Old 10-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.6
Courses Played: 139
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,004 Times in 436 Posts

The overwhelming issue is there are maybe 3 or 4 places in the world capable of hosting such an event.

Even if you find a place, like Charlotte or Emporia, that have the combination of quality and quantity, there are dozens of other logistical issues such as PDGA staffing, event staffing volunteers and just the totality of the effort in fundraising it would require.

Not to mention a hotel capable of hosting that many people, common venues like field events, finals and players meeting having the ability to host something like that.

The game has grown tremendously since 2012 - and that week was incredibly overwhelming. I can't imagine doing that again on the scale disc golf is currently at.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2019, 03:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,159 Times in 898 Posts

Having been heavily involved in running a "small" (less than 200 people) Major I cannot imagine running a large one.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.6
Courses Played: 361
Niced 104 Times in 53 Posts

Ann Arbor, Michigan in 2000 had both pro/am Worlds the same week.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:42 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,687 Times in 766 Posts

From a practical standpoint, any host team can create and develop a massive event with or without sanctioning and call it the Champions of the Universe or equally lofty title. Throw enough money in there with a solid plan and the courses to go with it and players may eventually come if not necessarily the first year. For example, BG AMs and GBO have become massive without being worlds events. PDGA sanctioning can help logistically to handle some functions but all big events require lots of logistical elements working together at the local level to be successful with or without PDGA help.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.6
Courses Played: 139
Niced 1,004 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
From a practical standpoint, any host team can create and develop a massive event with or without sanctioning and call it the Champions of the Universe or equally lofty title. Throw enough money in there with a solid plan and the courses to go with it and players may eventually come if not necessarily the first year. For example, BG AMs and GBO have become massive without being worlds events. PDGA sanctioning can help logistically to handle some functions but all big events require lots of logistical elements working together at the local level to be successful with or without PDGA help.
If your model is BG Ams, then you have an issue.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:17 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,687 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
If your model is BG Ams, then you have an issue.
Not sure what you're getting at? I'm just talking about the large number of entrants that continue to come and play every year with more divisions contested than any other event than probably GBO. I agree the mechanics of how these events work behind the scenes is quite different between them.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,740 Times in 757 Posts

I don't think it is a matter of...can we. It has been successfully done.

It is really a matter of logistics. There are VERY few places that have the courses, the TD's and volunteers to pull this off. There are few that honestly understand the MASSIVE scope of this kind of endeavor. The planning, the money, the help, the course work, the sponsorship, the political and civic buy-in.....endless.

The second matter is, does anybody want it? I don't. I have zero interest in hosting or helping in any pro event. I have zero interest in playing in any event with pros involved. I like AM Worlds, I am even more interested in an age protected Worlds. Bigger is not better, IMO. There can be much more attention given to me in a smaller Worlds. Better resources, better spotting, I would likely play better courses.....

Sorry, I am voting NO.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-21-2019, 10:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 758 Times in 367 Posts

Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
The overwhelming issue is there are maybe 3 or 4 places in the world capable of hosting such an event.

Even if you find a place, like Charlotte or Emporia, that have the combination of quality and quantity, there are dozens of other logistical issues such as PDGA staffing, event staffing volunteers and just the totality of the effort in fundraising it would require.

Not to mention a hotel capable of hosting that many people, common venues like field events, finals and players meeting having the ability to host something like that.

The game has grown tremendously since 2012 - and that week was incredibly overwhelming. I can't imagine doing that again on the scale disc golf is currently at.

I think the bigger issue on top of all of this truth, is that it will never have the actual feel of the desired tournament.

You aren't going to get a cozy Pro-Am feel. Look at the size of the MPO, AM1, and MP40 and MA40 fields at their respective worlds then stir in all of the other divisions, and then guess at the increase in attendance (possibly) from other parts of the world if this event were to be as big as this. The likely hood of seeing let alone rubbing elbows with people outside of your division is minuscule. People would be spread all over the place, and you will not have the days gone by party atmosphere as this is freaking huge worlds and people are there to compete.

IF it could get a venue that had enough courses
IF it could jump the logistics hurdles and bring in the requisite multitude of volunteers
IF it could be accomplished as realistically 4 major tournaments all at once

Would it have the feel that would be hoped for for this all encompassing superworlds?

Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,549 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I think the bigger issue on top of all of this truth, is that it will never have the actual feel of the desired tournament.

You aren't going to get a cozy Pro-Am feel. Look at the size of the MPO, AM1, and MP40 and MA40 fields at their respective worlds then stir in all of the other divisions, and then guess at the increase in attendance (possibly) from other parts of the world if this event were to be as big as this. The likely hood of seeing let alone rubbing elbows with people outside of your division is minuscule. People would be spread all over the place, and you will not have the days gone by party atmosphere as this is freaking huge worlds and people are there to compete.

IF it could get a venue that had enough courses
IF it could jump the logistics hurdles and bring in the requisite multitude of volunteers
IF it could be accomplished as realistically 4 major tournaments all at once

Would it have the feel that would be hoped for for this all encompassing superworlds?
You'd get some of that feel.

Not during play, of course, and depending on what you participated in. I was at Charlotte (1100 players), and stayed in the host hotel. That's being immersed in disc golfers, from everywhere, each with their own stories. In the elevators and lobby, at restaurants, at the banquet and meetings. I didn't go to the field events or parties, but joined the gallery watching the pros on an afternoon when I didn't have a round scheduled. Familiar faces I hadn't seen in years, and lots of new ones.

But......that's a minor benefit, not worth the trade-offs involved in putting on such an event.