Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,894 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusted View Post
Wow what a great reply. Took me awhile to finally digest it all. The aha moment was in that link you sent me. This picture:

1. So in this picture I'm guessing end of the black line in Disc golf would be our elbow joint? Meaning if we pull UP on the shoulder (a locked shoulder, right?) It should help sling the elbow forward. I can see how this would add a lot of power which would be generated I guess with the decompression and compression of the legs and knees?

2. Can you tell me exactly where compression and then decompression happens in the Disc Golf swing? Say for someone doing a one step throw. Are you compressing at the reachback? pull through?

3. Im guessing you decompress on top of your plant foot once the heel has been dropped (can has been crushed). Is this correct thinking?

4. And one other question. This means that the beginning of arc has to be falling downwards with the force of gravity pull it down at some point in the throw right? Does this mean the arc needs to point somewhat down when it starts?
1. Correct.

2. Compression on the front leg initiates the forward swing. Crush the Can then swing. You should still be in compression/crushing the can into the finish. You can be extending while still compressing or increasing compression. Backswing should be uncompressed extended/tall/airborne, transition you get shorter and start to compress.

3. You shouldn't fully decompress until after the finish. Your foot can pivot to release the horizontal torque while still being vertically compressed.

4. Yep, your Center of Gravity and shoulder arc should look a like skater half pipe during the swing. Bending the elbow keeps the disc arc flatter.

Note how the red Brinsterochrone Curve is below the horizontal or compressed until the end.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-08-2018, 05:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 542 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You hop and compress against the ground like a spring and generate more efficient force(G-forces)
From here on in Disc golf to be known as Double G-Force....

Old 10-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 375 Times in 139 Posts

A rotational release will center itself over the lead hip joint. A linear one will not.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
1. Correct.

2. Compression on the front leg initiates the forward swing. Crush the Can then swing. You should still be in compression/crushing the can into the finish. You can be extending while still compressing or increasing compression. Backswing should be uncompressed extended/tall/airborne, transition you get shorter and start to compress.

3. You shouldn't fully decompress until after the finish. Your foot can pivot to release the horizontal torque while still being vertically compressed.

4. Yep, your Center of Gravity and shoulder arc should look a like skater half pipe during the swing. Bending the elbow keeps the disc arc flatter.

Note how the red Brinsterochrone Curve is below the horizontal or compressed until the end.

2. Hmm this is tough for me to understand, if we are compressed the whole time through follow through where does that upward tug of the elbow joint happens. How I'm imagining it is that when you crush the can, you compress, then from there you decompress or move upwards to create that upward tug on the elbow joint to help it sling out.

4. Hmm skater half pipe, interesting, so I get how that would work with vertical shift/ compression, you need some gravity to help it sling, but what if you were doing a straight shot or any hyzer angle, wouldn't the arm sit up higher in a way where you wouldn't get the benefit of gravity and that upward tug? So like in a stick golf swing you always see the club head starting high in that reach back and falling downwards in the arc with gravity then tugging upwards to create the parametric acceleration. Aren't some swing angles level or even like a rainbow shape for any hyzer as opposed to the half pipe looking arc of a hyzer?

Last edited by Discusted; 10-08-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,894 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusted View Post
2. Hmm this is tough for me to understand, if we are compressed the whole time through follow through where does that upward tug of the elbow joint happens. How I'm imagining it is that when you crush the can, you compress, then from there you decompress or move upwards to create that upward tug on the elbow joint to help it sling out.

4. Hmm skater half pipe, interesting, so I get how that would work with vertical shift/ compression, you need some gravity to help it sling, but what if you were doing a straight shot or any hyzer angle, wouldn't the arm sit up higher in a way where you wouldn't get the benefit of gravity and that upward tug? So like in a stick golf swing you always see the club head starting high in that reach back and falling downwards in the arc with gravity then tugging upwards to create the parametric acceleration. Aren't some swing angles level or even like a rainbow shape for any hyzer as opposed to the half pipe looking arc of a hyzer?
I think you missed reading this part...
2. You can be extending while still compressing or increasing compression [against the ground].

4. You can still convert gravitational acceleration through the body into centripetal force on any swing plane angle by changing your balance/tilted spiral. Watch how Brinster throws his "flat" and roller shots:

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 10-09-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:55 PM

Niced 8 Times in 3 Posts

https://youtu.be/KSKVvPNb4-w

Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 30 Posts

This is interesting and helpful. However the word "right" in the title had me confused. I think you mean "correctly." I was trying to figure out how you righties were doing this shift to the right of the intended line. That seemed to be more appropriate for lefties.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 315 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroberts View Post
This is interesting and helpful. However the word "right" in the title had me confused. I think you mean "correctly."
That sure makes a lot more sense. I couldn't figure it out. We are now talking about a diagonal stance to the left but how do we shift to the right, wth? Now I understand. Shift correctly.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 AM

Niced 17 Times in 14 Posts

Thank you, HUB, for your windmill drill and this thread! I think this is highly important topic.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:41 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 495 Times in 194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1503 View Post

Yes! Yes! Yes! Great explanation of my long rambling with a Sw22 hammer toss! It’s awesome to see it tested for power, and as he’s explaining how it “feels powerful “ to shift forward, that’s what a targetward shift feels like... it’s not as powerful.

Last edited by HyzerUniBomber; 10-09-2018 at 10:44 AM.