Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,358 Times in 592 Posts
Default Casual or OB?

So we have this water hazard that varies in depth and witdh greatly depending on the time of year since it is quite shallow. I am pretty sure the property line for the neighbors goes right through the middle of it. I would like to refer to the water as casual since because of leaf littler and the way the ground surrounding the water is saturated thus making it difficult to decide if it a disc near the edge is in the water or not. I know the way to solve that is to paint a line around the water which is fine for a tourney but for a weekly league would be a royal PITA. So if a disc goes decidedly in the water the typical call is to play it in the line of play on the other side of the water to get relief. Obviously, that would mean tresspassing. What is the right call here? Leave it casual and make a drop zone? Or just (cringe) make the water OB?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled drawing (3).jpg (21.4 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2019, 07:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

806.04 Relief Area

A relief area is an area designated by the Director from which a disc may not be played, or any in-bounds area that players are prohibited by law from entering. A relief area is played as an out-of-bounds area with the exception that no penalty throw is assessed to a player whose disc comes to rest in a relief area.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-26-2019, 08:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,255 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
806.04 Relief Area

A relief area is an area designated by the Director from which a disc may not be played, or any in-bounds area that players are prohibited by law from entering. A relief area is played as an out-of-bounds area with the exception that no penalty throw is assessed to a player whose disc comes to rest in a relief area.
This is a good solution, especially if a drop zone is implemented with it. The only problem is that if faces the same flaw that has Dave reluctant to make it OB...the defining line is blurry. I suppose for a weekly league, you could simply say that if it is wet enough that the player doesn't want to take a stance at the disc's position, he has the option of moving to the drop zone with no penalty.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,966 Times in 2,108 Posts

Use stakes to make a permanent line that isn't effected by high/low water.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-26-2019, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
This is a good solution, especially if a drop zone is implemented with it. The only problem is that if faces the same flaw that has Dave reluctant to make it OB...the defining line is blurry. I suppose for a weekly league, you could simply say that if it is wet enough that the player doesn't want to take a stance at the disc's position, he has the option of moving to the drop zone with no penalty.
It's a fairly minor problem---the decision as to where the demarcation is only affects the resulting lie by a couple of feet. The important thing is that the debate over where the line is doesn't cost anyone a full stroke penalty.

Though admittedly a fixed drop zone, far enough back that no one would take advantage of it, would be better.

(I like this rule option the PDGA now offers. We used it at a non-sanctioned event, before the PDGA introduced it, when a bulldozer left a huge debris pile running for 250' along the right side of a fairway. We didn't want anyone to play in it---it was just temporary---and casual relief wouldn't work; and CR with a drop zone wasn't a solution, either, since the hazard was so large that no spot would be right.)

Old 04-26-2019, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,617 Times in 717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

(I like this rule option the PDGA now offers. We used it at a non-sanctioned event, before the PDGA introduced it, when a bulldozer left a huge debris pile running for 250' along the right side of a fairway. We didn't want anyone to play in it---it was just temporary---and casual relief wouldn't work; and CR with a drop zone wasn't a solution, either, since the hazard was so large that no spot would be right.)
Yep- I have used it for years at HH.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 210
Niced 244 Times in 151 Posts

To me this is a simple one -- for casual and tourneys.

Make all inbounds throws that land in that water go to a free relief zone. Create a FRZ (marked just like a drop zone, but without penalty) at a fair location behind where the water is at is highest, and leave it there.

That's what I'd do. Have some type of permanent way to mark it also, like a railroad tie or similar . Then give every shot either option -- play it where it lies or FRZ.

Last edited by araytx; 04-26-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:57 AM
* Ace Member *

So I could just say that the drop zone is 3' away from the standing water from where the disc went in so long as it isn't any closer to the basket? Or does a drop zone have to be permanently marked?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,255 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
So I could just say that the drop zone is 3' away from the standing water from where the disc went in so long as it isn't any closer to the basket? Or does a drop zone have to be permanently marked?
What you're suggesting (a meter from where it went into the water) is within the rules of a Relief Area (806.04), but it is not technically a drop zone. Drop zones by definition are permanently marked in a specific location.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
What you're suggesting (a meter from where it went into the water) is within the rules of a Relief Area (806.04), but it is not technically a drop zone. Drop zones by definition are permanently marked in a specific location.
Thank you. That's helpful.

Sometimes I struggle a bit interpreting the rules. Yet another reason I love DGCR.