Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 167 Times in 100 Posts
Default The Importance of Thumb Position

I think I just figured out how to fix the nose angle issues that have killed my BH distance. I have had a rough time trying to figure out why all of my driver throws are nose up. I read something on DGR today, where JR (of the Scandinavian Video Mafia) advised to put your thumb halfway over the flight-plate and halfway over the wing. Previously, I held the disc with my thumb directly over my index fingertip; I thought this was the strongest grip, but it messed up the orientation of the disc in my hand.

Once I moved my thumb where JR suggested, I could tell right away that the disc was at a much better angle and my pre-throw hammer-pounds felt more fluid and powerful. My throws were much better, without the obvious nose up that I had before. Everything felt smoother, I think due in part to me previously having to use an F'd up arm motion to have the disc leave my hand somewhat level. Now everything feels nice, I can accelerate my arm past the rip point and my knee doesn't hurt.

I hope I can hang on to this, maybe it was just as simple as bad thumb position causing incurable nose up.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 167 Times in 100 Posts

Oh, and I got a nice distance gain as well. I was the quintessential maxing out at 300' guy, but I hit 340' tonight at least 3 times (there is only one hole over 300' at this course.) I was parking a slightly uphill 290' hole with 15' or so of rise every time with a variety of discs.