Old 08-27-2019, 01:55 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,582 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Does anyone knew the financial status/worth of Nantucket Disc Golf?
I'd be happy if I just knew what Nantucket Disc Golf was.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2019, 01:57 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 458 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I'd be happy if I just knew what Nantucket Disc Golf was.
There once was a course in Nantucket
With a disc so smooth you’d just chuck it...

Old 08-27-2019, 02:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 540 Times in 292 Posts

No jokes made yet about a dude named "Rainwater" taking over and hiring a guy named "spring"?

Color me surprised lol

**Or just veeeerrrryyyy easily amused**

Old 08-27-2019, 02:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,738 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
No jokes made yet about a dude named "Rainwater" taking over and hiring a guy named "spring"?

Color me surprised lol

Also worth mentioning is the guy selling and leaving is named Dodge.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 231
Niced 82 Times in 32 Posts

Reposting from my FB page. This is why I think this is a pretty big deal.

Todd Rainwater, the individual who purchased the DGPT, is a billionaire(*). At the same time, he is also an actual, active disc golfer (#57622). He is the person behind the the Nantucket Disc Golf Open. It is an event that pros talk about as a destination event. They make a point to play in it because the people that run it (Todd & crew) go way beyond normal requirements to wine and dine the players. This is a person who loves disc golf, and loves professional disc golf.

Second, the first thing he does is employ Jeff Spring as the CEO for the venture. Jeff is well liked and has experience. He was the TD for the 2018 Pro Worlds and 2019 Pro Master Worlds. To be a TD, for worlds, 2 years in a row, this guy is a working class dog. In addition, although he lives in VT, he was the TD for the Portland (OR, not ME) Open this year. The dude organized and ran a tournament 3,000 miles from home. As a TD myself, that is insane.

I don't think someone like Todd purchases the DGPT to bleed it dry or to have it as a side hobby only barely nurturing it along. I also don't think he's stupid enough to throw an absurd amount of money at it either. I do think he will invest into it an amount that is reasonable to him, quite a lot to the rest of us, and more than what I think Steve Dodge was able to gather on his own.

I also think, unlike a company investor such as Nike, Adidas, beverages, etc., that he may be more willing to have a long term look and not necessarily be expecting immediate revenue or income from it. I think he will be more willing to continue to invest in it hoping that some day it will actually become a thing, rather then a company expecting an immediate ROI or they cut bait.

--
* I guess it is a presumption on my part that he is a billionaire. His dad's net worth at his death was $3 Billion (August 2015). In searches, I've seen donations of $10 and $100 Million. While it may be that his son(s) don't inherit all of it, but even if they get 10%, that's still a lot of money - $300 million lots of money.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 82
Niced 40 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
In addition, although he lives in VT, he was the TD for the Portland (OR, not ME) Open this year. The dude organized and ran a tournament 3,000 miles from home. As a TD myself, that is insane.
I was a volunteer at The Portland Open this year. Jeff was one hard-working, super nice guy as a TD. I met Steve there, too. He took time to visit with all the volunteers and did some sign carrying and other things himself. I have nothing but positive things to say about both of them from what I saw at the tournament.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,370 Times in 2,306 Posts

Old 08-27-2019, 06:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 1,989 Times in 1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
Reposting from my FB page. This is why I think this is a pretty big deal.

Todd Rainwater, the individual who purchased the DGPT, is a billionaire(*). At the same time, he is also an actual, active disc golfer (#57622). He is the person behind the the Nantucket Disc Golf Open. It is an event that pros talk about as a destination event. They make a point to play in it because the people that run it (Todd & crew) go way beyond normal requirements to wine and dine the players. This is a person who loves disc golf, and loves professional disc golf.

Second, the first thing he does is employ Jeff Spring as the CEO for the venture. Jeff is well liked and has experience. He was the TD for the 2018 Pro Worlds and 2019 Pro Master Worlds. To be a TD, for worlds, 2 years in a row, this guy is a working class dog. In addition, although he lives in VT, he was the TD for the Portland (OR, not ME) Open this year. The dude organized and ran a tournament 3,000 miles from home. As a TD myself, that is insane.

I don't think someone like Todd purchases the DGPT to bleed it dry or to have it as a side hobby only barely nurturing it along. I also don't think he's stupid enough to throw an absurd amount of money at it either. I do think he will invest into it an amount that is reasonable to him, quite a lot to the rest of us, and more than what I think Steve Dodge was able to gather on his own.

I also think, unlike a company investor such as Nike, Adidas, beverages, etc., that he may be more willing to have a long term look and not necessarily be expecting immediate revenue or income from it. I think he will be more willing to continue to invest in it hoping that some day it will actually become a thing, rather then a company expecting an immediate ROI or they cut bait.

--
* I guess it is a presumption on my part that he is a billionaire. His dad's net worth at his death was $3 Billion (August 2015). In searches, I've seen donations of $10 and $100 Million. While it may be that his son(s) don't inherit all of it, but even if they get 10%, that's still a lot of money - $300 million lots of money.
rainwater could straight run a monopoly

Old 08-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post

Color me surprised lol

I thought I was gonna be the first one to mention the guys name is rainwater

If it's true that he has money then hopefully he puts it into the DGPT. I don't follow the DGPT that much besides worlds and USDGC. How has it been doing? More events, higher turnouts and bigger payouts every year?