Old 11-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.5
Courses Played: 39
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Austin, TX in early Jan

I'll be heading into Austin again this year for my company's annual kickoff meeting. Usually, we start on Monday, have activities scheduled non-stop for a couple of days, then fly out again, so I've never had a chance to play any of the Austin area courses. This time, though, they're having us fly in on Saturday and starting the meetings on Sunday. So I'll have the option of flying in early enough on Saturday to get a round or two in. I'll be flying into ABIA, and will be staying at the new conference center on the UT campus. I probably won't have a company-paid rental car, so I'd either need to use public transportation, rent a car out of my own pocket, or possibly get my much younger cousin who's a student at UT to haul me around. Saturday between the time I arrive and dark will probably be the only free time I'll have.

I'm an old noodle-armed guy, and prefer technical courses over wide-open distance fests.

Given that info and those constraints, any suggestions on which courses I should try to hit?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pease Park and Zilker Park are going to be your two closest options from the UT campus. You should even be able to walk to Pease if you don't have any wheels. Pease is probably the most well known course (ie. high traffic) in town and is pretty challenging, but long in parts. Zilker is a short pitch & putt.

If you have the time and the wheels, I'd highly recommend Circle C. It's the most complete course in town. Dual concrete tees and signs. Beautiful scenery. It's got it all and then some.

If you are looking for the toughest, most technical course in town you might want to try Austin Ridge Bible Church. It's brand spankin' new and likes to spank... uber technical. It's set on some great land (I think close to 80 acres) w/ tons of elevation, but hard to navigate.

If you'd like a guide (or a ride) shoot me a pm. If I'm not out of town for work, I'd be more than happy to show you around.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38
Courses Played: 119
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Anyone going to Austin should try to play Houck's courses southwest of town.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=664
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=612
Theses courses are, hands down, the best in the area.

Your transportation and time constraints certainly make it more difficult, but they are well worth the effort. And if you're truly that noodly in the arm, they have 3 sets of tees on every hole, and the Red play just as lovely as the White or Blue.

However, these courses are only open occasionally. As the course pages say: Check the website or call/write to see if the courses will be open when you are there.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 28
Niced 49 Times in 30 Posts

The MetCenter is a new course about 5 miles from the airport on your way into town that you could hit up. It has a lot of technical holes, some of which have some pretty good length on them, but there are dual concrete tees that can help you cut down the length on a lot of the holes. One bad thing about it is that the course is always muddy along the creek and in a few low lying areas so bring an extra pair of shoes that you don't mind getting mud on.

You'll probably want to get some lunch before your next round so I'd head on into town where's there's lots of eating options and Pease Park. There's this nice bar/grill across from Pease Park at 12th and Lamar called The Tavern that has a killer Philly Cheese-steak sandwich and some good beers on tap.

Frizzle, how did you like that new church course? Anything you can compare it to?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
[URL="http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3631&mode=ci"]Frizzle, how did you like that new church course? Anything you can compare it to?
Oh, man. I am really having a hard time thinking of a similar course. I really, really like it a lot. I've only gotten to play the first 12 holes two diff times. It reminds me a little of Circle R in Wimberly, but MUCH, MUCH more difficult. It is still super new and IMO needs a little trimming in a few spots. It is long and uber technical.... hands down the toughest course I've ever played. Lots of blind baskets from the tees. Hard to navigate (and I rarely haver a hard time navigating a course for the 1st time 'round). They do have maps in the main office of the church which help immensely (I left mine in the car on accident 'cause I got so excited when I got there)

Hole 12 has the one of the best views (if not the best...2nd only to #18 on the Hill course @ Circle R) off the tee in Texas disc golf. Sadly though, I was talking to a dude that mentioned they might have to take that hole out b/c it bombs onto another fairway and could be very dangerous. Hopefully they can work something out to keep that hole.

I'm gunna be out of town this weekend, but maybe we could try to play the following weekend. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you have the chance.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIZZLE TOSSLER View Post
It is long and uber technical.... hands down the toughest course I've ever played.
Wow, harder than East Metro?! Hands down?!?!? Oh my, that sounds...impossible, but I'm always up for a good challenge....I think.

Quote:
I'm gunna be out of town this weekend, but maybe we could try to play the following weekend. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you have the chance.
I'd be down. I'll toss you a PM next week to arrange a time.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

I played that new church course this weekend and it rocked me pretty hard. Some of the holes just seem to go on forever, especially considering how tight the fairways are on some of these 600'+ holes. If you thought the view at 12 is good, you should play the alternate holes. The view from A's pin or B's teebox is simply spectacular and B's hole is a much steeper incline than 12.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 123
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIZZLE TOSSLER View Post
Oh, man. I am really having a hard time thinking of a similar course. I really, really like it a lot. I've only gotten to play the first 12 holes two diff times. It reminds me a little of Circle R in Wimberly, but MUCH, MUCH more difficult. It is still super new and IMO needs a little trimming in a few spots. It is long and uber technical.... hands down the toughest course I've ever played. Lots of blind baskets from the tees. Hard to navigate (and I rarely haver a hard time navigating a course for the 1st time 'round). They do have maps in the main office of the church which help immensely (I left mine in the car on accident 'cause I got so excited when I got there)

Hole 12 has the one of the best views (if not the best...2nd only to #18 on the Hill course @ Circle R) off the tee in Texas disc golf. Sadly though, I was talking to a dude that mentioned they might have to take that hole out b/c it bombs onto another fairway and could be very dangerous. Hopefully they can work something out to keep that hole.

Harder than Manor and even the Gold course Olse built in Corpus?

Sounds like I need to play it and Met center next time I'm in town.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 61
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot_er View Post
Harder than Manor and even the Gold course Olse built in Corpus?

Sounds like I need to play it and Met center next time I'm in town.
What course in corpus are you talking about?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 123
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampy1 View Post
What course in corpus are you talking about?
It is actually in Ingleside where there was already a Pitch and putt. Didn't get to play it yet but Olse says it is tougher than Manor.