Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Calvert is probably the best for the beginners and near impossible to lose a disc. Its still fun for advanced players and its easiest to get to. Its also the best to play when its really hot because its all shaded.
+1 to this. Calvert is not 'exciting' by modern DG standards but is great in the summer time - lots of shade and no elevation. You could play two rounds and not feel totally beat.

I'm disappointed in reading the hate for Calvert in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 256
Niced 43 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
+1 to this. Calvert is not 'exciting' by modern DG standards but is great in the summer time - lots of shade and no elevation. You could play two rounds and not feel totally beat.

I am a Calvert hater but not nearly as much as I hate Shumaker
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
don't see much hate (other than prerube). It's not an "out and back" course. Calvert is just a big square plot of land with spotty trees and scattered baskets. I agree it's great for beginners. I learned a lot playing that course frequently last year. But these courses aren't very common anymore and most (like prerube) think it's a flawed design. Me and him have that debate every month it seems.

One heads-up about: Sometimes there is pedestrian spillage onto the disc golf area on busy dayswith non-dg'ers lounging around the course. This gets frustrating when those people don't speak english, which is highly likely.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,397 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
don't see much hate (other than prerube). It's not an "out and back" course. Calvert is just a big square plot of land with spotty trees and scattered baskets. I agree it's great for beginners. I learned a lot playing that course frequently last year. But these courses aren't very common anymore and most (like prerube) think it's a flawed design. Me and him have that debate every month it seems.

One heads-up about: Sometimes there is pedestrian spillage onto the disc golf area on busy dayswith non-dg'ers lounging around the course. This gets frustrating when those people don't speak english, which is highly likely.
Its a historic course, the first in MD. I never have a bad time playing there, you can easily skip to another hole. You don't speak your native PG County? I'll yell, "fore" when I'm throwing my putter on them, its not going to hurt.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Calvert is historic and it is a change of pace from the other courses, so I would not want it changed, It fills a needed void for open easy courses in our area, but I just do not like throwing when I can see 3 baskets in front of me and I hope I am aiming at the right one. I also do not like being able to see the entire course while playing, I like my Disc Golf a little more personal.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 189
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I like Calvert
Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
I like Calvert
That is because every hole is a wide open putt for you.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 643
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

1) Looks like Bluemont and Giles Run have decent ratings out of the closer parks in VA - if I only have time for one, which should it be? If I had to choose between those two I'd choose Giles. However if you have trouble staying on some fairways at Giles it can turn nasty, and there is pretty much no shade. Bluemont gets way to crowded and overlaps alot, there is vareity and it is beginner friendly to an extent but your time could be better spent else where.

2) I'd like to check Maryland off my state list too - so should I try Seneca Creek, Darnestown, or Calvert Rd? Calvert as stated very beginner friendly if your going to bring out a group I would suggest this or Pohick. Darnestown is my fav in the area, not as polished as some of the others but a good challenge and less crowded. I'd be happy to show you around if available. Seneca is just around the corner so to say from Darnestown and a great overall course, you wouldn't regret making the trip, hit them both and it's totally with it.

3) Which of these are easier to get to by car? I'm not familiar with DC but I can work a GPS. Giles is just off 95, Pohick is the same exit just a few more mile in the oppisite direction. Calvert is kinda just off 95 as well. Neither Darnestown or Seneca are hard to find but are a few more miles off the freeways. Bluemont is the hardest to find being it's a decent size park with lots of different parking lots.

4) One last question - if I convince some family members (beginners) to play one course, where would they have the best experience? Calvert or Pohick
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 271
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with the others, just wanted to add, from Alexandria, Calvert is the closet MD course. It can be played easily under an hour by yourself.

Giles and Pohick are approximately the same distance, but Pohick has an entrance fee, while Giles does not.

HTH

Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,436 Times in 649 Posts

were i you i would go to seneca on my own and calvert or bluemont with the beginners. bluemont offers appeal to a wide variety of players. you can challenge yourself on the longs while the noobs play the shorts.

imo seneca and patapsco are roughly equal in quality as the best in maryland. seneca is closer to dc though.

if it were winter i would recommend giles and rockburn but it ain't winter.