Old 07-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 13 Times in 4 Posts

My first course design and installation was a county park called Glenwood Park in Princeton WV. Disc golf was unheard of here and I had experience with many courses because I travel for work. I pitched the idea to this park citing the benefits it would would be to the park, which at the time was very under-utilized. Rather than the park taking my suggestion and doing it they asked me to design, build, and install. Although nervous I would do a good job I gladly accepted and spent the next 4 months just walking the property. Probably went through 5 or 6 different layouts before settling on what I thought was the best. I then had to pitch the course to the county commission and they were 100% on board. Innova had our state local legend Johnny Sias come and walk my layout since they had no idea who I was and wanted to make sure it was safe. Johnny loved it. The course opened for play almost a year later july 4th 2014. Since then I've started a club and the sport is starting to really grow here.

With my name attached to the design I was then approached by Bluefield College in Bluefield WV. They were interested in a 9 hole course on their campus. I literally ran a final test run today. I asked for students who had never played to see how these holes would play on a college campus. Everything went great and baskets will be ordered next week.

While running a trilogy challenge at Glenwood 3 weeks ago I was approached by Church of God people who said they had a large piece of land about 45 minutes from me in Fayetteville, WV. The land is owned by WV Church of Gold and is a horse farm in addition to a home for under priviledged youth. The propery also hosts different youth camps. I have an appointment to walk the property for the first time tomorrow. The are for sure they want a course and have already ordered 18 innova baskets. I'll update after tomorrow how the property walk goes.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Birdie Member

My first course design with 2 more coming.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6974

I'd also add one of the things I did most and I think is important is do not fall in love with a hole just because it's good for you. I made sure I had friends of all levels test holes. My course has 3 tee pads per hole and it was very important for me to make a course that was fun for most skill levels. Especially since the sport is so new here.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 326
Niced 255 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_b_4 View Post
My first course design and installation was a county park called Glenwood Park in Princeton WV. Disc golf was unheard of here and I had experience with many courses because I travel for work. I pitched the idea to this park citing the benefits it would would be to the park, which at the time was very under-utilized. Rather than the park taking my suggestion and doing it they asked me to design, build, and install. Although nervous I would do a good job I gladly accepted and spent the next 4 months just walking the property. Probably went through 5 or 6 different layouts before settling on what I thought was the best. I then had to pitch the course to the county commission and they were 100% on board. Innova had our state local legend Johnny Sias come and walk my layout since they had no idea who I was and wanted to make sure it was safe. Johnny loved it. The course opened for play almost a year later july 4th 2014. Since then I've started a club and the sport is starting to really grow here.

With my name attached to the design I was then approached by Bluefield College in Bluefield WV. They were interested in a 9 hole course on their campus. I literally ran a final test run today. I asked for students who had never played to see how these holes would play on a college campus. Everything went great and baskets will be ordered next week.

While running a trilogy challenge at Glenwood 3 weeks ago I was approached by Church of God people who said they had a large piece of land about 45 minutes from me in Fayetteville, WV. The land is owned by WV Church of Gold and is a horse farm in addition to a home for under priviledged youth. The propery also hosts different youth camps. I have an appointment to walk the property for the first time tomorrow. The are for sure they want a course and have already ordered 18 innova baskets. I'll update after tomorrow how the property walk goes.
With two new courses in the works, you're making me want to head back to WV. Keep up the great work Greg.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelboycraig View Post
With two new courses in the works, you're making me want to head back to WV. Keep up the great work Greg.
Hey Craig! Nice to hear from you. Hopefully next time you come there are more courses and better weather!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,286 Times in 1,067 Posts

Don't let people from Alamance Co., NC design your golf course. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 177
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Don't let people from Alamance Co., NC design your golf course. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 115
Niced 291 Times in 142 Posts

Have been involved in: 1) redesign of a short course at a YMCA camp, 2) redesign of a short course at a county park, 3) redesign of an existing long course at a county park, and 4) design and installation of long course in county park for Worlds. At the YMCA camp, I literally moved baskets and put in tee locations solo. It's a decent little rec/camp course. At the short course at the county park we were promised the park staff would mow on a regular basis. Hasn't happened. Boy Scouts put cement pads and new signage in a year or two after the redesign, which helped immensely. However, park still doesn't do any maintenance. #3 and 4 are close to my house and are being worked on/improved constantly.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 68 Times in 27 Posts

Necrobump....

2 years later and Black Bear DGC is mostly in the ground. 18 baskets in the ground. Fairways have been mostly cleared. Getting some good reviews in spite of no signs, no concrete tees, no benches, etc. Those things will all come in time.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 113 Times in 46 Posts

Zombie post!

Wow I had just moved here when this thread began. ..now we have all 18 baskets out and a 9 hole pitch and putt.

Still heaps to do and polish but she shines up real nice for events.

Visits from my crew have stretched out to once every 4 months and the locals have yet to embrace the sport. Weekly open days have fallen flat so far.

Niced: (1)

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Birdie Member

Well I posted back in july 2015 with a total of 3 courses. I am now close to finishing the build of another 18 hole course in princeton wv. This project started back in October 2016, design has long been approved and I'm clearing the holes slowly. Not getting much help but it is what it is. Seems I'm starting to make somewhat of a name for myself in WV as I have been asked to design a championship course in Barboursville wv, and I've given consultation and design thoughts on 2 courses near Lewisburg wv.

Niced: (2)