Old 10-20-2019, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,740 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehand Dan View Post
I had Inguinal hernia surgery three weeks ago and still sore and some bloating comes and goes. Feels like discgolf is gonna wait 3-4 months. Anybody else with this experience?
Obviously, follow your surgeon's advice, but 6-8 weeks is the usual full recovery period. Hernia surgeries go very well normally and you should be just as good if not better once healed. Trying to get back to playing too quickly, is kind of dangerous for hernia repairs. The poor outcome can be re-herniation and possible bowel strangulation....a VERY serious complication. Short term downtime for long term reward. You certainly can walk for some exercise and this will also help with some of the bloating. Good luck with your recovery FD.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehand Dan View Post
I had Inguinal hernia surgery three weeks ago and still sore and some bloating comes and goes. Feels like discgolf is gonna wait 3-4 months. Anybody else with this experience?
Had both sides repaired in January. Took off a solid month. 2nd month went on walks and putted. 3rd month light throwing. By 4th month I was played at 80% and probably babying it a bit but why not be careful right?

Months 5 and 6 I was full blast. Had a little soreness on days I was extremely active. By September I was 100%.

It's October now and I've been gunning and no problems, feeling really strong, soreness gone, probably even stronger than previously. Feeling really grateful to be healthy again.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 10-22-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:02 PM

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 44
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have left inguinal surgery scheduled for next week. Had right side done in 2013. This time around it will be left, an umbilical hernia and possibly redoing the right side. I remember for me the pain sucked. I ended up on the hospital for constipation, and a few embarrassing enemas. This time my plan is absolute zero disc golf for 4 weeks. My Dr already has me at no lifting over 10lbs 1st 2 weeks, nothing over 25 for weeks 3 and 4. I specifically did this now during tour ey off season thinking I'll be 100% my Marchish.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn80 View Post
I have left inguinal surgery scheduled for next week. Had right side done in 2013. This time around it will be left, an umbilical hernia and possibly redoing the right side. I remember for me the pain sucked. I ended up on the hospital for constipation, and a few embarrassing enemas. This time my plan is absolute zero disc golf for 4 weeks. My Dr already has me at no lifting over 10lbs 1st 2 weeks, nothing over 25 for weeks 3 and 4. I specifically did this now during tour ey off season thinking I'll be 100% my Marchish.
Walk frequently, drink plenty of water and take stool softeners, while on pain meds. Good luck with the surgery.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:49 PM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 70 Posts

For me the pain wasn't bad at all, and I actually went through the whole process without taking any meds at all. However I was a sore for a few months, and when I was active I would be sore afterwards for about the first 6 months or so.

I would say it took me about a good 8 or so months to recover 100%. Then again I purposely didn't push it and took my time, I'm just a regular guy with a job and not a professional so there was no rush I've got decades of golf for fun ahead of me.

Any reason why your right side needs redone? You mentioned "this time" inferring you didn't take much time off last time? Are you a professional player?

For me I was way too beat up and sore to even think about playing after 4 weeks, heck even 8 weeks. I think taking a long recovery period was the best move and intentional on my part, the results speak for themselves though because I'm fully recovered and actually feel even stronger in my core areas than before.

My dr had me doing a lot of deep breathing exercises on this plastic breathing apparatus for the first 30 days. That and short walks around the block was all I did for the first 30 days.

No issues with constipation because I have a Vitamix blender and was living off of fruit smoothies for the first couple weeks to avoid that and it worked like a charm.

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 10-26-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
For me the pain wasn't bad at all, and I actually went through the whole process without taking any meds at all. However I was a sore for a few months, and when I was active I would be sore afterwards for about the first 6 months or so.

I would say it took me about a good 8 or so months to recover 100%. Then again I purposely didn't push it and took my time, I'm just a regular guy with a job and not a professional so there was no rush I've got decades of golf for fun ahead of me.

Any reason why your right side needs redone? You mentioned "this time" inferring you didn't take much time off last time? Are you a professional player?

For me I was way too beat up and sore to even think about playing after 4 weeks, heck even 8 weeks. I think taking a long recovery period was the best move and intentional on my part, the results speak for themselves though because I'm fully recovered and actually feel even stronger in my core areas than before.

My dr had me doing a lot of deep breathing exercises on this plastic breathing apparatus for the first 30 days. That and short walks around the block was all I did for the first 30 days.

No issues with constipation because I have a Vitamix blender and was living off of fruit smoothies for the first couple weeks to avoid that and it worked like a charm.
It is called and incentive spirometer. The idea being that abdominal surgeries impact your ability to breath deeply and keep your lungs clear of congestion. Those long, slow, deep breaths open your lungs, break up any congestion and maintain a positive air exchange needed to feed cell to facilitate healing. A vital and great tool for any abdominal surgery.

Short term setback for long term benefits. Hope to see ya around some putting leagues this winter, Nick.