Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help me get a disc golf course in Westland, MI

Hey everyone!
I'm a disc golfer from Westland, MI and if you're in the area, I need your help! You see, we have a park known as Central City that recently went through an overhaul due to lead contamination. As they removed the contamination, they began planning out what should be put in the park.

As it stands, Central City will become several soccer fields, a farmer's market, and pavilions/restrooms...so in simple terms: a basic, boring park. Behind Central City Park is a huge section of woods, while the park itself is nice, wide open spaces. This seems like the perfect spot to place a 9 hole disc golf course. Not only would be a little closer to home for a lot of disc golfers in the area (closest ones are 20-30 minutes), but it would also bring a lot of visitors to the park.

I've created a petition on change.org, but I need help to really get this thing rolling. As many signatures as possible is preferred. Once I get a number of signatures, I'll present it the mayor and hopefully be able to make a change for local disc golfers, both experienced and new. The link to sign is below!

Thanks!
-Levi

http://www.change.org/petitions/city...tral-city-park
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might consider contacting a local league, they may have a little local knowledge experience contacts etc that could be helpful, most leagues would be interested in seeing a new course go in..

Of course.. I wouldn't want them to see this:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...23#post2170523
Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 320
Niced 204 Times in 95 Posts

Would you be starting a league at this proposed course? If so, we know how you feel about them.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=95362
Old 09-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I came off quite harsh in my forum post, but that was not my intention. I'd just like to see league players speed up their play, and be a little more accepting of newer players. When there are newer players at the courses I go to, league players tend to get very impatient while waiting. It'd be easier to help those new players so their level of play increases faster, and the sport gets a positive view.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 360
Niced 676 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yodeler View Post
I'd just like to see league players speed up their play, and be a little more accepting of newer players.
Quote:
When there are newer players at the courses I go to, league players tend to get very impatient while waiting.
Wow. Just. Wow. Damned if you play too slow. Damned if you get impatient when someone else is.

Quote:
I've created a petition on change.org, but I need help to really get this thing rolling. As many signatures as possible is preferred. Once I get a number of signatures, I'll present it the mayor and hopefully be able to make a change for local disc golfers, both experienced and new.
If I were a public official and someone presented me with an online petition full of signatures of folks who lived nowhere nearby, it would instantly send the message that the petitioner wasn't terribly serious about anything beyond the idea stage, and wasn't going to invest the money and sweat to make their idea come to fruition. In otherwords, I'd know that I was dealing with a slacktivist until they proved otherwise. Next please.

Maybe you could ask someone in your area who has successfully gotten a course installed how they went about it. I doubt a petition on change.org had anything to do with getting results.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

forget the online petition and go talk to your local park department about it.
tell them you can instantly get 10 volunteers to help clear the woods to make the course.

i know theres a lot of disc players near westland, canton, livonia, farmington, redford, etc that will show up to help.