Old 10-31-2019, 12:47 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 789 Times in 669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
Hey guys, So I'm a new player, but I'd say I'm more of an intermediate skill level. One of the things I need to fix is being uncomfortable teeing off with a putter. My putting putter is a DD Judge 176, classic blend and I love it. I've got several others in my bag right now and I don't like throwing off the tee with any of them (XT Nova, Wizard, Deputy, Judge).

I think it's probably a mental thing, but none of them feel comfortable in my hand on a tee pad. I have no problem throwing them all 200-250' though. I was given the suggestion to pick up a mold that was more shallow, so I've got a Westside Maiden coming in.

Any suggestions on some other putters I might want to try? I had the Aviar in the starter pack and hated it. I didn't realize until after I wrote it off that it was a 154g.

Side note: I've got a pair of Nuke SS's that I'm not using if anyone is interested. One is a first run.

Thanks!

I recommend Due to how cheap the discs are is trying a #2 Upshot from Lighting Prostyle would be the better choice as the baseline disc is in either a really crappy plastic or a blend that has DuPont in it. Price is right as Gotta Go Gotta Throw is trying to run through the inventory on discs before they start making molds again with the molds and plastic. I hope Gotta Go Gotta Throw is keeping its promise after buying up the Lighting brand after the original owner died and his wife sold the brand to Gotta Go Gotta Throw as they were the ones making the bags for Lighting.

The mold almost like a Colt but cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2019, 05:43 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts

If you like the Judge for putting, I'd suggest giving the Marshal a try. The Marshal is my putting putter, but many use it for throwing, including 5x World Champ Paige Pierce.

I also liked the Tomb idea I saw mentioned above, and I'll add the Stud.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 61
Niced 257 Times in 152 Posts

I can't throw deeper putters either. Something about my fingers tips not contacting the flight plate feels odd to me.

I switched to Bullfrogs early last winter, and thought I had found "The One", but I had a hard time with it in headwinds. I tried a bunch of shallow putters, and finally clicked with the Rhyno. I prefer R-Pro both for the off-the-shelf flight as well as the feel of the plastic as it wears. I also still carry the Bullfrog.

I use a three finger power grip with the disc ripping off of my index pad...the middle and ring finger lay down at a more shallow angle, and the pinky is tucked into my palm.

I'm not a big arm thrower, so my putter throwing is limited to about 225'.

Good luck in your search!

Niced: (2)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts

I have really come to like the bullfrog as a throwing putter.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:30 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 61 Times in 43 Posts

Tiger warrior is hands down the best neutral throwing putter. As it beats in it develops some nice turn but is laser straight on softer throws. A premium version should be available in the next few weeks.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:49 AM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I can't throw deeper putters either. Something about my fingers tips not contacting the flight plate feels odd to me.

I switched to Bullfrogs early last winter, and thought I had found "The One", but I had a hard time with it in headwinds. I tried a bunch of shallow putters, and finally clicked with the Rhyno. I prefer R-Pro both for the off-the-shelf flight as well as the feel of the plastic as it wears. I also still carry the Bullfrog.

I use a three finger power grip with the disc ripping off of my index pad...the middle and ring finger lay down at a more shallow angle, and the pinky is tucked into my palm.

I'm not a big arm thrower, so my putter throwing is limited to about 225'.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks! I'll have to look into a Rhyno and give that grip a try. Usually if I'm throwing w/ a power grip it's 4 finger. I'd never considered 3 fingers instead.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:52 AM
Par Member

Niced 39 Times in 36 Posts

can't go wrong with a opto Mercy!
Old 10-31-2019, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 1,976 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzle34 View Post
Tiger warrior is hands down the best neutral throwing putter. As it beats in it develops some nice turn but is laser straight on softer throws. A premium version should be available in the next few weeks.
wow this is a complete advertisement

how much do you get paid per post like this

Niced: (2)
Old 10-31-2019, 12:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 595 Times in 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
Hey guys, So I'm a new player, but I'd say I'm more of an intermediate skill level. One of the things I need to fix is being uncomfortable teeing off with a putter. My putting putter is a DD Judge 176, classic blend and I love it. I've got several others in my bag right now and I don't like throwing off the tee with any of them (XT Nova, Wizard, Deputy, Judge).

I think it's probably a mental thing, but none of them feel comfortable in my hand on a tee pad. I have no problem throwing them all 200-250' though. I was given the suggestion to pick up a mold that was more shallow, so I've got a Westside Maiden coming in.

Any suggestions on some other putters I might want to try? I had the Aviar in the starter pack and hated it. I didn't realize until after I wrote it off that it was a 154g.

Side note: I've got a pair of Nuke SS's that I'm not using if anyone is interested. One is a first run.

Thanks!
Off the tee for a putter I HIGHLY recommend an MVP Atom or an Axiom Proxy. Both have a good hand feel for throwing. Both have VERY good control and are very straight. My top 2 picks for throwing putters.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:46 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 61 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
wow this is a complete advertisement

how much do you get paid per post like this
Pretty pretentious of you to make a comment like that and nice job adding anything relevant to the conversation. The tiger warrior IS the best throwing putter I have thrown. Whether you believe so is your own prerogative. Because I am a team discmania member I suppose everything I say and do is to get a buck