Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 677 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Kind of like how Tiger changed ball golf from a game for old white men to something with some real popularity.

Let’s not discount Ricky, Eagle, and Simon either as all of these dudes are doing some insane stuff on the course and cool stuff off the course as well.
Ricky I agree, this is due to how on the course Ricky W and Pual McBeth Push each other. Without Ricky doing what he is doing, then Pual might not be nearly as High Rated as he is now with some events.

Odd though that Nether player has been on the same team ever. Ricky is with Innova Pual Dynamic Disc but before the company made discs with Latitude 64, then Paul goes to Innova and Ricky is with the Trilogy of Latitude 64, and latest Paul ends up at Discraft and Ricky decides to go back to Innova.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 124 Times in 64 Posts

Pual. Pu-al. Poo-Al. Poo-all. Paul.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,316 Times in 660 Posts

Paul and Ricky were both on Team Innova together before Ricky moved to Prodigy. Paul was absolutely on Team Innova while he had whatever sponsorship (apparel?) he had with Dynamic.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,254 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Paul and Ricky were both on Team Innova together before Ricky moved to Prodigy. Paul was absolutely on Team Innova while he had whatever sponsorship (apparel?) he had with Dynamic.
I'm not sure why this keeps coming up or why people can't seem to grasp the idea, but yeah, McBeth was Innova-sponsored forever before he went to Discraft. Like since he was a junior player forever (2005ish).

When this came up last week, I stumbled on a great resource at PDGA.com that I wish they'd do more to publicize, the Disc Golfer magazine archives. Every page of every issue (since 2011) is online. I found the issue highlighting the 2012 Worlds in Charlotte, McBeth's first win. On page 7, there's an full page ad from Innova congratulating Paul for winning Worlds and the NT title complete with an in-the-bag list. Then, on page 19, in the Worlds article, there's are multiple photos of Paul wearing a shirt that has both Innova and DD logos on it. He was with them both at the same time because, until 2013 when DD started manufacturing discs, there was no conflict between the two sponsors.

Ricky got picked up by Innova sometime late in 2011 and stayed with them until Prodigy came calling in late 2012. So he and Paul were teammates during that whole stretch.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,582 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Okay, yeah - I see what I missed. I missed a few posts in there.

Though I will say - he may have still been wearing some of their apparel at that time if his Innova contract allowed it, he had a lot of cool shirts, I doubt DD was going to ask him to stop wearing their apparel - but the Trilogy companies asked all of the players to either convert over to the discs right away, or get transitioned to the ambassador team. I suppose its possible he remained on the ambassador team into 2013? But I don't know how that would have gone over with Innova.
I'm confused, does he play better in DD clothing, Innova clothing or Discraft clothing. Who knew breathable sweat removing clothing was so important?

Niced: (1)
Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 144
Niced 248 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I'm confused, does he play better in DD clothing, Innova clothing or Discraft clothing. Who knew breathable sweat removing clothing was so important?
Well it sounds like he was still wearing DD clothing after Innova picked him up, but I haven't seen him in Innova clothing since Discraft picked him up. So I think by process of elimination we can rule out Innova clothing. Its between the DD clothing or the Discraft clothing. Can someone go back through the years and identify every round in which he wore DD clothing so we can solve this mystery once and for all?

Niced: (2)
Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Sorry I did not know that Paul eventually got a sponsorship with Innova while the Dynamic Disc deal was in affect. I know Paul used a Magnet with rest of discs being Innova brand(s) before his switch to Innova but I did not know when that was that Paul got the deal with Innova.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
It is important for comfort more then likely as a non tech clothing might get soggy quicker then some non tech tees. Some tech Golf tees I have felt are thicker then non tech and thus would not work as well as tech tees. Before a point in the 2000's most of the top level Disc Golfers were still wearing the non sports performance collared shirts for Disc Golf, even Golf by the 2000's most of the top level golfers were wearing sports performance clothing. Odd since In my opinion Disc Golf with some top level type courses one can be more active with Disc Golf than with Golf.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,170 Times in 525 Posts

Polyester sucks.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 123
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 656 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Well it sounds like he was still wearing DD clothing after Innova picked him up, but I haven't seen him in Innova clothing since Discraft picked him up. So I think by process of elimination we can rule out Innova clothing. Its between the DD clothing or the Discraft clothing. Can someone go back through the years and identify every round in which he wore DD clothing so we can solve this mystery once and for all?
Now here's an area where more in-depth analysis will surely yield critical insights into the secrets of disc golf success!

Remember that after DD started their disc production partnership w/ Lat, Paul was sponsored by Adidas and wore their clothing and shoes. Don't recall the exact dates that Paul was sponsored by Adidas, but I believe it covered the more glorious years at Innova.

2015 was the Grand Slam year: he won all five PDGA Majors that offered an MPO division. (Including his 4th consecutive world title.) And also he didn't place worse than 3rd in any PDGA sanctioned event. So by some metrics, his 2019 season -- insanely hot though it's been -- still cannot stack up to what he accomplished in 2015.

[And yes, I've specifically cherry picked a few stats to make that point, which aren't necessarily a fair basis of comparison between 2015 and 2019.]