Old 03-27-2015, 04:46 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Creating artificial obstacle/trees ?

So, I have a lot of field space to design holes, but I don't know how to make them at all challenging. In lieu of planting trees, I was thinking of using multiple fence posts /pvc pipes as artificial trees....

Like, you could stack 4 or 5 side by side, creating a 6 or 8 feet high wall.... and put them 40 feet in front of the basket, or 40 feet out from the teepad, etc.

Imagine 4 or 5 of these lined up side by side guarding a green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg targ.jpg (56.8 KB, 139 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2015, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 320
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 408 Times in 187 Posts

If it were me, I'd definitely prefer planting trees.

Not sure where the funding is coming from, but Adam Jones and crew have 300 trees to plant at Osage Grove this weekend, to define the more open holes, as he had planned. Might check with him on how that's being accomplished.

...and of course I'm just brainstorming here, but this made me think of a way to work with a community on putting in some nice pines every year: get every family you can (maybe those that access or use the space) to buy a live (root balled) Chistmas tree each year and donate them to the cause?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

You could buy a crepe myrtle for a couple bucks more than the cost of a few 4x4 posts- they grow fast and look nice too.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,268 Times in 1,122 Posts

I think most people would prefer trees. Problem is, saplings really don't grow well when subjected to constatnt tree hits, and buying mature trees is pricey. If you're planting trees well away from the line of fire, you could plant saplings and they'd do alright... but if they're not all that likely to get hit, are they really affecting the shot?

Doug hit on a key point: fast growing.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 45
Niced 22 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDan View Post
So, I have a lot of field space to design holes, but I don't know how to make them at all challenging. In lieu of planting trees, I was thinking of using multiple fence posts /pvc pipes as artificial trees....

Like, you could stack 4 or 5 side by side, creating a 6 or 8 feet high wall.... and put them 40 feet in front of the basket, or 40 feet out from the teepad, etc.

Imagine 4 or 5 of these lined up side by side guarding a green.
^^^Looks like a tone pole. It'll have to look more natural for me. Gotta go with trees.

One thing I've done as temp obstacles that is kinda similar was to use large dead branches from trees and dig a post sized hole and plant them into the ground. The bigger the branches with no leaves the better. With a little trimming they can end up looking like a dead tree that's been there for years. The possibilities to create unique obstacles are endless and you can change them with ease rather quickly. They don't cost anything and can be found almost anywhere. It can buy you some time until your real trees grow big enough.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,522 Times in 1,531 Posts

Trees. You can get them pretty cheaply. Posts won't grow taller over the years.

Near the tee, young trees may not survive disc impacts, but further down the fairway they should be fine. Trees with lots of low foliage have a bit of built-in protection.

But---depending on the location, getting small trees established over the first couple of years is tough. At least the posts don't require watering.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:00 AM

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You could also add shrubs and bushes to help shape lines, provide faux elevation changes to clear them.

On the other hand I like the idea of a "urban" setup with all non natural obstacles. Piles of pallets, posts, buy a few trailers and park them there. Just really redneck it out. Maybe a few huge mudpits.

After writing that i realize trees still wins...
Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 833
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 20 Times in 12 Posts

Yeah, i been debating on a man-made tree myself, its a really sandy hill but i was hoping to just insert a telephone pole and then drill holes in it and place "branches" with old cracked and deformed discs at the end, i think a "disc" tree would be cool.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 123
Niced 243 Times in 94 Posts

Watching some Scandinavian tournament videos I’ve noticed they use strategically placed crossed posts or a lattice fence. It doesn’t look too bad to me.

You might also consider planting some trees and putting up posts or a fence in front of the saplings or young trees to protect them until they can hold their own against discs.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
Watching some Scandinavian tournament videos I’ve noticed they use strategically placed crossed posts or a lattice fence. It doesn’t look too bad to me.

You might also consider planting some trees and putting up posts or a fence in front of the saplings or young trees to protect them until they can hold their own against discs.
Lattice doesnt sound too bad- but would probably break with the right shot. a Chainlink wall with Ivy grown over the whole thing might be interesting- still natural, grows fast, and noone is gonna bust through chainlink fence.