Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Niced 13 Times in 4 Posts
Default My drives suck. What's one thing you would tell a new player to gain distance

Besides X-Step, I'll work on this later, and watch such and such video. I've been playing about a month and I'm getting tired of having to play as drive, drive, approach, putt. I'm usually always 1 over thanks to my short distances.

And by suck I mean I like 100 feet not counting downhill. Uphill is even worse. Or am I just expecting progress way too quick?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,730 Times in 753 Posts

Find an experienced player or two to play a couple rounds with.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts

^ That. No quicker way to improve.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 465 Times in 282 Posts

Don't do an x step, and don't try to throw it far. Seriously, it's one of those things where the harder you try to throw wthe harder it is. Slow is smooth, smooth is far.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 131
Niced 183 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Don't do an x step, and don't try to throw it far. Seriously, it's one of those things where the harder you try to throw wthe harder it is. Slow is smooth, smooth is far.
Smooth promotes glide. Glide is extra distance.

Learn to make discs glide and add a little speed. Master glide at that speed and add a little more... etc. etc. etc.

Depending on your skill and patience, you could learn quickly (a month or less) or hit a wall because you aren't patient enough to master each speed progressively.

This approach will serve you in the most important part of disc golf. The short game. Where most rounds are won and lost.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 335 Times in 232 Posts

^Very true - don't muscle it.

You asked for *one* thing. There are a lot of good videos on youtube but the "heavy water bottle" video by loopghost was one that really helped me get headed in the right direction. It'll get you in a proper position to start making the throw more effortless.

Well, here is another 1 thing because nose angle is typically what we all struggle with at first:
So check your nose angle and grip:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ttoripit.shtml

And, watch a lot of youtube videos:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=119328

Keep playin, it'll click
Old 05-04-2017, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 131
Niced 183 Times in 95 Posts

If you have a camera and tripod, or a friend with a smart phone. Record videos of your form and compare them to the excellent videos available. When learning, I'd suggest you copy the form of pro women, because they exaggerate the motions and flow. They also do it a little slower than the guys do, so it's easier to pick up the little things they do to generate smooth power.

It's hard to see the flaws in your own form unless you get other perspectives.

If you could get better players to do this with you, it would help you a lot faster.

Most of all. Have fun. Don't make this game work. You don't want to burn out on something as fun as disc golf.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post

Learn to make discs glide and add a little speed. Master glide at that speed and add a little more... etc. etc. etc.

Depending on your skill and patience, you could learn quickly (a month or less) or hit a wall because you aren't patient enough to master each speed progressively.

This approach will serve you in the most important part of disc golf. The short game. Where most rounds are won and lost.
That's the general consensus I got on Reddit. Slow it down and work on throwing straight. I didn't even think to slow it down. I've just been thinking "how can I get more power" and that's probably the opposite of what I need. Another person I play with who is also new, but probably won't go beyond casual, throws slow and gets a ton of glide. I should have realized this.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:00 AM

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 184
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post

Going with the same concept, start with a mid range. You don't need a destroyer or other high speed disc when you are first learning to throw.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmcdougal View Post
Going with the same concept, start with a mid range. You don't need a destroyer or other high speed disc when you are first learning to throw.
My discs are all lower speed.

175g gold line River
173g supercolor Buzzz
175g classic soft Judge

Niced: (1)