Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to AdamCaudle
Default Distance finally coming around.

So recently my average D has been increasing rather rapidly. I had hit a plateau around 280 ft for a while, but I've been working on certain things to improve my throw. I've started using my hips/torso more to swing my arms around, and I'm getting a lot better about nose angle and I'm getting much more snap. I'm now averaging a little over 300 feet on my distance shots and it's awesome. The only thing is I'll sometimes forget to do something, as I have trouble implementing all these things I'm learning. What's really helped is to stop throwing distance drivers completely and just throwing my teebird/stalker/leopard combo for distance shots. One big thing I am still not doing regularly is pulling close to the chest, so with that added I'm hoping to get more D. I've also gotten a lot better about release timing and angle. Now that I think about it I have no idea why I am posting this thread. Hopefully someone will get some tips out of this, but if not, I just want to share my success. And it's mostly due to the stuff I've learned on here. So.. Thank you DGCR community!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary

wearing shoes would help you get at least another 30'.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecary View Post
wearing shoes would help you get at least another 30'.
Haha like I said in my picture comment, I always wear shoes now. Hahaha. Although playing in rainbows really didn't change my game at all. Except putting, so annoying when they slip-slide around and your trying to get in the groove and focus on a 30 footer.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes gains come quick and fast othertimes slowly. Tons of advice on this site to help with nearly any aspect of the game. I have had some success as well learning from this site and am currently in the rebuilding phase of my drives which is my weak point. Keep in mind how others have helped you and offer support and advice to the other new users on this site. More and more join each day!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

^^ didn't mean that trade symbol there.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 66
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary

the best thing you can do is play with people who are better than you so you can soak up their good form and find a style that fits you.

just make sure to verify all of their advice here before you heed it.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Haha yup. The guy who got me into it and is usually my partner throws like 375-400 usually. So I've learned a lot from him too. But usually my approach game is slightly better than his, so I've beat him a few times on shorter coures. But he's way better than me overall. He's one of those guys that throws Rocs for anything 325 and in.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 251
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Somethings can never be said enough....BEATO video.

Good job bro, I hope it continues for you.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
Somethings can never be said enough....BEATO video.

Good job bro, I hope it continues for you.
The Beato video is a great start. He does a good job on the basics, but really never goes indepth on the concept of snap. But then again, no videos that I had seen previously describe how to generate it; they more-or-less just say "grip tight at the end of the elbow extension, and snap the disc out." I was always asking, "but how do I exactly 'snap' the disc?"

There are a couple videos on youtube by Bradley Walker (a mod on DGR) that completely changed my distance and also the consistency of the drives. Before watching the videos, I could get out to 350' or so with a destroyer by really, REALLY putting some muscle into it. Also, I could never get snap on any throws, unless you count the occasional grip-lock that ends in snap but also a horribly misdirected drive.

I was getting extremely frustrated with distance, so after some searching I found these videos:

More Snap #1

and

More Snap #2

In addition, this video visualizes what he is explaining, except in slow motion. I found this video to be extremely helpful:

Video of Snap in Motion

After watching these videos a couple times, I went out and tested the technique I learned. My drives with my teebirds immediately increased, and by the end of the session, I was cranking them out to ~400'. I couldn't believe it. Then the rocs came out....~300'. And the great thing is, I was able to hear an audible snap with every toss, even with the rocs.

Lately, I have been implementing this technique in my stand still game, as I find that I am much more accurate in the woods if I keep my feet planted with no x-step or movement. With the aforementioned grip and drive changes, I can drive my teebirds out to 300' only using my hips, pull through, and snap, with zero foot movement.

Hopefully these videos will help someone like they greatly helped me. You may not like these videos, but if they can benefit one person, I'll be happy.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmed10 View Post
The Beato video is a great start. He does a good job on the basics, but really never goes indepth on the concept of snap. But then again, no videos that I had seen previously describe how to generate it; they more-or-less just say "grip tight at the end of the elbow extension, and snap the disc out." I was always asking, "but how do I exactly 'snap' the disc?"

There are a couple videos on youtube by Bradley Walker (a mod on DGR) that completely changed my distance and also the consistency of the drives. Before watching the videos, I could get out to 350' or so with a destroyer by really, REALLY putting some muscle into it. Also, I could never get snap on any throws, unless you count the occasional grip-lock that ends in snap but also a horribly misdirected drive.

I was getting extremely frustrated with distance, so after some searching I found these videos:

More Snap #1

and

More Snap #2

In addition, this video visualizes what he is explaining, except in slow motion. I found this video to be extremely helpful:

Video of Snap in Motion

After watching these videos a couple times, I went out and tested the technique I learned. My drives with my teebirds immediately increased, and by the end of the session, I was cranking them out to ~400'. I couldn't believe it. Then the rocs came out....~300'. And the great thing is, I was able to hear an audible snap with every toss, even with the rocs.

Lately, I have been implementing this technique in my stand still game, as I find that I am much more accurate in the woods if I keep my feet planted with no x-step or movement. With the aforementioned grip and drive changes, I can drive my teebirds out to 300' only using my hips, pull through, and snap, with zero foot movement.

Hopefully these videos will help someone like they greatly helped me. You may not like these videos, but if they can benefit one person, I'll be happy.
Thanks for linking me those videos! Hopefully I'll be able to practice some more technique stuff soon after it rain/snows some more. I wish spring would get here.