Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 01-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Starting over Driving Technique: Step 1- putter practice

Just using my reachback and torso, taking no standing step throw. Just hips...
I threw 4 sets of my 8 KC Pro Aviars and these were my best 5 throws of 32.
My worst was 150' and average was about 160-175 my best over 200' and I had a few over 180'

Good placement on my best 20%

I figure when I can throw over 180 with at least 70% of my putters then I can go to step 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (124.2 KB, 88 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2015, 04:46 PM
*Moderator*

Courses Played: 33
Niced 496 Times in 194 Posts

I'm not putting any constraints on what you should do, but keep in mind that the most basic form of the standing drive can easily go 200-250' once you work out the hit.

that first drive was approximately 220', then they get longer from there, with the last throw (the truth) measured on google earth was 370'.

clearly we're all working with different strengths and weaknesses, but I do really believe that if you can work out that first drive mechanics - you'll hit 200-250' with a putter all day long, and the physical wear and tear on your body is minimal.

I would also suggest that if you're driving with a putter, make sure it's not so beat and warbled that it'll be a struggle to drive them flat.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

This is why I love this place. I can be on a plateau and I will find something useful that will ALWAYS help my name out, no matter what.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 68 Times in 43 Posts

Interesting idea...I see some similarity between this and the Beato Drill (these are ones I should definitely do more often). I love that you were able to map it all out and get some data down. Do you guys think putters are best for practicing this type of drill? Would a neutral mid work better? Perhaps a combination of both could help out here...

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:34 PM
*Moderator*

I always think of a Mako (0 turn, 0 fade) or similar as a really nice mid for benchmarking flat releases.

Putters like an Anode or a an Aviar are also nice as they won't hide any wonky releases.

I don't think there's any reason to avoid a mid like a Mako personally. I think a wider disc is easier to feel the effects of a developing hit, as it's a longer lever that you're throwing.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

FWIW, I've found that it's easiest to feel and replicate a good hit with a mid. Putters and fairway drivers aren't bad, but for some reason I get more good hits with a mid than any other disc type.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 41
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last DJ View Post
Interesting idea...I see some similarity between this and the Beato Drill (these are ones I should definitely do more often). I love that you were able to map it all out and get some data down. Do you guys think putters are best for practicing this type of drill? Would a neutral mid work better? Perhaps a combination of both could help out here...

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
I always think of a Mako (0 turn, 0 fade) or similar as a really nice mid for benchmarking flat releases.

Putters like an Anode or a an Aviar are also nice as they won't hide any wonky releases.

I don't think there's any reason to avoid a mid like a Mako personally. I think a wider disc is easier to feel the effects of a developing hit, as it's a longer lever that you're throwing.
Sorry for the slight derail here - but this has been bothering me as I keep reading to using putters / mids for fieldwork primarily. One thing that stands out to me with mids/putters is that although they are good at showing weird releases - they are way more (too) forgiving to nose up issues that constantly bother me (and many others). Now don't get me wrong - i realize throwing destroyers 200' isn't great fieldwork and you have to have appropriate discs that you can get up to speed for the drill / shot you are working on.

For that reason, I try to vary my fieldwork and be sure to include fairways & (slower) drivers.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM
*Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo View Post
Your thoughts?
Once you've worked out the hit with a mid - you will have to make adjustments to a wider rim. It's not a slight change either. The hit is violent and holding through it is much easier with thinner rimmed discs.

Nose down issues will be a problem for most who disc down to putters and mids, but it's a fairly easy issue to solve. Tip your wrist down into the coffee pouring position and watch the disc to make sure you can't see the flight plate.

I had quite a few rough weeks where I was coming back to fairway drivers and eventually distance drivers after field working putters/mids for months. It felt unnaturally nose down for a while.

All that said, the easiest way to repeatable distance is developing that hit and until you are seeing the hallmarks of a hit, discing up is going to be leading you down a difficult path.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Perhaps stupid newb question, but what are you guys mean when you say "a hit"?

Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 312 Times in 183 Posts

I believe that hitting the 'hit' is to focus the acceleration to a single point where the energy is at its maximum. It's about syncing the levers so that they all accelerate at the same time, at that point the disc rips out of your hand as a result of the momentum and the energy transferred to it.