Old 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 38 Times in 24 Posts

I play for competition only. Whether it be competing against others, myself or just against the course. It doesn't have to be for money. It is simply meeting a challenge, achieving goals and such. Without that impetus I doubt I would improve much at all over time. I also try to enjoy every round and the camaraderie involved regardless if I beat the course, opponents or not. I am also not afraid of losing to anyone else but always enjoy the challenge. I don't get anyone who plays a sport where a score is kept, but they don't like to compete. I scream BS.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 61
Niced 116 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Explain the right function of trolling in recreation. It seems clear that trolling serves different purposes, for example biological trolling existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competitive trolling as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of trolling as a form of leisure. Is trolling a diseased extension of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is trolling a useful cultural process?
I think he meant to post this.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 37 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I play for competition only. Whether it be competing against others, myself or just against the course. It doesn't have to be for money. It is simply meeting a challenge, achieving goals and such. Without that impetus I doubt I would improve much at all over time. I also try to enjoy every round and the camaraderie involved regardless if I beat the course, opponents or not. I am also not afraid of losing to anyone else but always enjoy the challenge. I don't get anyone who plays a sport where a score is kept, but they don't like to compete. I scream BS.
Wil Wheaton does a YouTube channel about board games. In it, he says that he tells his kids not to be upset if they lose - the fun should come from Playing, not from Winning. In other words, if you don't win the game - don't throw a tantrum, don't be a sore loser. Compliment those who beat you if they played a fair game and did well. Even in board games, you are competing. There are scores for a reason.

I enjoy the competition. When we play as a group, we keep score. When I'm by myself, I keep score. If nothing else, it shows who did better that day, or it may show how I'm improving myself. I may have been guilty of saying "I don't like competition" in the past - but I think it's more accurate to say "I don't mind not winning." It doesn't ruin my weekend just because you won the round today. Good for you. But I'm still going to beat you next time...
Old 07-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 148
Niced 554 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Explain the right function of competition in recreation. It seems clear that competition serves different purposes, for example biological competition existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of competition as a form of leisure. Is it a diseased extention of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is it a useful cultural process?
You're over-thinking it.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 24
Niced 404 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutrbug View Post
Wil Wheaton does a YouTube channel about board games. In it, he says that he tells his kids not to be upset if they lose - the fun should come from Playing, not from Winning. In other words, if you don't win the game - don't throw a tantrum, don't be a sore loser. Compliment those who beat you if they played a fair game and did well. Even in board games, you are competing. There are scores for a reason.
I tried to instill this way of approaching games and sport with my daughters. It is good to want to win, but having fun is what is important.

At 5 years old, my daughter was playing soccer. 5 year old soccer is a little chaotic and frenetic. Scores aren't kept substitutions are on the fly and two fields are being used to get smaller numbers of kids able to play the ball and more playing at a time, so even if someone wanted to, keeping score would be impossible. Well one game there is a kid on the other team that plays soccer, probably dropped out of the womb and started kicking a ball. scoring at will.
After the game my 5 Year old daughter is distraught at how bad they lost. I'm trying to do the right thing and tell her its about playing the game, having fun and learning while playing. She rolls her eyes at me and says "daddy, scoring goals and winning is what makes it fun."

Some people are born with a different competitive spirit than others.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 67 Times in 37 Posts

You basically cant get better or move forward in something without beeing alittle competetive.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 360
Niced 675 Times in 233 Posts

This seems to be one of those questions that if anyone has to ask it, they probably aren't going to find any of the answers to be to their satisfaction.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,964 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck'n'disc5 View Post
I think he meant to post this.
I think we might have a late contender for post of the decade...

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 768 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Explain the right function of competition in recreation....
Give this guy a participation trophy.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,009 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide

Is it a diseased extention of our national religion of ego-materialism?
I do not agree with the premises of the above two statements. Therefore, there is nothing to discuss from the outset.