Old 04-28-2021, 12:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,064 Times in 3,148 Posts

For players I'm sure things like drug use, pencil whipping and fighting are the most common.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2021, 07:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,578 Times in 1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
What actions typically land one on the naughty list? Are people caught cheating frequently or poor sportsmanship issues?

TDs not following PDGA guidelines?
For players it is mostly cheating or drug use with some general bad behavior thrown in. For TD's it is not paying the PDGA their dough.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatflip View Post
So someone (Doc Turner) ran off with a $60K tournament kitty plus sponsorships, PDGA does nothing but put their name on a list, and you tell me that they are scared of lawyers? Seems like they are not scared enough of class action suits. A lot of people are out a not-insignificant amount of money, and angry.

These are the growing pains of the sport, and they need to be dealt with. The longer this type of thing goes on without any accountability, the more the organization becomes a target. The Association would do well to start insuring against this type of contingency so that somebody can step up when someone under their banner falls on their face, which is going to happen again. If there is not enough money coming in from the exponential recent increase in membership to handle the cost, it needs to come in from tournament sanctioning fees.
I am quite certain that the current position of the PDGA on this matter has had plenty of thought put into it and plenty of talk with their lawyers as to the consequences.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 1
Niced 49 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I am quite certain that the current position of the PDGA on this matter has had plenty of thought put into it and plenty of talk with their lawyers as to the consequences.
It sounds like they are making a bet that the injured parties either can't organize effectively or won't think it worth the time. May be a good bet, but it's horrible policy.

The chain of accountability does run through the club but, from a legal perspective, it runs unbroken to the organization who sanctioned the tournament. How many of the 600 people who paid for the tournament would have registered if it wasn't listed on the PDGA website?
Old 04-29-2021, 01:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 55
Niced 111 Times in 61 Posts

Why did HB hand it over to Doc in the first place?
Old 04-29-2021, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38
Courses Played: 252
Niced 6,053 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
It sounds like they are making a bet that the injured parties either can't organize effectively or won't think it worth the time. May be a good bet, but it's horrible policy.

The chain of accountability does run through the club but, from a legal perspective, it runs unbroken to the organization who sanctioned the tournament. How many of the 600 people who paid for the tournament would have registered if it wasn't listed on the PDGA website?
Bowling Green is kind of unique. Last few times I played, they did not run through Disc Golf Scene. All other tournaments I play do. On DGS, you actually sign a waiver that states that the club is responsible for all refunds due to cancellations.

I could be wrong, but I simply don't think the PDGA is responsible.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:05 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 143
Niced 1,361 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
So someone (Doc Turner) ran off with a $60K tournament kitty plus sponsorships, PDGA does nothing but put their name on a list, and you tell me that they are scared of lawyers? Seems like they are not scared enough of class action suits. A lot of people are out a not-insignificant amount of money, and angry.
Seems like you already know what happened.

When a situation is really bad, like Doc Turner, people know.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 78
Niced 34 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Why did HB hand it over to Doc in the first place?
He said he and the other volunteers were getting old, which is probably true, but they were mainly tired of dealing with all of the BS associated with it. It had also become almost too big to effectively run with the amount of volunteers required for 9-10 courses. Doc was wanting to take the reigns and narrow it down to 3-4 courses with tee times and one round per day. He just got the short end of the stick as far as taking over right when COVID hit and hitting after all of the prelim stuff had been paid for. Course rentals, insurance, players pack, etc. All non refundable type stuff. people keep saying he ran off with $60k. I guarantee he did not. I would estimate he was maybe left with $10k or less after it was all said and done. He did a lot for the BG DG community and I just don't think that amount of money is worth being forced to leave the city and the sport in disgrace.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
He said he and the other volunteers were getting old, which is probably true, but they were mainly tired of dealing with all of the BS associated with it. It had also become almost too big to effectively run with the amount of volunteers required for 9-10 courses. Doc was wanting to take the reigns and narrow it down to 3-4 courses with tee times and one round per day. He just got the short end of the stick as far as taking over right when COVID hit and hitting after all of the prelim stuff had been paid for. Course rentals, insurance, players pack, etc. All non refundable type stuff. people keep saying he ran off with $60k. I guarantee he did not. I would estimate he was maybe left with $10k or less after it was all said and done. He did a lot for the BG DG community and I just don't think that amount of money is worth being forced to leave the city and the sport in disgrace.
Insurance is covered by the PDGA under the sanctioning agreement. Pretty sure that he could have sent out the player's packs to all players in order to "make them whole" if they were purchased already. (That's how a lawyer described it to me when faced with a similar situation.) Profit off of those should have been enough to cover postage and any other expenses.

You are obviously much closer to the situation than I however so may know things I do not.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 78
Niced 34 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Insurance is covered by the PDGA under the sanctioning agreement. Pretty sure that he could have sent out the player's packs to all players in order to "make them whole" if they were purchased already. (That's how a lawyer described it to me when faced with a similar situation.) Profit off of those should have been enough to cover postage and any other expenses.

You are obviously much closer to the situation than I however so may know things I do not.
All I can say is, I highly highly doubt that his master plan was to establish a business, improve all the local courses, run tournaments, just to take over the AMs and then make a small profit and have to skip town and stop using the name "Doc"