked up a Shryke too but haven't clicked with it as quickly. Still sorting out what direction it's going to end up. But as for pure distance it's a crusher. My first measured Shryke throw was over 380', which for me is a great toss.
The Raider and Shryke seem different enough to potentially warrant bagging both. Stability wise the Shryke seems to fall about halfway between the Raider and the Ballista. I'll likely end up bagging the Raider plus one of the two between Ballista and Shryke.
I definitely get more turn, glide, and overall distance with a Shryke than a Raider. I use the Shryke for open field hyzerflip bombs. It does well in calm or downwind conditions, but is poor in any sort of headwind. The Raider isn't really a headwind disc either, but it is still a lot more resistant to flipping than a Shryke.

On a good day I can go just a tad north of 450' with Shrykes.

I'm a Ballista fan as well, but I'd bag a Shryke over a Ballista.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 17 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I definitely get more turn, glide, and overall distance with a Shryke than a Raider. I use the Shryke for open field hyzerflip bombs. It does well in calm or downwind conditions, but is poor in any sort of headwind. The Raider isn't really a headwind disc either, but it is still a lot more resistant to flipping than a Shryke.

On a good day I can go just a tad north of 450' with Shrykes.

I'm a Ballista fan as well, but I'd bag a Shryke over a Ballista.
I feel like some folks overstate the amount of turn the Raiders get unless you throw with power AND anhy. Yes, Raiders will hold turn for most of their flight if you throw with both, but starting a Raider flat or with hyzer will get you a straight shot with a good finish or a sweeping, penetrating hyzer. They are clearly competing for Destroyer spots in folks bags and I think DD nailed it. Shrykes, B-Pros, Sheriffs, and other max-D discs off the shelf can coexist with Raiders until you've beaten one in to the point where it'll hyzer flip or hold the turn when thrown flat.

I threw my hybrid/lucid Raiders into wind recently and they really aren't as good at fighting the wind as I had hoped. It does resist turning in a light amount of wind but 10+ mph winds tend to start turning them more than I'd like. Anything over 10mph may require an Enforcer or similar type disc.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 658 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseetailor View Post
I feel like some folks overstate the amount of turn the Raiders get unless you throw with power AND anhy. Yes, Raiders will hold turn for most of their flight if you throw with both, but starting a Raider flat or with hyzer will get you a straight shot with a good finish or a sweeping, penetrating hyzer. They are clearly competing for Destroyer spots in folks bags and I think DD nailed it. Shrykes, B-Pros, Sheriffs, and other max-D discs off the shelf can coexist with Raiders until you've beaten one in to the point where it'll hyzer flip or hold the turn when thrown flat.

I threw my hybrid/lucid Raiders into wind recently and they really aren't as good at fighting the wind as I had hoped. It does resist turning in a light amount of wind but 10+ mph winds tend to start turning them more than I'd like. Anything over 10mph may require an Enforcer or similar type disc.
I definitely get more distance with a Raider vs. a star Destroyer. The Destroyer is a tad beefier, and will fade sooner and harder. My Raider doesn't turn a lot, but it holds flat for a very long time before fading. My Raider isn't a hyzerflip disc. If I want big distance out of it I have to throw it flat or even slightly anny.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Par Member

Niced 33 Times in 32 Posts

Has anyone found a Raider that flies like the SE plastic ones? I have a flat top fusion that is lightly seasoned, and its flying fairly similar, just not quite as Understable. Obviously the Lucid, Hybrid, MS, etc. are all going to be much beefier than the SE would be
Old 07-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerswimmer89 View Post
Has anyone found a Raider that flies like the SE plastic ones? I have a flat top fusion that is lightly seasoned, and its flying fairly similar, just not quite as Understable. Obviously the Lucid, Hybrid, MS, etc. are all going to be much beefier than the SE would be
I haven't. I imagine a seasoned Fuzion would be your best bet. I love my SE Raiders so I made sure to grab a handful so I'm set until my Lucids get worked in and/or I end up losing one.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 391 Times in 237 Posts

Is the SE blend the same as the SE they made for the Getaway last year? If so, then it falls between Fuzion and Biofuzion. SE Getaways also molded up with a little less dome than most Fuzion and Bio Getaways that I've thrown.

Of course, this doesn't help you much since there are no Biofuzion Raiders yet. Just keep throwing your Fuzion at trees. If you're really impatient, give it a little bit of a swirl on a concrete teepad.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Par Member

as soon as a biofuzion becomes available, i'll be all over it! Until then, I plan to continue seasoning the fusion ones that I have now for sure.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerswimmer89 View Post
as soon as a biofuzion becomes available, i'll be all over it! Until then, I plan to continue seasoning the fusion ones that I have now for sure.
I think Danny posted a video about what's in his bag and he mentioned Bio Raiders being surprising stable. I doubt their Lucid stable, but they may be closer to new Fuzion stable than SE.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-29-2019, 10:39 AM
Par Member

That's alright by me, as long as their workable and we know BioFuzion will season itself fair quickly with a decent amount of play