Old 12-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with Guidelines for Rating Nine-holes

I’ve noticed many nine hole courses have received much lower ratings than eighteens in this sites course reviews. I’m wondering if people are giving it a lower rating just because it is a nine hole.

Does anyone know of a nine hole courses that have a four or five rating?
If not, then what is the general consensus in rating a nine hole course?
Is it the same as judging an eighteen?
Or should one be judging nines to nines?
And, what would a perfect nine hole course consist of?

I would like to post some reviews for nine holes and I want to give them a fair rating. Please help me understand this better.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 332
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't go over 3. Otherwise you get the big stick.....
Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 PM

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not necessarily the feedback I was looking for...but, the big stick it humorous. But seriously, a rating of three is the best you should give a nine?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 828
Niced 27 Times in 16 Posts

I rate every course based on how much I want to go back, mostly based on fun, variety and challenge. Because of that, 9ers tend to get lower ratings on my scale unless they're really well designed. It also doesn't help that the majority of 9 hole courses are little pitch n putts and tend to be less interesting or challenging In the first place.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 332
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Lol. The 9 holers are... say.... limited to a 5 rating ability in my opinion. I'd say a 9 holer can't get more than a 3 but some will disagree. 18 holes are the standard for the possibilities of a 5 disc rating.
EDIT:^^^^what mash said
Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 84
Niced 17 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I rate every course based on how much I want to go back, mostly based on fun, variety and challenge. Because of that, 9ers tend to get lower ratings on my scale unless they're really well designed. It also doesn't help that the majority of 9 hole courses are little pitch n putts and tend to be less interesting or challenging In the first place.
This discussion is timely. I called you out today, Mashnut, in my rating of Freedom Park. We are in agreement that it is fairly low on fun factor, but I can't see giving a 0.5 overall rating to any safe clean course that is easily navigable with bathrooms and two sets of concrete tees. I gave it a 2.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 308
Niced 47 Times in 18 Posts

Mashnut summed it up nicely. I have played some really good 9-holers, but so many of them are pretty boring. I have rated a couple 9-holers 3.5, but if I am choosing between a good 9 and a good 18 to go and play, I will usually choose the 18. (= a relative higher rating)

I would not be opposed to giving a 9-holer a 4.0-5.0 if it was awesomely deserving, however.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 84
Niced 17 Times in 13 Posts

I remember a thread here about the hardest hole in disc golf requireing a 500+ foot water carry, and it was at a nine hole course. They can be challenging. However, they will typically have less variety than an 18 hole course, and that is a big factor.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 241
Niced 57 Times in 31 Posts

Usually not as much time, effort and design is put into nine hole courses because they are built for recreational play. Eighteen hole courses are usually given more money, better coordination, land, volunteers,course design, etc. so they are usually rated higher. Courses with more holes also offer more variety in hole distance, flight shape, double fairways, obstacles, trees or open or mix, etc. I'm not sure because I'm too lazy to check but out of my 160+ reviews I think I've only given one 3.5 rating of a nine hole course.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 828
Niced 27 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
This discussion is timely. I called you out today, Mashnut, in my rating of Freedom Park. We are in agreement that it is fairly low on fun factor, but I can't see giving a 0.5 overall rating to any safe clean course that is easily navigable with bathrooms and two sets of concrete tees. I gave it a 2.
You're welcome to your opinion, but a wide open 9 with almost no trees and no elevation is about at the bottom of my rankings. I'm definitely not in the group that automatically gives a course a disc or two just for being there and having baskets and tees. I would rather play object golf in an interesting park than play a boring "real" course with no variety like Freedom.