Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Rules Questions & Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 280 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
well right up to the mini, I said that wrong touching the mini with foot

I get that right up to the mini. Now this is not on top of mini but right up to just barely touching the edge of mini is what I meant. That old rule book from 2006 or the 2004 rules specified something like that to edge of mini on the back side within 15 cm. I think that 15 cm was the rule being the largest mini size allowed? Not sure on that part. It was when the 6 meter Rule was Mandatory for a bit in the 2000's before the PDGA quickly changed that rule back.
https://www.pdga.com/rules/history
2006: Supporting point on a line 30cm behind the mini on the LOP (803.04)
2002: Supporting point on a line 30cm behind the mini on the LOP (803.03)
1997: Supporting point on a line 30cm behind the mini on the LOP (803.03)
1990: Supporting point on a line 30cm behind the mini on the LOP (803.03), must always use a mini marker (803.02)
1986: Supporting point on an area behind the marker disc with 15cm on either side of the center (3.2), must always use a marker disc, preferably a mini, which cannot be used in play (3.1)
1982: Plant foot placed on the area that was covered by the disc in play (6.2), must always use a marker disc, preferably a mini, which cannot be used in play (5.0)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 129
Niced 506 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
If you can use another normal disc, it would be difficult for other players to know if you have already marked your disc or not, so If you do it again, and again, you could potentially move your lie. Even by mistake
This is also the reason we're not allowed to flip a disc to mark a lie.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 65 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
I use 1 disc I love a lot. I hate when I have to pick it up and have the mini closer to the tree....less room.
Bring two of your favorite disc.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 297
Niced 1,987 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
Bring two of your favorite disc.
I'm lucky to have one Quiver.
Seriously doubt I'll be able to find another.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 209
Niced 240 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
That's a fair point. Thank you for your well-thought out explanation. I am NOT a by-the-rules guy, so a rule like this is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Yes, it is fair and equitable but what difference does it make, really?
I hear that question a lot. And not just from you. It's a judgment thing, and to me, that is why there are rules. It may or may not, probably not, make a difference in this case. However, all cases are not the same. They are many examples I can cite where those few centimeters make a HUGE difference in a player's ability to make a throw.

Some people, probably you, are OK with "I only call the rules that make a difference or I only want to enforce the rule that makes a difference" before the player throws. Your prerogative. But my problem would be if someone had a lie, totally unencumbered and no one enforced them having to mark or throw from the right spot, but then later in the round when I'm up against an obstacle I can't get a around at 6'5 UNLESS I get to move my more by about 20 cm wherein I can at least get back to the fairway and possibly save the par. But the card says I can't do that when noone made a big deal when the other player did the EXACT SAME THING. That's what the "by the rules guys" are thinking about -- the inherent inconsistency of "I don't call some violations by the rules, but I do call others."
Old 07-31-2019, 02:02 PM
Par Member

Niced 115 Times in 56 Posts

Without rules, you’re just throwing frisbees at trees.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-31-2019, 08:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 80 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
I hear that question a lot. And not just from you. It's a judgment thing, and to me, that is why there are rules. It may or may not, probably not, make a difference in this case. However, all cases are not the same. They are many examples I can cite where those few centimeters make a HUGE difference in a player's ability to make a throw.

Some people, probably you, are OK with "I only call the rules that make a difference or I only want to enforce the rule that makes a difference" before the player throws. Your prerogative. But my problem would be if someone had a lie, totally unencumbered and no one enforced them having to mark or throw from the right spot, but then later in the round when I'm up against an obstacle I can't get a around at 6'5 UNLESS I get to move my more by about 20 cm wherein I can at least get back to the fairway and possibly save the par. But the card says I can't do that when noone made a big deal when the other player did the EXACT SAME THING. That's what the "by the rules guys" are thinking about -- the inherent inconsistency of "I don't call some violations by the rules, but I do call others."
You're bringing in inconsistency, which I NEVER mentioned.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 209
Niced 240 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
You're bringing in inconsistency, which I NEVER mentioned.
True. That's exactly my point. Your reasoning ignores inconsistency. Rightly or wrongly, I feel if we are self-officiating, we MUST be consistent.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 80 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
True. That's exactly my point. Your reasoning ignores inconsistency. Rightly or wrongly, I feel if we are self-officiating, we MUST be consistent.
I did not "ignore" inconsistency at all. My line of thinking was simply to use a disc versus a mini to mark your lie. If the area behind your lie is the same regardless of size of your marker, there would be no inconsistency.

BTW, I never said I wouldn't do this in a tournament situation. My thought is that it was a bit frivolous.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 88
Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Why not? The rules specify your footing area, right? If this is so, why must only a mini be used? It seems really weird to me.
Because requiring minis forces players to buy something additional, and the rules committee has often been packed with disc golf equipment manufacturers or people sponsored by those manufacturers.

Niced: (2)