* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 346
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,872 Times in 2,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Practice putting every day.
Regardless how obvious, mundane, and unsexy it is, this is the correct answer. Become a better putter, and you'll have the confidence to lay up less, because you won't be worried about the come back.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2021, 04:09 AM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Regardless how obvious, mundane, and unsexy it is, this is the correct answer. Become a better putter, and you'll have the confidence to lay up less, because you won't be worried about the come back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
We’ve been playing the same amount of time. I’m older, out of shape and overweight. My progress is pretty slow right now and in distance, you are way ahead of me. Heck, I’d say that’s true in all aspects.

Still, focusing on hitting your lines is where it is at IMO. The majority of holes are 300-400 feet? So you’ve got distance covered easily if you hit your lines. Winning a mini with that many people sounds like you are doing well in all fronts. But you’ve got pro distance BH. Not bad FH, but could extend that some. And accuracy at x distance is worth another 50-100 feet compared to competition that lacks accuracy.

Throwing lines and hitting target zones is next level IMO.
I would trade 100 feet for accuracy any day, when i played with a norwegian discgolf champion. ( he is 50 years old)

He got the course record on our local course almost twice in a row with one round 10 under par and 8.

He never did any mistakes and took par at worst.

Im getting way to many boogeys and i think is because i get in trouble from tee.

Here is a first round from a turnament. ( im number 3)

Missed a put from 5 feet aswell, it shouldnt happen but it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BACC2A07-0082-452E-890D-8F95499B9813.jpg (141.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-03-2021, 11:16 AM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjimsern View Post
I would trade 100 feet for accuracy any day, when i played with a norwegian discgolf champion. ( he is 50 years old)
This was going to be my first comment after reading the first page of this thread. 500ft with no accuracy doesn't mean much. How accurate are you? Perhaps throw at 70-80% (if you aren't already) and see if your accuracy improves. Do you perform much worse in tournaments compared to a casual round on the same course? Competition requires a strong mental game. I personally play better when I'm solo because I can play faster with more rhythm, less distractions and less competitive stress. To the point where I'm probably 4-6 strokes better when I'm solo.

I find an app like UDisc helps me figure out where I need to improve (other than everywhere).

Wish I had your distance though! Best of luck.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:10 PM
Par Member

Niced 69 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlan View Post
This was going to be my first comment after reading the first page of this thread. 500ft with no accuracy doesn't mean much. How accurate are you? Perhaps throw at 70-80% (if you aren't already) and see if your accuracy improves. Do you perform much worse in tournaments compared to a casual round on the same course? Competition requires a strong mental game. I personally play better when I'm solo because I can play faster with more rhythm, less distractions and less competitive stress. To the point where I'm probably 4-6 strokes better when I'm solo.

I find an app like UDisc helps me figure out where I need to improve (other than everywhere).

Wish I had your distance though! Best of luck.
Really accurate.

One tip I'll give though is don't try to block the pressure or nervousness. Seek it and embrace is to the point you love it. Once you do that you'll start playing better at tournament than casual.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2021, 05:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 191 Times in 91 Posts

There's some really good advice here.

Some of the work is physical - but some of the work (for tournaments) is mental.

My advice is based on what I'm doing right now: Lots and lots of field work, from 180 feet in (that's 55 meters), shaping different shots with my primary approach disc (for me, that's the Prodigy P Model S). Throw flat, throw annys, throw stalls, throw hyzers, throw skips.

The purpose of this effort is focused on two outcomes: save strokes by being able to get up and down in 2 from inside 55 meters, and simplifying my bag - and decision making - by getting the most utility out of a single mold.

Yes, I'm working on my putting. But I'm also working on the shot that makes putting less of an issue. Have you noticed how well the pros make their putts? I want to do the same thing - even though my circle of 100% accuracy putting is considerably smaller. So I figure, why not practice on landing close enough to sink the putt?

And yes, I'll continue to carry other approach discs. But the disc I use most often (other than putting) is the approach disc. SO why not practice with it until I trust it for all sorts of lines, in various weather conditions?

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyooMac View Post
There's some really good advice here.

Some of the work is physical - but some of the work (for tournaments) is mental.

My advice is based on what I'm doing right now: Lots and lots of field work, from 180 feet in (that's 55 meters), shaping different shots with my primary approach disc (for me, that's the Prodigy P Model S). Throw flat, throw annys, throw stalls, throw hyzers, throw skips.

The purpose of this effort is focused on two outcomes: save strokes by being able to get up and down in 2 from inside 55 meters, and simplifying my bag - and decision making - by getting the most utility out of a single mold.

Yes, I'm working on my putting. But I'm also working on the shot that makes putting less of an issue. Have you noticed how well the pros make their putts? I want to do the same thing - even though my circle of 100% accuracy putting is considerably smaller. So I figure, why not practice on landing close enough to sink the putt?

And yes, I'll continue to carry other approach discs. But the disc I use most often (other than putting) is the approach disc. SO why not practice with it until I trust it for all sorts of lines, in various weather conditions?

Good luck!
Im gonna try this a couple of times, thanks.