Old 04-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 216 Times in 104 Posts

Can we PLEASE get a Champion or Tour Series Jerm AviarX3!?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-03-2018, 04:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Niced 830 Times in 376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
...The AviarX3 is much more comfortable in the hand for me than the Aviar3...
Why? How are they different? I've never seen/held an AvX3 so any description is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
...the Pig is better...
did you like the AvX3 at all? Or just prefer the Pig?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
did you like the AvX3 at all? Or just prefer the Pig?
Nah, I was honestly just kidding around. I like Pigs a lot, but I haven't tried the AvX3. Pigs can be purchased from the factory store in "Stiff Pro" plastic though, which I love and nothing else comes in as far as I know other than Rhynos, so there's that.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Why? How are they different? I've never seen/held an AvX3 so any description is appreciated.
The AviarX3 is more shallow than the (to me) deep-feeling Aviar3. Also, the Rat flies similarly to the AviarX3 but is even more shallow and comfortable to grip in my paws.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 536 Times in 343 Posts

Quote:
The AviarX3 is more shallow than the (to me) deep-feeling Aviar3. Also, the Rat flies similarly to the AviarX3 but is even more shallow and comfortable to grip in my paws.
Currently looking at the AviarX3 (and possibly the Rat) as a slower replacement for the Zone.

Basically I'm trying to figure out the absolute best FH chip shot disc that combines stability and comfort for flicks with a slow flight.

There's always the Zone, who's shallow, aggressive profile makes for extremely comfortable, consistent flicks, but is a tad fast.

I have Harps too, which I consider to maybe be a tad slower due to the slightly higher profile (have yet to really test side by side). I also like BT Hard plastic, which is a big benefit. They are a little less comfy in hand due to the higher, beaded profile, but this isn't saying much when compared to the Zone.

I messed around with a flattish, beat up DX Rhyno yesterday, and when I could get it to come out smooth (75% of the time) it flicked real nice, if only a tad lacking in LSS due to its condition. The 25% of the time it came out with wobble, it turned over unacceptably. Would consider hunting down a stack of fresh DX Rhynos the flattest I could find, or throw my CFR glow champ rhino. Love the speed, not in love with the difficulty I could potentially have finding good replacements, not sure if I want to work on the consistency of flick.

Slammer seems like a potential candidate - are they a little more shallow than a Harp? I understand that they are a little higher than a Zone maybe, but again that's not saying much. I like the thumbtrack but I can't be certain that that's not what's causing inconsistencies with the Rhyno. Caltrop is similar but deeper dish as I understand it and I figure not as flickable.

AviarX3 seems like a good candidate as it is apparently a little slower than the above options. I tried FHing my DX Aviar3 and it was yucky, wobbled and turned over like it was nothing. I figure with the beefier shoulder of the AX3 and the bump in stability it might be what I'm looking for.

Finally, the Rat is worthy of consideration, but sounds like it's a bit faster than what I'm looking for and apparently not particularly HSS.

Thoughts? ...
Old 05-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 960 Times in 526 Posts

^^Take a look at a K1 Berg. Slow, HSS and nice for flicks. Definitely feel one up before purchasing, they have a funky shape.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Currently looking at the AviarX3 (and possibly the Rat) as a slower replacement for the Zone.

Basically I'm trying to figure out the absolute best FH chip shot disc that combines stability and comfort for flicks with a slow flight.

There's always the Zone, who's shallow, aggressive profile makes for extremely comfortable, consistent flicks, but is a tad fast.

I have Harps too, which I consider to maybe be a tad slower due to the slightly higher profile (have yet to really test side by side). I also like BT Hard plastic, which is a big benefit. They are a little less comfy in hand due to the higher, beaded profile, but this isn't saying much when compared to the Zone.

I messed around with a flattish, beat up DX Rhyno yesterday, and when I could get it to come out smooth (75% of the time) it flicked real nice, if only a tad lacking in LSS due to its condition. The 25% of the time it came out with wobble, it turned over unacceptably. Would consider hunting down a stack of fresh DX Rhynos the flattest I could find, or throw my CFR glow champ rhino. Love the speed, not in love with the difficulty I could potentially have finding good replacements, not sure if I want to work on the consistency of flick.

Slammer seems like a potential candidate - are they a little more shallow than a Harp? I understand that they are a little higher than a Zone maybe, but again that's not saying much. I like the thumbtrack but I can't be certain that that's not what's causing inconsistencies with the Rhyno. Caltrop is similar but deeper dish as I understand it and I figure not as flickable.

AviarX3 seems like a good candidate as it is apparently a little slower than the above options. I tried FHing my DX Aviar3 and it was yucky, wobbled and turned over like it was nothing. I figure with the beefier shoulder of the AX3 and the bump in stability it might be what I'm looking for.

Finally, the Rat is worthy of consideration, but sounds like it's a bit faster than what I'm looking for and apparently not particularly HSS.

Thoughts? ...
I don't throw a lot of forehands, but when I do it's with the Harp, AviarX3, or Panther for approaches. I've done fairly well with the Harp. If I put the Rat in my bag and tried it, I think it would FH pretty well, also. I can't speak for how the Caltrop or Rhyno do for forehands.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
I don't throw a lot of forehands, but when I do it's with the Harp, AviarX3, or Panther for approaches. I've done fairly well with the Harp. If I put the Rat in my bag and tried it, I think it would FH pretty well, also. I can't speak for how the Caltrop or Rhyno do for forehands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
snip.
So I actually went out and picked up an AX3 and surprisingly
an opto caltrop.

The AX3 seems pretty dope, and is actually a little deeper than one might expect considering the 3-top. Beefy upper wing with a decent sized radius (not sharp angle on top) that transitions into a slight puddle top.

Had a look at a slammer and figured it was basically a thumbtrack harp, which is pretty cool but why reinvent the harp wheel. Would not mind trying it some time.

The caltrop I figured I'd try because I thought to myself, maybe the rhyno would come out more smooth if only it lacked a bead. I have never tried a pig but I am not a fan of either R-Pro or hunting down limited release discs

I put both of them through their paces on short FH ups - caltrop came out wobbly more often than the AX3, but slightly less often than the rhyno (maybe) and had the stability to eat up some of the wobble while never flipping. Slow putter which was maybe affected by the breeze slightly more, can't say exactly why.

AX3 came out more smoothly. It has more distance potential I think, which is a secondary benefit but potentially appreciated. I got very little skips with either of these FH, maybe the AX3 skipped a little more. On a backhand up, the AX3 skipped significantly while the caltrop hit and died - could be a fluke.

I found myself thinking that it would be nice if the AX3 was a tad more shallow, so I need to test the zone (JB and ESP) alongside it some time in the future, and also try that champ glow rhyno I mentioned.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Missed the 5 min timer, so f/u question here - are the production stamped AX3s any different typically than protostars?

Old 05-04-2018, 06:56 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I found myself thinking that it would be nice if the AX3 was a tad more shallow
The name of that disc is the "Rat". I found my Rat to be very similar in flight to the AviarX3, but the Rat is a more shallow disc. See if you can find a Rat and see how it feels in your paws...