Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 38
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Are you an object snob?

We play at a great object course here in Va, but we find a bit of reluctance by many players to come out and try it, because it doesn't have baskets. I love baskets and yes, the course would be better with them, but it still is a great course layout and a lot of fun, but why are people so snobbish toward object courses? When I mention it and get to the part about it being an object course, some people sigh or roll their eyes, give me a break. Object courses are what started the game and there is nothing wrong with them. In some ways they can be harder.....just wanted to discus. Do you and your friends act like object courses are beneath you? Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think it's beneath us, but we just love the sound of the chains. Maybe if the object decided to yell or scream when it got hit??

Just wondering, where is this course at?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Me and some friends made a 27 hole object course down the street from our hood years ago but dont really play it anymore, its where I got my first ace (even though I dont consider it a real ace). Its fun every once in a while but I would never drive out of my way to play one.

-Theres nothing like the sound of chains!!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

still being new and not knowing much about the history of DG...i'm ashamed to say this if the first time i've heard of an object course...i might have to try this at the park around the corner from my house (that i wish they would install a DG course at, they're trying to)...any tips on what to use as targets, just trees? or other things?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 38
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Park is in Colonial Heights in White Bank park. On this site its listed and has a great map for the course. If making an object course, the targets are best marked with bright tape on trees or poles and such. Mark the tape with a top and bottom and simulate the size and width of a basket. Gottafixit, on this site actually designed White Bank and would be far more helpful on how to set one up than me.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
still being new and not knowing much about the history of DG...i'm ashamed to say this if the first time i've heard of an object course...i might have to try this at the park around the corner from my house (that i wish they would install a DG course at, they're trying to)...any tips on what to use as targets, just trees? or other things?
Well what we did, was spray paint 2 horizontal lines on a tree and then put the hole number in the middle. How big the space inbetween the 2 lines depended on how wide the tree was. And I know most places you cant just casually spray paint trees but we did it in an abandoned gravel pit so it wasnt really vandalizing anything. If you wanted to use this method at a park then chalk might be a good temporary option.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was thinking maybe some of the orange 1" wide plastic streamer you get at Home Depot when you buy something that will stick out the back of your car, so people can see it...if that makes any sense...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 102
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Oh yes

I would say I'm an object snob. I've played "dinger" courses in several states. Thats what I've always called them, due to the fact I've always heard them to be called tone poles, so it's a dinger to me! I call a "dinger" a drive or upshot that hits the pole under the basket too. But of course only IN the basket counts, unless you're playing a dinger I guess.

I'm a snob about it for the record. I choose not to play the two or three near me in denver, co.

Hey StarV, Funny that you mention that because I've played some spray painted trees near flint. First time I played Flip City, you could still see the faded spray painted lines and numbered trees just like you did. Maybe you can still see it, I don't know it's been years, But I'm going over Christmas, Snow or Shine!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 PM

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've never seen an object course, But back about 8 or 9 years ago there were somethings that you could buy that was not a basket. It was about a 6 foot tall 4X4 with a 1 of 1.5 ft long 4X4 that stuck out to the side making a 90 angle at the top(like an upside down L). It then had one chain that went from the end of the 1ft long to about a foot from the top of the 6ft tall one (kind of forming a P). I don't know how you played with them but I guess you would place the thing in the ground and then try to hit the chain or make it between the chain.

I do not know if I would really like a object course really as I have a bad time already with tree messing up my disc.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.6
Courses Played: 1418
Niced 178 Times in 63 Posts

Way, way back in about 1977, I was working at the recreation department in a small town called Fircrest in Washington state. My boss at the time showed me an article in a recreation magazine about this new sport some people were playing in California called Frisbee Golf or Folf. So we decided to build our own Frisbee Golf Course. We set 6" round poles in the ground with a number at the top. The problem was whenever you putted, you aimed at the very bottom of the pole near the grass line. So we were always having these arguements about whether your disc hit the pole or stopped short by an inch or so. On the rare occasion when someone would hit one from 100 feet or more, probably 50% of the time there was a question about, did it actually hit. It was a few years later that we finally got the brillant idea to paint a couple of lines up higher on the poles to throw at.

That course was the first permanent course built in the Northwest. It's still there today. I don't think anyone has played it in many years and I haven't bothered listing it on this site because I wouldn't want anyone driving any distance to waste their time playing it.

So when I am planning a trip, if I see a course is an object course, I will automatically cross it off my to play list.