Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 36
Niced 25 Times in 10 Posts
Default Wilson, NC ??

Does anyone know what is happening with disc golf in Wilson, NC?

I heard tonight the baskets at Toisnot Park have been pulled. I've also heard a new course is going in at Wilson Lake, with eight holes in the ground there now.

Anyone know the story here?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't know anything about the old course but I hear that Wilson Lake is suppose to be about 6,000 feet in length. Basically it is will be 2 nines that are completely different with the front being shorter and easier. back much longer. I guess they are trying to provide something for everybody. From what I hear it should be playable soon.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Eagle Member

OK, so I talked with a buddy from Wilson tonight. Yes, Toisnot is extinct and the baskets from that course are being used for Wilson Lake. 17 are in the ground and my friend says it looks like the last basket is waiting for for a mound to be built. He's played the course. About 2/3 of the holes have water in play. There are some long holes on the back nine. Hole 18 has two tees now and it looks like additional tees are being planned.

Guess I'll have to get down there to see it for myself soon.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 117
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow, was just there a month ago. i cant wait to see the new course, will water come into play?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 43
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Somebody needs to do a little work with the Wilson Lake course link. I tried to locate the course by using the map location tab and it showed it to be about 5 miles south of Wilson Lake. I don't think that is correct. It would be nice to have an address or long. and lat. Especially if you are like me and not familiar with the area. I tend to rely on the old gps. I believe that this may be a Russell Schwarz Design course
Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 271
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't see it when I use the map browser

Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Eagle Member

Went out and played the new Wilson course yesterday. It seems it's Lake Wilson, not Wilson Lake and it's on Lake Wilson Road. Sorry, I don't have a GPS and a buddy drove, so I can't even provide decent directions. It's a well established park though, so it shouldn't be that tough to find if you're looking for it.

It's an absolutely beautiful course. Opens up with a few easy warm-up holes that are manicured like ball golf courses. Water runs along the left side of these first few holes. Should be no issue for experienced players, but I can just see the noobs throwing the high hyzers into the lake. The back nine has a few really long holes and the water is on the right side for few of the later holes. Two water carries, but both are short enough most people won't sweat them. To me, the only real hazard from the water is getting an ugly kick off a tree. There are posts to find the tees, but no signage yet. Hope that's in the works because there are several places with multiple baskets in view.

DISCatcher baskets are single chain, but they catch fine. Teepads are natural and seem to be marked as if permanent pads will be installed. There is some fluffy undergrowth on a few bacl nine holes that can really hide a disc. Using a spotter is advised. The sleeve for the #8 basket is in the ground, but the basket wasn't in on Labor Day. It's kinda funny - they built a mound but are putting the basket in front of it. Why wouldn't the basket go on top of the mound? As it is, the new mound like a backstop.

When they get the teepads installed, and if they cut back the disc-hiding undergrowth, this course will be a "must-play" course in eastern NC. Very nice as it is now.