Old 02-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Teebird3 vs Thunderbird

Flight comparisons between the T3 and Thunderbird?

Thunderbird is 9-5-0-2
T3 is 8-4-0-2

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...45876O777921OO

Flight chart says T3 is more HSS than the thunderbird.. I have a t3 in my bag and i'm beginning to think maybe I don't anymore with the thunderbird now in it. Anyone bag both and if so what do you one for that you don't use the other for? Too much overlap? Also anyone who bags a thunderbird do you also bag a teebird (regular) for shorter distances or do you go from thunderbird to your mid range slot without anything inbetween for common use other than utility discs?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

I can't tell you a ton about the T3 because I don't bag one. However, my understanding is that the T3 wasn't submitted for PDGA approval because it is just a retooled TeeBird. Humorously, the TeeBird itself actually shows a longer flight than the T3 (which is supposed to be "faster") on the inbounds chart, but I digress. I don't think there is actually a lot of difference distance-wise between a T3 and a regular TeeBird, although there may be a difference in the shape of the flight (amount of HSS and LSS). Others with more T3 experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

I did briefly bag a Thunderbird, but I stopped because there was just too much overlap. I throw max D around 400 feet and on any typical day there isn't more than 30-40 feet between a distance drive with a Destroyer and one with a TeeBird. I just don't need another disc for that distance. If the basket were right in the middle of my typical range, I'd still have a 15-20 foot putt with either disc. Obviously that gap is going to widen for bigger arms than mine; if you are throwing 450 regularly then you probably need a tweener like the Thunderbird, but for someone in my distance range, it's unnecessary.

Obviously lots of people have different philosophies about how much overlap they allow between different discs in their bags. I only speak for myself here, but for me there's too much overlap and I wouldn't bag both.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Definitely the Thunderbird because it has a little more speed and glide. And it's like a broken in Firebird, a dream for all Fire Chicken lovers.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I can't comment on the t3 as I've never thrown one. However I do bag 2 thunderbirds and a variety of teebirds and think they compliment each other perfectly. Before the thunderbird came out I had never used a "control driver", I went straight from teebirds to destroyers. The thunderbird is the least thrown driver in my bag, however I'm glad I have it the couple times a round where I do throw it. It pretty much only comes out on throws longer then 360 but less then 400. That's a fairly small gap but it is helpful. I don't my thunderbirds and teebirds overlap at all. You'd have to kill me to take my teebirds out of the bag. It'll never happen.

I will also say that I think inbounds rating of -2% HSS for thunderbirds is on the money. After they break in all my thunderbirds have had a slight wiggle to the right.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I rarely use my T3 anymore if at all since I got a new star teebird. I love that teebird, but since I put in the thunderbird I find myself not using the teebird very much at all.. which says how little I use the T3. I feel like I use my teebird when I need a straight shot that is like 300 or longer. Just below 300 I use my roc3's.

I am trying to finalize my bag. I have only been playing for slightly less than a year. Despite that, I am confident I am better than a large majority of beginners. I can drive 400 maybe a bit more on a good throw. I am trying to limit the amount of molds in my bag and I think I'm definitely taking out the T3. But was also thinking about taking out the teebird because I feel anything over what my roc3's can do I might as well use the thunderbird.. just don't know why I would keep the teebird or T3 if I have a thunderbird.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only T3 I threw was a Gstar. It flew great, exactly as advertised, but not longer than a Teebird. Kind of got there quicker and lower. One day I smoked a tree and now resides at the bottom of a lake. Thunderbird is a great disc... Longer than Teebird for sure.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 68
Niced 131 Times in 66 Posts

Please do yourself a favor and do not worry about disc overlap.
Play a couple runds with both in your bag. Throw the same shot with both the t3 and Thunder. Throw annys with both. Throw hyzers. If one does something you like and the other does another shot well, keep them both. If you find you don't reach for the t3 after a few rounds, take it out.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've tried both for a while but neither stayed in my bag after a couple months, to me it seemed my standard teebird was more stable. But yeah they overlap between that and my saint/saint pro.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

I use my Champ T3 as a more stable TeeBird. Don't let the speed rating of 8 fool you. It's nonsense. It's still a TeeBird. Just flat. I also bag Thunderbirds. They've proven to be useful as they are longer fliers than me TeeBirds. All 3 are great discs and can be used for different shots. I could get by with just Regular Champ TeeBirds though.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjman View Post
Please do yourself a favor and do not worry about disc overlap.
Play a couple runds with both in your bag. Throw the same shot with both the t3 and Thunder. Throw annys with both. Throw hyzers. If one does something you like and the other does another shot well, keep them both. If you find you don't reach for the t3 after a few rounds, take it out.
There is overlap it seems for me, which is the whole premise for me posting this as well as deciding to possibly take one or the other out of the bag.