Old 11-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Big Guns vs. Little Guns

I know there is a lot of players out there who like to continue progressing in the speeds of the discs they are throwing, as discs at high speeds can pull off some amazing distance shots.

On the other hand, I have been really discing down my game lately for more control rather than distance. I am still able to bomb these discs, but gripping them and controlling them seems much easier. Don't get me wrong, I like some speed in the bag, but does anyone else go through the same evolution of disc selection?

For example:

Old goto drivers:
Wraith, Destroyer, X-caliber, Boss, Monster

New goto drivers:
Teebird, Eagle, Valkyrie, Banshee, SurgeSS Z, esp flash
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 80
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

When I first started getting good my disc golf mentor (NT Champ, 2x U.S. putting champ) had me throw nothing but fairway drivers for big distance shots, mids where I though I should throw fairways, and putters where I thought I should throw mids. My rating has went up 50 points in less than one year.

Nothing but good can from discing down.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm back and forth. I agree with discing down, but there is a time when you need to grab a wider rim driver and learn how to grip it and keep the nose way down. You can learn to control OAT and such with putters and mids, but still need to use drivers to learn nose down. Plus there is the grip adjustment.

So when I say I'm back and forth, I mean it not from a point of indecision, but that I use slow discs (speed 7 max and alot of driving with mids), make some type of notable improvement after a given period of time, then go to a fast driver (Surge, Wraith, Destroyer) and see gains once I get comfortable with it.

But with colder weather and some notable form issues creeping back in, I'm not throwing anything faster than speed 9 until next spring. But I've already gotten my PDs almost as far as my Destroyers with less wild throws.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

^^ just stopped by my home course because I was in the area. I only had putters in my vehicle so I picked 3 and played a round. It's gonna make me rethink shot selection next time because I was wearing jeans and still reaching the baskets with my putters. Forget putting away the drivers, I might put away the midranges too!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 241
Niced 59 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarikc17 View Post
When I first started getting good my disc golf mentor (NT Champ, 2x U.S. putting champ) had me throw nothing but fairway drivers for big distance shots, mids where I though I should throw fairways, and putters where I thought I should throw mids. My rating has went up 50 points in less than one year.

Nothing but good can from discing down.
You mean Chainbanger'z Disc Golf Shop sponsered player Kyle Crabtree?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Huge fan of the Star Echo Boss. I can put medium too heavy snap on the disc, and it still responds very nicely. What's funner than bombing a Z nuke right? I can grip these larger rim discs, but finding the time to use them is not as open in comparison to the lower speed drivers. On shots that I feel I can play the wind, I pull out discs like the boss that I know can surf the gust looking for the big shot to drop. But for all intensive purposes, it's pretty tough to mess with precision of a champion Teebird.