#11  
Old 11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
chainedwraith chainedwraith is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 137
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 217
Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Unless you're playing in the tournaments, the trick is to get on the course on one of the practice days, or finagle a chance early or late on a tournament day (if possible).
I second this.. On those 2 weekends in January, this will be the hands-down best DG course in Florid--, I mean, the lower southeastern US.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
thrembo's Avatar
thrembo thrembo is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Floriduh
Years Playing: 44.6
Courses Played: 193
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,583
Niced 514 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Medard and Taylor are my favorite Tampa area courses. There are several good courses in the area. Tocobaga is an interesting and popular course, but may require a guide the 1st time through. I haven't played it in a little while though, so the navigation issues might be resolved.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Dave242's Avatar
Dave242 Dave242 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,508
Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Hands down the best course I have played in FL (have only played 11 on the west side and 2 on the east), is Magnolia in Live Oak. It is my favorite (highest rated) flat course I have played and is #10 on my list of around 375 courses played.

....and that is just the course as I do not rate amenities and ambiance and intangibles. This course is in a very cool hippy/folksy music festival venue. Restaurant and shops right at hole #1. Magnolia is the most under-rated and under-appreciated course on DGCR.

FWIW, here are my ratings (grades) for FL courses:
96 Magnolia DGC
89 North East Coachman Park
89 Tocobaga DGC
88 Cliff Stephens Park
87 Tuscawilla Park
87 North Water Tower Park
87 Lakeview Park
86 Ocala Greenway DGC
86 Bonita Springs Recreation Center
85 Northside Park
84 Ed Austin Park (Fore Palms DGC)
82 N. Ft. Myers Community Park

Caveat: these ratings are 2-8 years old....and with the way things grow in FL, they could be outdated
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM
davmer2303's Avatar
davmer2303 davmer2303 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Seffner, Fl
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,005
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucero 1 View Post
Assuming you have a car to get around, you can do a lot in 10 days if you base your trip around Tampa....

Taylor Park in Largo is a top area course.

Cliff Stevens Park is the home course of the Champ, and you can also play Coachman Park - which is only a 10 minute drive away. You will also be 10 minutes from Clearwater Disc Golf Store, which is a must....

Picnic Island in Tampa is a 9 hole course, but very pretty and well kept.

USF Riverfront Park is a nice course. You are supposed to be a USF student to play it, but as long as you don't act like a fool, I've never seen anyone ask for ID - and I've played it many times.

Meddard Park in Plant City is another course that I would highly recommend, as is arguably the hardest course....but fun.

From Tampa, Orlando is about a 75 minute drive, which opens up even more options!
Great Tampa area list! Throw in Coachman and Tocobaga as well!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Lucero 1's Avatar
Lucero 1 Lucero 1 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tampa Bay
Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 256
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmer2303 View Post
Great Tampa area list! Throw in Coachman and Tocobaga as well!
Coachman is mentioned in the Cliff Stevens part. I actually enjoy playing Coachman more than Cliff, but mainly because I don't throw long....

I've never played Tocobaga. We should go sometime!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Dude's Avatar
Dude Dude is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 258
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks guys. I'll be down there around Christmas time, so I'm stealing ideas from here as well.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 AM
thrembo's Avatar
thrembo thrembo is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Floriduh
Years Playing: 44.6
Courses Played: 193
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,583
Niced 514 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Hands down the best course I have played in FL (have only played 11 on the west side and 2 on the east), is Magnolia in Live Oak. It is my favorite (highest rated) flat course I have played and is #10 on my list of around 375 courses played.

....and that is just the course as I do not rate amenities and ambiance and intangibles. This course is in a very cool hippy/folksy music festival venue. Restaurant and shops right at hole #1. Magnolia is the most under-rated and under-appreciated course on DGCR.

FWIW, here are my ratings (grades) for FL courses:
96 Magnolia DGC
89 North East Coachman Park
89 Tocobaga DGC
88 Cliff Stephens Park
87 Tuscawilla Park
87 North Water Tower Park
87 Lakeview Park
86 Ocala Greenway DGC
86 Bonita Springs Recreation Center
85 Northside Park
84 Ed Austin Park (Fore Palms DGC)
82 N. Ft. Myers Community Park

Caveat: these ratings are 2-8 years old....and with the way things grow in FL, they could be outdated
The North Ft Myers course is getting a makeover, due to a new building at the park. and should be about done. Hopefully it will be an improvement.

The SSP has done a lot of work at the Lakeview course, and it is now my favorite Sarasota area course.

There is a newer course in Estero. The Ft Myers area has needed a modern style course for awhile, and this is probably the best course in that area right now. (I still need to play the new NFM course though)

There is also a new 18 hole course in Venice that's very nice.

We also have a very nice course down here in Port Charlotte. If any of y'all make it down this far, I would be happy to guide you.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-05-2013, 06:24 AM
88weeks's Avatar
88weeks 88weeks is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 210
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Nope. Not at all.

There was once a private course called the Gran Canyon, in an old limestone quarry. It was the best course I ever played, and we'd make the pilgramage from South Carolina almost every January for a tournament there. Last tournament was 2006, and the course closed in 2007 or 2008 (I think).

Last year, Mike Barnett at Sun King Discs got permission to hold 2 tournaments on a re-designed, temporary course on the property. It was the second best course I've ever played.

He's doing it again in January.

Unless you're playing in the tournaments, the trick is to get on the course on one of the practice days, or finagle a chance early or late on a tournament day (if possible).
Where can I get more information on this tournament? I have not seen it listed yet. This is starting to sound like 10 days won't even scratch the surface. So many nice courses.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM
davmer2303's Avatar
davmer2303 davmer2303 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Seffner, Fl
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,005
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucero 1 View Post
Coachman is mentioned in the Cliff Stevens part. I actually enjoy playing Coachman more than Cliff, but mainly because I don't throw long....

I've never played Tocobaga. We should go sometime!
I'm up for that man. It's a very cool course!
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,234
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,535 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88weeks View Post
Where can I get more information on this tournament? I have not seen it listed yet. This is starting to sound like 10 days won't even scratch the surface. So many nice courses.
http://www.delsoldiscgolf.com/Throw_..._Mountain.html

Note that registration is November 11. Last year the Am side filled in less than 90 minutes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DFW in January JTacoma03 Vacations & Road Trips 35 01-10-2011 04:56 PM
January List ChaseTheAce The Marketplace 27 02-04-2010 11:29 PM
Wednesday, January 20 adlacro Vacations & Road Trips 0 01-14-2010 08:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.