Old 01-06-2017, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 567 Times in 347 Posts

Depends on the type of water. Is it shallow and clean, serving to only add strokes? Or is it murky, goose **** filled, and so deep that any disc you throw in is never seen again?

The former is fun. The latter isn't.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 465 Times in 282 Posts

Mostly the latter, I used to work there years ago harvesting water lillies, so I've been in and out of those ponds a hundred times. Most aren't terrible, but there will definitely be lost discs.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

Based on the 6 other courses within 20 miles of that location, I'd be tempted to make it as much water based as possible. That would be the thing that sets it apart from the other courses.

But I wouldn't make it too difficult. It really sucks paying to play and losing a disc or two or three.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 567 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Mostly the latter, I used to work there years ago harvesting water lillies, so I've been in and out of those ponds a hundred times. Most aren't terrible, but there will definitely be lost discs.
Then I'd definitely work the holes in a way to cater towards beginners. I know a few courses with the murky water that swallows discs as soon as it goes in, and those really suck the fun out for beginners. Part of the draw of DG is the low price to get started, and losing a disc or two in a round really detracts from that. ITs not like ball golf where the balls are easier to replace than a disc you've thrown for years.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

I definitely agree, I don't want people to lose 5 discs every time they play there, that's no fun. I spoke to the manager and I'm sure he would grab any he or his team would come across while working the ponds (the whole job is wading in and feeling around on the bottom) and do a lost and found.

I just want to make sure it's worth the cost of entry, so we can keep it there. It would be great to have a few tournaments there as well.

Keep that input coming guys!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 320
Niced 408 Times in 187 Posts

With this type of water, in addition to a lost and found, you might want to stock up on mailing envelopes, and advertise that your entry fee includes 'disc insurance': you'll mail back every lost disc you find if folks will leave disc details and mailing info after the round. (Obviously you can't guarantee, but will try). Might even leave a 'go fund me' jar by the lost disc register for people to donate to the cost of this service.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

That's a damn fine idea^^
Old 01-06-2017, 09:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,881 Times in 1,760 Posts

I get enough complaints about our one true water hole and most people seem to either love it or hate it. There is a layup option that nobody ever takes and probably 2 out of every 3 discs that go in the pond are retrievable.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,271 Times in 1,122 Posts

As one of the earlier posts mentioned, using water responsibly involves providing landing zones or shorter tees reachable for us noodle arms that may require an additional shot, but doesn't force water carries that can't be made by all.

I'm also an advocate of using it diferently on different holes. Maybe down the left side on one, looming 15 ft behind the pin on another, down the right side of another. Maybe even a short tunnel with it lining both sides as long as the fairway isn't ridiculously tight.

Have a hole that curves around the edge of a pond, so that big arms can carry the direct route, shorter throwers can play around' trying to avoid fading (or turning) in to it.

And whatever you do, use it to enhance beauty, even if only as a backdrop where it doesn't really come into play.

I suggest limiting the # of holes where it's a prominent risk of disc loss to no more than half. Think quality, creativity, and variety, over sheer qty.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-07-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.9
Courses Played: 60
Niced 372 Times in 206 Posts

Mostly flat, few elevation changes, lightly wooded as a base sounds pretty uninspiring to start with. Multiple water carries, likely abnormal amount, do not add for me. Sure, a water carry now and then is fun and scenic, but it's just another OB but with bad recovery options.
So, no I do not like in theory. The water features sound like they would have to be pushed too much for difficulty and interest which may be a counterproductive affect on fun and desire for replay.