#1  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM
chevis's Avatar
chevis chevis is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: the dry shttys
Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,514
Niced 303 Times in 147 Posts
Default OB relief

after my round last night i got to thinking about a lie i had during the round that was close to ob. there is a road and the white line is ob; about a foot from the road is a slope down. i had landed on that down-slope about a foot and half from the ob line. it made for a hard line w/no runnup. if i had thought of it, i could have applied the following rule and had an easier lie by moving it closer to ob.
806.02 Out-of-Bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.
If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds and within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be relocated to a new lie at any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the center of the thrown disc.
i still parked my upshot, cuz i got skills; which skill should i have applied: using rules or standstill throw...
does anyone think the rule shouldn't allow moving closer to ob?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM
cydisc's Avatar
cydisc cydisc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ames, IA
Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 223
Posts: 987
Niced 23 Times in 9 Posts
Default

You can take as much or as little of the 1m relief as you wish. The point of the rule is so that you are able to take a stance in bounds. As long as your stance is in bounds at the time of release, you're OK.

But, to answer your question, the rule is fine as-is.

Last edited by cydisc; 05-01-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Actually answering the question
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 14,924
Niced 3,034 Times in 1,364 Posts
Default

I think it's an oddity in the rule that very rarely comes into play. Since the relief from OB is presumably to allow for a stance, it would make just as much sense for the rule to say that a disc can be moved away from OB, up to 1 meter, and that would prevent those odd rare situations where someone moves it closer to OB. It's not actually relief, just a chance to move a lie for an advantage.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Meillo's Avatar
Meillo Meillo is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ulm, Germany
Years Playing: 2.7
Posts: 406
Niced 172 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Nearer to the OB can open the angle around a tree or give you better footing. Definitely an advantage to have, although surely seldom used.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2019, 05:18 PM
roadtripstuff's Avatar
roadtripstuff roadtripstuff is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,553
Niced 169 Times in 88 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff
Default

You could have, but you also have to remember that you have to be completely inbounds when you release your disc and that the line itself is OB, so if you are touching the OB line when you throw part of your supporting point is OB which is illegal.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 209
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,142
Niced 238 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I think it's an oddity in the rule that very rarely comes into play. Since the relief from OB is presumably to allow for a stance, it would make just as much sense for the rule to say that a disc can be moved away from OB, up to 1 meter, and that would prevent those odd rare situations where someone moves it closer to OB. It's not actually relief, just a chance to move a lie for an advantage.
It is an oddity, but I think it comes into play when there are trees or other obstacles close to an OB line that's parallel to the fairway. I've used it on a course (Or gone OB and not taken the full meter) in order to avoid that tree and have a full run up & follow-through.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2019, 06:40 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 14,924
Niced 3,034 Times in 1,364 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
It is an oddity, but I think it comes into play when there are trees or other obstacles close to an OB line that's parallel to the fairway. I've used it on a course (Or gone OB and not taken the full meter) in order to avoid that tree and have a full run up & follow-through.
I guess the question is whether you should be allowed to take relief, back towards OB. it's certainly allowed in the rules, and you should use that if it benefits you, but should the rule be worded differently, to take away that option?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
Flippy Flopper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 132
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,992
Niced 914 Times in 405 Posts
Default

The point of this rule is to allow for a stance since you can't have a supporting point OB at release. This rule allows you take a normal stance without breaking the the other rule.

You absolutely do not have to take a full meter or any relief at all, it's completely your option. But the rule exists due to the above mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 45.2
Courses Played: 340
Posts: 4,832
Niced 1,574 Times in 774 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
The point of this rule is to allow for a stance since you can't have a supporting point OB at release. This rule allows you take a normal stance without breaking the the other rule.

You absolutely do not have to take a full meter or any relief at all, it's completely your option. But the rule exists due to the above mentioned.
So, allowing the IB player to move the lie toward OB would not need to be part of the rule?

(It is OK under the current rules.)
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:25 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
Flippy Flopper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 132
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,992
Niced 914 Times in 405 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
So, allowing the IB player to move the lie toward OB would not need to be part of the rule?

(It is OK under the current rules.)
It's an unintended consequence of the rule, but is legal as you mentioned.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OB or casual relief? Shivjon Rules Questions & Discussion 10 06-26-2016 09:04 PM
Relief from OB line Kaikias Rules Questions & Discussion 9 04-23-2012 10:15 AM
have you ever taken Optional Relief? Brall Rules Questions & Discussion 27 12-27-2011 09:45 AM
A different kind of relief Smigles Rules Questions & Discussion 48 08-11-2011 11:42 PM
Free relief or not? Donovan General Disc Golf Chat 52 05-03-2010 07:48 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.