Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 16
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts
Default Jackal vs River....

Just wanted to hear thoughts from anyone that has thrown both. Similarities and differences beteen the two molds. Currently I bag the River as my understable/stable fairway. I keep a heavy Opto for straight/stable shots and a light Goldline for turnover/flippy shots. I really like that combo as I get those nice long and straight drives from the Opto when thrown flat, as well as smooth turnover drives from the flat 165g GL. The only thing I don't care for is how the Opto doesn't hold up into the wind. I just don't trust it driving into any moderate headwinds, esprecially since usually I'm trying to throw it straight.

Anyways I just ordered myself a pair of red S-line Jackals, one 172g and the other 175g. Gonna give them a shot when they come in. Just wanted to know how they compare with the River, a disc that I know and throw fairly well. I did browse the Jackal thread, just wanted to get a little more in depth comparisons between the two since they seem similar on paper.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

Rivers do get a bit squirrely in a head wind...the FD will not. At least mine doesn't. The FD doesn't have quite as much glide, either. I like both and carry both at all times now.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultx1215 View Post
Rivers do get a bit squirrely in a head wind...the FD will not. At least mine doesn't. The FD doesn't have quite as much glide, either. I like both and carry both at all times now.
What weight/plastic type is your River you carry? Wondering what type of shots or situaions you would use the FD over the River?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 171 and a 175, the 171 is a hyzer-flip to a buttery turn everytime. The 175 is significantly more stable and handles the wind suprisigly well where my river's wouldn't. The rivers are easy to get good d with but the FD is easier to control how far you go.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 23
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
What weight/plastic type is your River you carry? Wondering what type of shots or situaions you would use the FD over the River?
I pretty much only used the Rivers on open holes where they could work. Now that they are breaking in, they can be used most anywhere. I have one of each River, but carry a 172 GL and a 168 TR. The TR gets more action most days. Its breaking in nicely. It will go where you throw it, but you still have to work on it to shape decent lines. The FD, on the other hand, will shape most any line with little effort. As long as it isn't too windy, the River will beat the FD for distance. Add wind and the FD will win easily. The FD is just easier all around to throw compared to the Rivers. If I could get a P-FD, I would bet the Rivers would lose all around and might even get left at home.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

im liking these comparisons, me and the river never seemed to click too well, the leopards won that spot in the bag. i have a sfd now and cannot wait to get out to try it out. Maybe then ill get rid of the rivers for good, i think I'm holding on to them so that one day they will magically work for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 30
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Jackal vs River....
Jackal drowns in the River.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would compare an FD to a more stable river, but I think the FD handles power better than the river due to it's higher hss. I've been throwing rivers for a while now and I don't think of them as a work horse fairway driver because of how poor they perform in the wind. They are more of a turnover, hyzer flipper driver than anything else. The FD on the other hand requires more commitment to get a big anny out of it. I also think the FD is a more forgiving disc. FD's are awesome at tight s-shots as well from a flat release to slight hyzer depending on power levels. The river is a great driver for that late turnover, or very sharp shorter turnovers, but the FD is a better all around fairway driver, IMO. As far as glide goes, the FD has just as much glide as a river.

Rivers are magical discs when the wind isn't blowing, but when it is, they are essentially useless in anything other than a tailwind. The FD can handle crosswinds decently well and handle mild headwinds also.

On a related note, I've got a couple 165g rivers I no longer need.....
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming everyone! So far it sounds like the River is more understable than the FD. I really don't want to keep both molds in the bag, so I need to pick one. My biggest concern with taking out my Rivers will be missing my light, flippy GL. I use that River the most, as I carry PD's so they end up taking a lot of shots away from the Opto.

Anyone notice significant differences in flight between light/heavy weight FD's?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 177
Niced 121 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Anyone notice significant differences in flight between light/heavy weight FD's?
On this note, I will throw this back out there, heavy Rivers are almost a completely different disc from light Rivers. Heavy Rivers have consider HSS for an understable fairway driver. I prefer 176+ and above because they can take a little mustard and stay under control. They excel on wooded courses with tight windows or when you need long, slow hyzers in the open field. I agree they may not be a workhouse on open courses, but if you need to shape lines, heavy Rivers are awesome.

This is not taking away from what Jackals may be capable of, but if you are going to compare the two, keep in mind that in the Rivers there is a huge difference in performance based upon weight.