Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: To flatten or not to flatten
Should be Allowed to Flatten 96 55.17%
Shold not be allowed to Flatten 64 36.78%
What is flattening? 14 8.05%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Pettition To Allow Flattening of Discs

I realize disc flattening is against the rules but why? If a disc is meant to be flat and comes out domey, IMO the disc is flawed. We, the consumer, should have the right to fix this problem by flattening the disc to create a comfortable grip. From experience flattening can change the stability of a mold but it is usually very little and can be chalked up to the disc breaking in.

If I can sand the flashing off a disc (manufacturers defect) why can I not flatten it? Perhaps this rule was put into place when DX plastic was promenent and the PDGA feared people tuning their discs?

Doesn't lat64 flatten their discs after removing them from the mold? Is this not what was done to the Flat top Gators just released?

I hate relating this to ball golf, but to me this is much like buying a driver and having it regripped and rebalanced.

For those of you against disc flattening, am I missing something? What are the disadvantages of allowing players to flatten their discs?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by DikkaD; 05-05-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 22 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DikkaD View Post
I realize disc flattening is against the rules but why? If a disc is meant to be flat and comes out domey, IMO the disc is flawed. We, the consumer, should have the right to fix this problem by flattening the disc to create a comfortable grip. From experience flattening can change the stability of a mold but it is usually very little and can be chalked up to the disc breaking in.

If I can sand the flashing off a disc (manufacturers defect) why can I not flatten it? Perhaps this rule was put into place when DX plastic was promenent and the PDGA feared people tuning their discs?

Doesn't lat64 flatten their discs after removing them from the mold? Is this not what was done to the Flat top Gators just released?

I hate relating this to ball golf, but to me this is much like buying a driver and having it regripped and rebalanced.

For those of you against disc flattening, am I missing something? What are the disadvantages of allowing players to flatten their discs?
How do you determine "If a disc is meant to be flat"?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Is this even an issue? Who can tell if I make my disc flat? And who is going to care? And who can prove it even if they suspect it?

In other words, the poll should have a "meh" option.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Banned

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

or we could just ignore the pdga
Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Roc3s come out domey as do alot of the 3 molds. Sorry to bother you big sky, you can go back to eating your bon bons now.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

If you start specifically allowing some post-production modification to discs, it starts you down a very slippery slope and much more questions about what is and is not allowed.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,450 Times in 746 Posts

Dome is not considered in the PDGA's approval process so there's no way to say a disc should or shouldn't be flat/domey.

Any change to a dome through flattening is an intentional post-production modification performed in a manner that violates the established rules. Does it really do a whole to make the disc flight change substantially? Not really. Does it violate PDGA rules? Yes. Golfers competing in PDGA sanctioned rules should be following the established rules of play to ensure a level playing field.

If you find a disc you like the dome of, buy a stack of them so you don't have to cheat (yes, it's cheating even if you don't get caught) to feel comfortable throwing discs.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
or we could just ignore the pdga
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
If you start specifically allowing some post-production modification to discs, it starts you down a very slippery slope and much more questions about what is and is not allowed.
I can see this but what else can we do besides melting down the plastic and making our own molds. Puncturing a disc make it illegal, so no putting holes in them. Maybe an acid drip to make dimples.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 360
Niced 736 Times in 257 Posts

Once you start opening the Pandora's box of post production modification, there will be no clear line of where a legal disc becomes an illegal one.

A flashing is a flaw that can be removed since it was never intended to be there in the first place. A flight plate that comes out domey being flattened is another matter, because a user may not flatten it exactly back to where the manufacturer intended it to be.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Dome is not considered in the PDGA's approval process so there's no way to say a disc should or shouldn't be flat/domey.

Any change to a dome through flattening is an intentional post-production modification performed in a manner that violates the established rules. Does it really do a whole to make the disc flight change substantially? Not really. Does it violate PDGA rules? Yes. Golfers competing in PDGA sanctioned rules should be following the established rules of play to ensure a level playing field.

If you find a disc you like the dome of, buy a stack of them so you don't have to cheat to feel comfortable throwing discs.
I'm not saying we should cheat, just pressure the PDGA into allowing it.