Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Fairway feedback

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 1.5years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some OH, working in some fh
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 200/225; Roc: 240/260; Teebird: 270/300

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175DX Teebird, (beat) - main driver, thumbers
171 Champystar Eagle-X Plus (new) - forehands, windy hyzers
175 River, (used) - not seeing a lot of action
168 X Predator, (new) - skip shots, some fh

Mids:
180 KC Roc (new) - my overstable and forehand mid
177 X Comet (used) - hyzer flip, turnover, annys
180 Glow Roc (used) - stable mid

Putters:
175 S wizard (beat)- main putter and driving.

Where I'm looking for most help is in the fairway and putter categories. My mid range game is strong so I'm not too worried there. As far as putters is like to switch to judges as they seem a little shallower an I feel I could get a cleaner release than my wizard. Also thinking of adding a basic and premium jokeri for driving putte purposes but wondering if I could cover all putter range shots with a beat basic and new premium. Also wondering if the jokeri would overlap too much with my rocs since they are fast for a putter. The other thing I'm curious about is how the FD flies. My teebird is so beat from overhand shots an I love where it's at. Just enough turn to flip from a slight hyzer as enough stability not to turn over. Is this what a 170-175 C-line FD is like? I'd like to get rid of the eagle and order a heavy champ glo teebird for that slot just to cut down on molds. The river seems too big in diameter for me to feel comfortable driving it. Could I cover all my shots with a new champ glo teebird, c-line FD and 166-68 S-line FD? Would the light FD be good for turnover and anny shots? Any feedback is welcome and appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure on the FDs as I don't throw any Discmania, but I switched from fighting between the Wizard and Ion and went to Classic Judges and they aren't clicking with me. I seem to aim either high or low much more often w/them than my other putters and if I hit metal and there is any sort of incline, expect a long toll. I'm thinking of trying Zero Hard Pures or Discraft Ringers next.

IIRC the Eagle uses a bit more side to side than the Teebird, which is more straight then fade. As long as the disc will end up in about the same spot, I don't see why a Champ Teebird couldn't cover for that Eagle.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

give a patriot a look. should compliment the glow teebird well if you get one. they are available in inon(star) and now pinnacle(champ ish) great control driver can hold a ton of lines.

Putters are all about feel. Its personal and any opinions can only be taken from their or your perspective. inside 30 all putters fly almost the same. Do you want a putter mold with a ton of plastic options to fill different roles? More than one putter mold. Premium plastic putters take a bit to get used to no matter who makes it. Putting is not about which disc, its the ARCHER not the ARROW when it comes to putting.

i am rocking the judge for my putting putter, and anodes off the tee. i could easily switch out the judges and carry only anodes, but i prefer the base plastic feel of the judge and the grip on it is natural to me.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

For Putters:
Go with what is comfortable. Nothing is more individualistic than putting in this game. Go with what feels comfortable, flies reliable, and makes you confident.

For Fairways:
I would just go with a Teebird cycle. Get a Champ/Star (or both) and a fresh DX to go with your beat DX. Until that beat DX gets flippy, your probably do want something more understable... and since the River is uncomfortable, I'd recommend the classic DX Leopard.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Just throw all Leopards for your main Fairways and then have a beefy Banshee or Trident for Windy days and Utilities.

That's what I like to do.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Don't drive with the same putter you putt with. Have a main putter for just putting (& a backup if you want) & use a different putter if for driving ( I recommend multiple different putters for different lines).
Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 64
Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
Don't drive with the same putter you putt with...
Why not?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 13
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolae View Post
Why not?
I'm also curious as to why not?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolae View Post
Why not?
It beats in your putter faster so it flight characteristics change WAY quicker than if you just putt with it, if you throw your putting putter on a drive & lose it you just lost the most important disc in your bag, going along with it getting beat in faster not driving with your putting putter makes your putting game more consistent (consistence is key especially in putting). Also if you hit something when you drive with your putter it can chip/warp your disc which will screw up your putting (this won't happen if you just putt with it). I even go as far as not approaching with my putting putter when I layup to minimize the wear n tear on it.

Last edited by DiscinFiend; 07-06-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah you do not want to Drive with your putting putter.

I use Pures,but I also have 2 Opto's and a Soft for Drives.

Now me I don't like using a Zero Line Hard or KC Pro type plastic for driving. The Champion/Star beats up nicely and it will either Drive really straight or give you a good putting driver that you can work lines with. The Soft plastic is mainly used for approaches and a Turnover Driver. The Softer plastic beats in a bit better to me and fits this role pretty good.