Old 02-27-2018, 10:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 3
Niced 69 Times in 45 Posts
Default 2018 Lucas Form

It's been awhile. Definitely throwing harder, just by the fact I'm finally flipping a pre-avery star destroyer. I've made some off-arm progress and footwork progress but still not at maximum distance, held back by low-key rounding and bending brace leg and timing issues. Getting some knee soreness too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hxcN7bJXmw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zufkQe87ekE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNubWtM9R2A
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2018, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

You're shifting from "in front" on both of your throw styles. In the BH you can see it because you reach max reachback before your front leg has touched down. Then your upper arm collapses slightly at the shoulder. If you do the door frame drill you should be able to load/turn back the upper body into the rear hip deeper and deeper as the front toes are about to touch down. Also then your left side kind of fires around "in front" and that's why you get jammed up on the front leg/hip and likely causes the knee issues.

In the FH you can see there's no hip setting up for a "shift from behind" and you just fire the right/rear hip in front and around the left/plant leg. There isn't the counterweight behind your spine to leverage the disc through the hit point. You just spin forward around the plant.

This video really helped me for FH. Try to mimic it exactly, how he sets up his hips to get leverage in the downward swing through the log. Have a disc or something short and heavy in your hand like a wrench. Feel the leverage from rear hip directly through the log. Gravity will help you out, and you can then adjust planes to a more normal FH shot.

When you feel this shift/connection in either FH or BH it should be much more intuitive to incorporate it into your other form. It's why all the top pro's can bomb both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UqQZylULio

Niced: (1)
Old 02-28-2018, 03:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,899 Times in 1,770 Posts

^ Yeah, definitely BH you are spinning out your front side/foot/hip open before your weight goes to it. Throw some from the Open to Closed Swing Drill:

FH your elbow is awfully low/close to your body at release/t-rex arm. Need to relax/loosen up your arm some and swing more/extend the release away from your body. It's harder to lead the elbow forward with a low elbow and also a shorter lever. In the backswing you are really using your arm to bring the disc back instead of using your body/hips/shoulders to swing the arm/disc back loaded like a hammer like in Farm Hammer video above.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Eagle Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=galKfi8FqRI
Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Nice that's more from behind. Better axis.

I think your stride is too long. You get to max reachback and are then tipping/waiting to land on the front leg. It's hard for me to tell from the back view but it seems to be that you're trying to go way too far to the plant so that's what that delay and extended pause is from, from full backswing to heel-down. You should be able to easily get on top of the plant leg and drive into it. It will also help you stay closed later with a shorter stride.

Your balance in the upper body is a bit off, as your spine doesn't seem fully aligned in the follow through. But I would look at plant/overall stride length as that may be all it takes. I'm sure SW can spot more from this.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Eagle Member

Thanks slowplastic. Do you have any recommendations for a soda can substitute? My family never buys soda.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah somewhat better. Rear foot is turned too much toward target in x-step, and looks like your front femur starts turning open before your weight shifts into it fully from behind/closed. Your real whip is directed to the right quite a bit with shoulder open and elbow coming across in front of you/rounding and can't even see the disc at release. Need to start extending the lower arm/elbow with closed shoulder so the disc arcs out toward the left side more/wider away from you to the side of the tee.

Toss a hammer straight or swing it out slow and feel leverage on it. You should find that you are way to open to toss the hammer straight and need to close up your body more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s
Old 03-01-2018, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgg View Post
Thanks slowplastic. Do you have any recommendations for a soda can substitute? My family never buys soda.
Beer cans, cigarette packs, small cardboard box...etc anything.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgg View Post
I'd maybe look more at standstill so you get the feel of staying closed, and the advice above in SW's post. Having the feeling of staying closed, especially from standstill, should help eliminate your wanting of a long step and to open up. At least if that does happen you'll be able to identify right away that you are opening up compared to standstill with something heavy.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Eagle Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Jxv-PfIb0