Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 303 Times in 147 Posts
Default OB relief

after my round last night i got to thinking about a lie i had during the round that was close to ob. there is a road and the white line is ob; about a foot from the road is a slope down. i had landed on that down-slope about a foot and half from the ob line. it made for a hard line w/no runnup. if i had thought of it, i could have applied the following rule and had an easier lie by moving it closer to ob.
806.02 Out-of-Bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.
If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds and within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be relocated to a new lie at any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the center of the thrown disc.
i still parked my upshot, cuz i got skills; which skill should i have applied: using rules or standstill throw...
does anyone think the rule shouldn't allow moving closer to ob?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 223
Niced 23 Times in 9 Posts

You can take as much or as little of the 1m relief as you wish. The point of the rule is so that you are able to take a stance in bounds. As long as your stance is in bounds at the time of release, you're OK.

But, to answer your question, the rule is fine as-is.

Last edited by cydisc; 05-01-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Actually answering the question
Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,034 Times in 1,364 Posts

I think it's an oddity in the rule that very rarely comes into play. Since the relief from OB is presumably to allow for a stance, it would make just as much sense for the rule to say that a disc can be moved away from OB, up to 1 meter, and that would prevent those odd rare situations where someone moves it closer to OB. It's not actually relief, just a chance to move a lie for an advantage.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Niced 172 Times in 118 Posts

Nearer to the OB can open the angle around a tree or give you better footing. Definitely an advantage to have, although surely seldom used.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 169 Times in 88 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

You could have, but you also have to remember that you have to be completely inbounds when you release your disc and that the line itself is OB, so if you are touching the OB line when you throw part of your supporting point is OB which is illegal.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 209
Niced 238 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I think it's an oddity in the rule that very rarely comes into play. Since the relief from OB is presumably to allow for a stance, it would make just as much sense for the rule to say that a disc can be moved away from OB, up to 1 meter, and that would prevent those odd rare situations where someone moves it closer to OB. It's not actually relief, just a chance to move a lie for an advantage.
It is an oddity, but I think it comes into play when there are trees or other obstacles close to an OB line that's parallel to the fairway. I've used it on a course (Or gone OB and not taken the full meter) in order to avoid that tree and have a full run up & follow-through.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,034 Times in 1,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
It is an oddity, but I think it comes into play when there are trees or other obstacles close to an OB line that's parallel to the fairway. I've used it on a course (Or gone OB and not taken the full meter) in order to avoid that tree and have a full run up & follow-through.
I guess the question is whether you should be allowed to take relief, back towards OB. it's certainly allowed in the rules, and you should use that if it benefits you, but should the rule be worded differently, to take away that option?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 132
Niced 914 Times in 405 Posts

The point of this rule is to allow for a stance since you can't have a supporting point OB at release. This rule allows you take a normal stance without breaking the the other rule.

You absolutely do not have to take a full meter or any relief at all, it's completely your option. But the rule exists due to the above mentioned.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.2
Courses Played: 340
Niced 1,574 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
The point of this rule is to allow for a stance since you can't have a supporting point OB at release. This rule allows you take a normal stance without breaking the the other rule.

You absolutely do not have to take a full meter or any relief at all, it's completely your option. But the rule exists due to the above mentioned.
So, allowing the IB player to move the lie toward OB would not need to be part of the rule?

(It is OK under the current rules.)

Old 05-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 132
Niced 914 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
So, allowing the IB player to move the lie toward OB would not need to be part of the rule?

(It is OK under the current rules.)
It's an unintended consequence of the rule, but is legal as you mentioned.