Old 02-14-2017, 01:30 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default Improving Form 2017-18

Hey guys,

Been quite some time since I've been on here. Haven't been out throwing much because it's been very cold, rainy, and snowy for the past few months. But, the weather seems to be clearing up lately and it's starting to approach mid-50s and 60s again so I should be able to get back out and throw some discs.

I was able to get out and throw earlier today and recorded myself and, needless to say, I was very rusty and some of the bad habits I have (SW and others should know what they are lol) came back. Biggest thing I noticed was that I was tipping my spine back and forth. I was in Karate class and had a realization; tipping your spine "feels" powerful and it "feels" like good but it didn't click for me until I was going through a kata and throwing punches.

Tipping your spine back and forth in a throw is like tipping your spine forward and back while throwing a punch - except, it doesn't feel powerful at all and at that moment I became very conscious of throwing while keeping my spine from tipping. The second I was able to focus on that my throws became amazing and I cleared some huge distance today.

I'm gonna try and get myself back into the swing of things and get my body used to throwing again. I'll try and get a video up within a few days and I look forward to continuing to improve my game this 2017. Should be fun!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 157 Times in 118 Posts

It's so easy to fall into the trap of throwing your spine toward the target when throwing when really it should be more or less staying pretty still (though its weight goes from rear leg to front leg). It's crazy how it adds both power and accuracy to your throw when it happens correctly! I just had a similar realization and it's just instant distance!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

Here's the first video of 2017.

I'm thinking door-frame drill because I'm pulling the disc too high still. What else do you guys see?

P.S. Is this angle better than my previous videos?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 157 Times in 118 Posts

You're still leaning forward in the throw and not really bracing. Pause the video when the disc is at your chest. Your weight is basically way past your plant foot because the spine is tilted forward.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 3
Niced 69 Times in 45 Posts

Looks like you're throwing from the head, and if you could include a video from directly behind you at ground level that would be great as I'm curious about your x-step and how it looks from that angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 5.20.00 PM.jpg (20.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Eagle Member

Last throw looks best for posture btw. I do see some improvements from last time your received a critic.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 313 Times in 203 Posts

Take a look at Kona's form for reference and try shooting a video from the same angle for comparison.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQeYGcxj8Tx/
Old 02-15-2017, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,584 Times in 1,610 Posts

Yeah you are turning open before you plant and tip over from the top instead of shifting from the ground up. Your rear foot should be pushing your hips/CoG/weight forward not pushing the head/shoulders over.

Turn inside your posture:

Shift from behind you:

Alignment and keeping shoulders behind hips:
Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have been struggling to correct this same sort of thing too. The idea is to be completely off of your back foot by the time your toe of your plant foot is hitting the ground. I have been improving this by of spending all the time on the rear leg as "turning the weight to the front finishing on the toe by the time I plant."

This has added at least 40' of consistent power for me in the last week or two. The rear leg is also big in making sure you throw on a line. The weight from the rear leg has to be turned forward by the time the plant ever happens. Then the plant foot catches and everything unloads. And when it unloads properly it feels like you never used hardly any muscle at all.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Eagle Member

I also rotate too early. I've been working this issue out by throwing 50 foot controll upshots.

I throw from a standstill with no reachback, little or no stride forward. My disc is always infront of my chest at shoulder height with my elbow at the same height (shoulder height)

I practice a specific rythm; weightshift, plant, rotate, swing.
Between steps 1 and 2 be sure to keep your right side targetward.

If you do something like weightshift, rotate, plant, swing, your throws will become incredibally inaccurate often releasing early, late, and nose up.