Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,090 Times in 733 Posts

18 is always a better choice and with good design/planning 20 acres is not SMALL for 18 holes its just not a ton of land to work with but you don't need tons of space between holes depending on the land. Also depends on the type of course being designed as a rec 18 requires much less space than a champion gold level course.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 84
Niced 1,355 Times in 590 Posts

Dudes, dudettes,

I don't even have a green light yet and frankly the 20 acres number is a guess off of a map and i will figure it out more precisely later. I don't even have a budget...believe me when I have those two things figured out then we can worry about design.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 220
Niced 159 Times in 85 Posts

I'd use Flaherty as a good example of what a course can do for a small under-utilized park space. The course there seems to have totally revitalized an unused asset in the downtown area. If this is in Watervliet (or a nearby area) then you could have the park people talk to the park people that gave Watervliet the go ahead.

Just a thought. Good luck with this Dave!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
I'd use Flaherty as a good example of what a course can do for a small under-utilized park space. The course there seems to have totally revitalized an unused asset in the downtown area. If this is in Watervliet (or a nearby area) then you could have the park people talk to the park people that gave Watervliet the go ahead.

Just a thought. Good luck with this Dave!
Haha...Speaking of Flaherty I took a walk with my DG buddy Amenz around the property today. I think while we can come up with some fun stuff 9 holes really is going to be the max. Of course all of this hinges on knowing exactly where the township boundaries are. Fortunately, I work for a company that does surveying among other things. The big problem we are going to face with this place is two fold. One, we have a busy, and I mean BUSY freeway on one side. On all the other sides are people's back yards - many with fences. Obviously, that means we need to be careful and stay away from all of that stuff and that really reduces the usable space. Which is too bad because there is this coolio little creek that runs along the back side which we may not be able to put into play as much as we'd like.

Still, I am optimistic there is potential for a solid 9-holer with dual tees.

-Dave
Old 10-26-2013, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Progress!

So I heard back from the township manager today and he said that they are having a parks & rec planning meeting a week from Monday. Bad thing it is in the middle of the day. Been stupid busy at work so I forwarded the email to my boss and asked if I could have 1/2 the day off to go to the meeting and it sounds like he's going to let me go!

Yeeeaaaaahhh!! Now I just need to find out if they want me to do a little presentation or what. Plenty of time to prepare!

-Dave

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Made it to the parks planning meeting and had Amenz bring a practice basket along with a slew of discs. Short version: Didn't go real well. Proposed two locations - one is 12 acres that I originally mentioned here and then a 50 acre monster and both locations were mercilessly shot down by one of the board members. Thought, "Well, there really aren't any other places in the township that are going to work real well..." And then the newspaper does this ON THE FRONT PAGE:

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/news/...fee925fa0.html