Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Johnson's bag, lay it on me Brother D.

Ok, I'm still somewhat new to the sport going on three years, so please be critical and tell me how off base I am. I'm definitely not a power thrower, 5' 11" 160 lbs. I throw most drivers somewhere in the 300'+ range and have pushed my lighter drivers to around 350' a handful of times. RHBH for almost all shots.

Here's da bag.

Distance drivers:
-165 Champ Starfire, primary disc off the tee, beat into super straight, stable enough to flex and come back, pushing it roughly 300'.
-167 first run pro Katana, when I can't get there with my starfire, more squirrely but about 30' longer, 9/10 times I can make it go nice and straight and have it finish left.
-166 ESP ASS, long shots that must finish right. 300'ish.
-150 valkyrie, big overlap with ASS, I know, but I use it for standstill get out of trouble shots, tunnel shots, and if I have a wide open 700' hole it's the only driver I've pushed over 350' multiple times.
-150 Z Flick, mad overstable, utilities.

Fairways:
-175 Champ Eagle X, straight, finish left.
-168 Champ Leopard, straight, finish slightly left or right.

Midranges:
-173 KC Pro Roc straight, float gently left.
-173 Aftershock, straighter than the Roc, more glide, more distance, less fade, the workhorse.
-Being more a finesse thrower I'm attempting to fill my understable mid gap with a fuse, literally just pulled the trigger on ordering one.170 GL.

Putters:
-172 Ridge for drives and windy days.
-172 Magic, 50' and in.
-144 Aotearoa Tui, probably gonna get heat for this one, when my mobility is limited or I'm feeling frisky at around 80', floats effortlessly, has 250' range.

Thanks for taking the time to go though all that, any input is more than welcome, cheers.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,281 Times in 1,065 Posts

I'd probably drop the Starfire for an Eagle in the same weight, drop the Katana b/c it's fool's gold, possibly drop the ASS for a Valk of the same weight or drop it altogether and learn to push the Leopard farther.

I'd just drop the Roc for new, heavy Aftershock. I'm not a big fan of "wind" mids, I'd rather power down a Banshee or xXx if I absolutely can't put enough hyzer to get my overstable-stable mid to do it. Good call on the Fuse, that should be an excellent compliment to the Aftershock. A 170 GL will be very Comet-like.

Putters are cool, depending on the course I'll keep a lid on me for exactly the same reasons you keep the Tui. I will say that a really light Magic is awesomely floaty and might make a good replacement if you want to reduce molds.

Bottom line: You've got a lot of distance molds that aren't really doing you any favors probably. I'd concentrate with a couple of Eagles and a couple of Leos and just keep the Valk as the super flippy/tailwind driver. You'd be surprised how much D you can get with a 160s beat in S. EX. Keep the Starfire if that's a FH disc though.

Pretty sweet bag though.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks much for the feedback sir. Although it probably is too fast for me, I don't know if I have the heart to ever pull out my starfire. It was my first ace disc and I dyed it, plus it's scary straight and it does do pretty well forehand.

Anyone else? I'm welcome to any feedback
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like the asian theme going on here. bag looks good after you do what bro D said.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 92
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to hedfan1

I'm asian under this mask but you cant tell.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 85 Times in 58 Posts

don't be ashamed of your lid! I would carry a lid more often if it would only fit in the old bag right. we should all carry lids with us if but for only as a reminder.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedfan1 View Post
I'm asian under this mask but you cant tell.
I could tell by that Cantonese accent
Old 01-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 92
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to hedfan1

I could post up about your bag but you already know my opinion and I guess my opinion isn't good enough

When spring rolls around let's get out there and through 9 holes with one disc at a time. You'll learn real quick what can stay and what SHOULD go.

12 Disc's
12 Rounds
108 Holes
Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Refreshing to see another bag that doesn't conform to the "max weight" ideology.
Not a bad setup. The Katana doesn't look necessary. Unless you can accurately place the extra 30 feet it gets you, it isn't reducing strokes.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,281 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedfan1 View Post
I could post up about your bag but you already know my opinion and I guess my opinion isn't good enough

When spring rolls around let's get out there and through 9 holes with one disc at a time. You'll learn real quick what can stay and what SHOULD go.

12 Disc's
12 Rounds
108 Holes
This is more easily achieved in a field. Take all your discs and just start flinging them out there. A lot of times, you'll find that your super duper distance driver is only beating out your slower stuff by like 10' average. That's one of the undeniable benefits of field practice.

And lids are awesome. I keep one handy for some pre-round catch to warm up (Super Hero) or if a little kid comes along and wants to try to play with me (Polecat) cuz I'm coolz like dat.