Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 206
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Washington DC / Alexandria

Hey everyone -

I will be at a family reunion in Washington DC in a few weeks, and we're staying in Alexandria. Can anyone offer suggestions on some local courses?

1) Looks like Bluemont and Giles Run have decent ratings out of the closer parks in VA - if I only have time for one, which should it be?

2) I'd like to check Maryland off my state list too - so should I try Seneca Creek, Darnestown, or Calvert Rd?

3) Which of these are easier to get to by car? I'm not familiar with DC but I can work a GPS.

4) One last question - if I convince some family members (beginners) to play one course, where would they have the best experience?

Thanks in advance!
Garrett
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 256
Niced 43 Times in 24 Posts

Giles is a beast that you do not want to play alone, read some of the latest reviews.
Bluemont is a great 9 holer with 3 separate pads so it plays like 27. Neither are difficult to get to by car, but finding the correct parking lot at Bluemont is difficult.

Bluemont beginner tees are very family friendly, Giles would make them NEVER want to pick up a disc again. Giles is for experienced players who want a challenge.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Best courses in Maryland are Patapsco and Rockburn. Calvert is just old, nothing very special. Darnestown does not have all the baskets in, but is a nice course.
there is always prerube's playground just 12 miles from DC
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Bluemont is a very good 9 holer with 3 unique teepads per hole.
Seneca and Darnestown is worth the trip around the beltway if you have a full day to play 2 courses (seneca has 27 holes).
But Patapso is the best course in Maryland, IMHO. And is most worth using up one full day. 2 perminent baskets and teepads on every hole, groomed and maintained well.

Loriella in Virginia isn't that far from alexandria and a fun play. Pratt Park even is a bit closer has some novelty to it.

Calvert is free to play, old, but easy and accessable (as long as it's not crowded). *sideways thumb*

All the below are
I suggest skipping Rockburn and Giles during the summer (Ticks and Thorns will occupy more of your time than disc golfing).

Forget Burke Lake.... it's an expensive play for a small, unchallenging course.

I hear Pohick has gotten a recent facelift, but i wouldn't waste my trip playing it.

That should cover everything notable in reach. If Prerube and I didn't cover cover it, forgetaboutit.

Last edited by jrawk; 06-05-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 PM

You could pay Jrawk to get you into Dahlgren naval weapons station, that is a Houck course that few people have ever played.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 206
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fantastic.... thanks for the info Prerube and Jrawk. That helps a lot.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 580
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default Your questions, my take

For all your questions, I'd suggest read the reviews, and determine for yourself which courses best meet your criteria. That being said ...

1) If you like your courses on the open side, and don't minding battling razor-sharp bramble and/or ticks if your disc goes astray, play Giles with its two-baskets/two-tees per hole. Bluemont is much more compact, but plays near non-player areas, and has three tees per hole - and about half the holes have two baskets, too.

2) Seneca is considered by many as the top course in Maryland, although Ptap has many supporters, too. Darnestown is quite interesting, but can be tough to navigate. and certainly has disc-loss potential. Calvert ...

4) Calvert is your best bet for beginners, and can also provide some challenges for experienced players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMSdrum View Post
Hey everyone -

I will be at a family reunion in Washington DC in a few weeks, and we're staying in Alexandria. Can anyone offer suggestions on some local courses?

1) Looks like Bluemont and Giles Run have decent ratings out of the closer parks in VA - if I only have time for one, which should it be?

2) I'd like to check Maryland off my state list too - so should I try Seneca Creek, Darnestown, or Calvert Rd?

3) Which of these are easier to get to by car? I'm not familiar with DC but I can work a GPS.

4) One last question - if I convince some family members (beginners) to play one course, where would they have the best experience?

Thanks in advance!
Garrett
Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,399 Times in 1,495 Posts

I agree with swatso...
Calvert is probably the best for the beginners and near impossible to lose a disc. Its still fun for advanced players and its easiest to get to. Its also the best to play when its really hot because its all shaded.

Seneca and Patapsco are both top notch courses and well worth the drive. They are fairly easy to get to, but can be a bit rough for beginners. Rockburn is in full disc eating mode, if you are feeling lucky.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.1
Courses Played: 92
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

You should post up which day & course you are going to play. I would be interested in Driving up to meet some other DGCR members to enjoy a round.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 87
Niced 40 Times in 27 Posts

I would check out Pohick with the beginners. It's a nice short course that can give newcomers a nice introduction to the sport.